Reverse-discrimination

sunshinesmiles

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am the one who usually gets the resume's at work first. First thing I look for is spelling errors, then experience, wording, punctuation............how the resume is layed out. Another big thing is refrence's, if you list them, it looks good..............don't list them looks like you have something to hide !!!! A bonus is having a refrence letter from a previous employee attached to your resume !!! When you go in personally thats a bonus, especially when a company is hiring, but ensure you are not over dressed or under dressed......look like a clean cut guy.............depending..............you could get an interview on the spot.

gibsons

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
and of the 100's of resumes i go through, if i could find a couple that didn't start out by saying " hard working, dependable, reliable, able to work alone with little or no supervision", i would be surprised.
I am the one who usually gets the resume's at work first. First thing I look for is spelling errors, then experience, wording, punctuation............how the resume is layed out. Another big thing is refrence's, if you list them, it looks good..............don't list them looks like you have something to hide !!!! A bonus is having a refrence letter from a previous employee attached to your resume !!! When you go in personally thats a bonus, especially when a company is hiring, but ensure you are not over dressed or under dressed......look like a clean cut guy.............depending..............you could get an interview on the spot.

MATTIAC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When I put a add out for an employee I got countless emails and calls but was more impressed with the few who would deliver in person. Seeing what they drive how they dress ask them a few questions on the spot you get a good judge as to what type of employee they would be. I know you can't always foresee everything it's little things that stand out

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
If you apply for a position with said oil companies operations in India/saudi/chile then you can claim visible minority status........

Another job hunting tip... watch your FB privacy settings, one of the first things I do is creep on potential employees, you'd be amazed what some people post publicly. I know our recruiters do the same thing.

MATTIAC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you apply for a position with said oil companies operations in India/saudi/chile then you can claim visible minority status........

Another job hunting tip... watch your FB privacy settings, one of the first things I do is creep on potential employees, you'd be amazed what some people post publicly. I know our recruiters do the same thing.

Ill admit, ive done that

Rneddel

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Even though im young i have applied for high end jobs, such as electrical, gas fitting, oilfield hauling etc.(I hate those sh!tty fast food crap jobs)
Each company I go in talk to the managers, but never seem to get a call back. I know its because of my age but everyone has to start somewhere.

Rneddel

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

If you have nothing to hide, hide nothing haha

lloydguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
now it has been my experience , in hiring/firing the applicants attitude is self evident and will get the job or not. just by this post i think i already know the story, and it is not reverse descrimination on my part. lets face it you have no experience and how you prsent yourself is what will open or close doors. those that make demands usually get shown the door.

Are you saying I've gone to interviews and demanded thing's?I have had 1 interview out of all of the resume's I have
dropped off over the past few years.For the most part I apply online though.As per advise directly from the employer.
I was nervous as hell in that interview I had afew weeks ago,and I'm sure I didnt do that well. They asked a million
questions and my answers were more honest that politically correct.
You are correct that I have no experiance as a field operator and the only plant hours I have were the firing hours
I took to complete my 4th class ticket.
I have my picker ticket as well and have been working on pumpjack's for about the last 4 years. In my cover letter
for my resume,I say that I feel I would be an asset as a field opp.where pumpjacks are used because of my extensive
knowledge with them.
I feel I would have a brighter future continuing with my 4th class than running a picker,so thats what I'm trying to do.
I'm just not having much luck yet.
If I could get afew interviews and I blow them,then that's my fault.I just cant seem to get to the interview stage.
It Sounds like you have already made up your mind as to the type of guy I am already for some reason?

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Are you saying I've gone to interviews and demanded thing's?I have had 1 interview out of all of the resume's I have
dropped off over the past few years.For the most part I apply online though.As per advise directly from the employer.
I was nervous as hell in that interview I had afew weeks ago,and I'm sure I didnt do that well. They asked a million
You are correct that I have no experiance as a field operator and the only plant hours I have were the firing hours
I have my picker ticket as well and have been working on pumpjack's for about the last 4 years. In my cover letter
for my resume,I say that I feel I would be an asset as a field opp.where pumpjacks are used because of my extensive
knowledge with them.
I feel I would have a brighter future continuing with my 4th class than running a picker,so thats what I'm trying to do.
If I could get afew interviews and I blow them,then that's my fault.I just cant seem to get to the interview stage.
It Sounds like you have already made up your mind as to the type of guy I am already for some reason?

