Revelstoke Search and Rescue Call out Saturday Night on Sale

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
good job Revy S & A guys, I'm sure these guys will make sure that everyone involved, both lost and balance of the group will learn a valuable lesson about mtn riding, or , if it was irresponsible BS make sure that if possible some retribution is made.
To the S & M heroes who are all knowing and above the crowd, same old crap, must get boring being all that and a bag of chips , some of you guys should try and shrink up your egos.

team dirt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledseymourarm.ca
good job Revy S & A guys, I'm sure these guys will make sure that everyone involved, both lost and balance of the group will learn a valuable lesson about mtn riding, or , if it was irresponsible BS make sure that if possible some retribution is made.
To the S & M heroes who are all knowing and above the crowd, same old crap, must get boring being all that and a bag of chips , some of you guys should try and shrink up your egos.

Ya it sure would be a harsh day to be the almighty sledder when one day something completely unforeseen happens and they need to depend on S&R. Hopefully they can keep it secret enough not to be labeled as rough as some of the terms they have been throwing around.

I think as the sleds get better and better we are going to be pushing them to go farther and farther which is increasing the likelihood of something happening that we were not expecting. Be glad for organizations such as revy S&R as where I ride we don't have any help like this and depend soley on each other and that is a scary thought sometimes when you get into a sticky situation.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya it sure would be a harsh day to be the almighty sledder when one day something completely unforeseen happens and they need to depend on S&R. Hopefully they can keep it secret enough not to be labeled as rough as some of the terms they have been throwing around.

I think as the sleds get better and better we are going to be pushing them to go farther and farther which is increasing the likelihood of something happening that we were not expecting. Be glad for organizations such as revy S&R as where I ride we don't have any help like this and depend soley on each other and that is a scary thought sometimes when you get into a sticky situation.

i dont think anyone here is speaking to "unforseen situations" but there are plenty of situations that can be avoided by knowledge of the area, knowing the limits of your machine and proper communication. it can happen to the best of the best! but your plan should never fail if only one of your tools fail

Last edited:

kimrick

RIP Fellow Sledder
Reaction score
i dont think anyone here is speaking to "unforseen situations" but there are plenty of situations that can be avoided by knowledge of the area, knowing the limits of your machine and proper communication. it can happen to the best of the best! but your plan should never fail if only one of your tools fail

Kinda just like that picture you posted of an unmanned sled flying throught the air....Earlier this season
All planned and completely under control??????
Yah right.....!!!!

You have to concede sometimes Maxwell.... LOL Ha Ha!

pistoncontracting

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Biggest problem is the amount of people going to revy without a guide or knowing where and where not to go

It's just so busy with people that never been before ect now....

A good guide, or person to ride with that knows the area well is worth every penny

If it socks in, blows hard ect u need to know where u are, where to go and where not to go

I'm looking into guiding , have spent just about two years riding local areas for this reason... Most of it now, I don't even need a gps and can come back a fast or slow way when needed.... It comes from 2000 km just in one main big area, and 4000 km total with all types of conditions

Its not just Revy.

I blame cheap money, and awesome factory machines.

Regulations are the only thing that is going to stop it Im afraid. People hate government interference, but unfortunately, too many people now just can NOT look after themselves.

Anyone can make a mistake or run into trouble. Far too many though, are just ****ing stupid, and to ignorant to listen to help from seasoned riders.

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
nailed it. with todays machines ive yet to find a spot they wont come out of with a few tries. 100% of people i have helped off the mountain end up going down down down down down looking for a spot to turn around rather than sidehilling/button hooking and going back up. ( a skill perhaps not learned yet). down is not the answer unless you know where it ends up.

Never found a hill you couldn't get up, wow, everyone you ever helped needed to have skills comparable to yours , holy moly , not knowing exactly where they're going, imagine that haven't ridden the same hill for 8 years spevery weekend, dumba$$es eh, just think , if everybody was as superb and talented as you, we wouldn't need S & R or avy courses or guides, or trail signs. Maybe you and a couple of the other heroes on here could give us all a little test attrailheads to insure our worthiness. Your arrogance is only exceeded by your ego.

JungleJim

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As always a BIG thanks to the dedicated S&R! I am sure the group that needed help were sure glad to see them arrive. To the those out there that believe it should never happen to them, must be nice to be all knowing with wonderful everlasting luck to never have mechanical breakdowns, an injury or unexpected weather blow in. Its usually two or more things that come together to turn a bad situation worse quickly. I do agree that as a sledder we all need to take the responsibility to be as prepared as possible. Technology has come so far that many situations could be avoided. We came across a guy who had been left behind by his "buddies" for three hours and it was dark! Simple things like sticking together or if separated waiting at the last place you were together plus radios go a long way to getting out as a group. Another great idea is a quick text to a loved one or good friend letting them know where you're riding and when you're off the hill. Ride safe, have fun!