I think he is following the stereotype of alberta, that anyone with a heartbeat can pretty much find a decent job right now. Some rare cases, but for the most part if you can't find a job you are the problem. Not saying you personally, but resume, or interview skills, or the jobs your applying for are way out of reach something likely needs to be changed to be sucessfull.

byronkentgraham

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A great man once said: [h=1]"I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are."[/h]

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Ditto! FB pics I think played a big part of costing me a interview a while ago. Can't say I blame them though......FB even took them down.

LID

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have had 1 interview out of all of the resume's I have
A failed interview is not wasted time. You were nervous and it may have made you hesitant or made you look uncomfortable. Every interview you need to look at how you dealt with questions and think about how you'll respond next time. As you have more, you'll get better and look more natural. It's a tough call whether you answer honestly or "politically correctly", you have to feel out the interviewer.
Companies almost always say "apply online", especially if the only person you talk to on the phone is the secretary.

lloydguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Awhile ago I dropped off my resume at a Husky facility, and I was told to NEVER do that again.
As luck would have it I knew the guy from the plant where I took my firing hours at afew years prior.
He took my resume,but said As per Husky policy EVERYTHING must be done online.
I'm sure with smaller companies the qualifications speek louder than the mumbo jumbo,but with BIG OIL
I think its who you know or where their "equal right's" are at.
I havent met a girl yet in the patch that didn't get the first job she applied for(field opp.s)
:confused::confused::confused:
I'm trying to get a feild opp.job just to get my "foot in the door" and see if I can get into a battery or steam plant in the future,but you goda start somewhere.

PS. thanks for all of you that replied and didn't bash my head in.

Barry Barton

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
knowledge with them.
one thing u forgot to tell us was your experience u lack that, when I hire I look at that first and if u have none or u have 5 jobs in 2yrs. That means u are going to jump to another company for a buck or two more, after all the time I would put into u for training . I welcome young peaple into my company with open arms but to many of them have the wrong adatute, they think school is everything , to me it shows u are interested in the business but it still shows me u have lots to learn. Most of the younger generation have the aditude the we owe them something , the best advice I can give u is start from the bottom and show the boss what u can do and stop blaming everyone else. Also young peaple need to do is shut up and listen to the old farts and show them the respect they deserve because they didn't get there because their stupid. Some of them may not have the education and some do so learn to listen and they will teach u every thing they know. Most jobs do need education now adays but when u get the job u will find it only touched the surface and u will then start to learn as long as u are willing to listen. Just a little advice from a old fart.

lloydguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
CNRL is looking for peeps... husky are pricks to work for anyway

Thats who my interview was with afew weeks ago,and I'm pretty sure I stumbled too much on some of the
questions.
I get a little carried away with some of my RANTS.I'm just frustrated,after dropping off resume's
over and over.I have pages of "thank's for your application" emails from doing the online thing
But,thats how they want it done,so thats how I keep doing it.

bubs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
With all the Thermal projects Husky is tied up in right now they are really trying to hire only 2nd Class tickets. A 4th with little to no experience is a tough sell. PM me what battery you took a resume too and were told thats not how to do it, I can maybe offer some advice on who to go and see out in the field.

lloydguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
one thing u forgot to tell us was your experience u lack that, when I hire I look at that first and if u have none or u have 5 jobs in 2yrs. That means u are going to jump to another company for a buck or two more, after all the time I would put into u for training . I welcome young peaple into my company with open arms but to many of them have the wrong adatute, they think school is everything , to me it shows u are interested in the business but it still shows me u have lots to learn. Most of the younger generation have the aditude the we owe them something , the best advice I can give u is start from the bottom and show the boss what u can do and stop blaming everyone else. Also young peaple need to do is shut up and listen to the old farts and show them the respect they deserve because they didn't get there because their stupid. Some of them may not have the education and some do so learn to listen and they will teach u every thing they know. Most jobs do need education now adays but when u get the job u will find it only touched the surface and u will then start to learn as long as u are willing to listen. Just a little advice from a old fart.

Yes, I lack experiece as a field opp.I have none.As far as starting at the bottom and working my way up,a field opp
is an entry level position.I am trying to start at the bottom.
I am NOT a young pup.Been in the work force a long time,but only in the oil patch for 6 years.
I know people that cant find a dipstick on their car that have the job's that I am seeking.

lloydguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sorry for sounding or acting like a jerk, if any of you took it that way.I open my mouth without
thinking about it first sometimes.I never meant to sound like I had qualifications coming out of my
ying yang.Just a guy with entry level tickets looking for an entry level job.

Top Bottom