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow your an ass! Slow clap for Lenny[/

And you're an arrogant smart a$$ . Keep your applause, it doesn't mean much.
Lots of dummy's in the mountains, lots of newbies on sleds capable of more than they can handle, lots of guys having bad luck, and lots of people riding new areas , can't do much about that, I mean normal sledders, not legends like you . Gotta just hope the number of emergencies diminish and help out the dumb ones as well as the inexperienced.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Its not just Revy.

I blame cheap money, and awesome factory machines.

Regulations are the only thing that is going to stop it Im afraid. People hate government interference, but unfortunately, too many people now just can NOT look after themselves.

Anyone can make a mistake or run into trouble. Far too many though, are just ****ing stupid, and to ignorant to listen to help from seasoned riders.
True, but this year revy is way busier than normal

Because of lack of snow every where

Bringing in people from way out...

Kyle91rs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Man there's a lot of idiotic comments on this thread. In a perfect world we wouldn't need to even talk about this, but it's not a perfect world. You'll never get to the point where 100% of the people riding on a mountain are 100% trained and qualified and able to handle certain situations like some of you claim you can. We were all beginners once. I know for a fact if I was on a hill and one of my buddies got lost, and I exhausted all my efforts to find him, I wouldn't hesitate to call s&r. Some people need to come down of their high horses and realize this isn't a time to come on the Internet and call people retards cuz they got lost on a mountain an needed to call a few fellers outta bed to help out.. How about you put your effort instead into trying to educate that person and others about certain equipment that would have helped them out. I read the post chad put on fb, apparently his type of radios didn't work in that area. I'm a living example of this. I just had an accident myself in valemount, broke my femur, needed to be air lifted to an ambulance. Once it all blew over, and I shared my story, there were people saying "oh he didn't know the area, he wasn't prepared to be on the mountain, etc..", all of which I admitted to. But what really inspired me was the people like Curtis who took the time to tell me what I need to add to my back pack instead of sit behind a computer or smartphone and act like mr. Perfect.
Great job by s&r as always, I'm sure this goes without saying, your efforts are always greatly appreciated, no matter the severity of the incident.
Thats my rant.

kovs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wish this new tapatalk would let me give you a huge thumbs up kyle91rs. Well spoken

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm a member of the Vernon S&R and have no problem heading out at anytime of day or night. Call comes in, i drop and go and no matter how silly the situation is or serious, our member's are more then happy to be there to assist.
We rather be called out for simple assistant as in helping someone find their way out or a rescue then a doing a recovery.
Lot's of arrogance on this thread but that's typical of internet forum's.
No body can be 100% prepared for every situation and every body makes decision's right or wrong according to their situation and knowledge at the time. So unless you were there in the same situation at the same time you would have no knowledge of the fellows predicament. Surprisingly you might of done the same.
Mental fatigue and one's state of mind play's a huge role in one's ability to make decisions.
Unless you have been trained in survival or have a military background in mental stress control, people do weird thing's when under certain mental stress and being under such a situation is mentally exhausting to the majority of normal individuals.
Good job boy's of the Revy S&R.

X-Treme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.robinsautomotive.ca
Pretty sure the SAR guys know what they're getting into when they sign up to be a member of the SAR team. For the guys beaking, I hope that one day, YOU are a "retard" and make a mistake, and they DON'T come and get you!! Enjoy rotting on the side of a mountain.

camsledhead

Reaction score
Bottom line guys! Is that s..t happens and nobody should be ridiculed or criticized for making a mistake......everyone makes them, and if you say you don't your full of sh.t hoe i never screw up where these guys are riding id never hear the end of it or prolly be left behind cuz im stupid for screwing up. We should all be thank full that there are people who are willing to risk their lives at 2 in the afternoon or 2 in the morning to come help me with my screw up.

Thanks to all the s&r guys and gals out there..................

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Glad everyone is Ok and hats off to all S&R tat go out to rescue those that need rescuing.
There are lots of basic steps that keep people from needing help.
1) You need at least three sleds to venture out any distance once you enter the alpine - this should be the very minimum. Haul out hurt buddy, pull out sleds gone over and edge, avy rescue, build shelter for overnight stay
2) First aid kit - there is lots of info on this site for what is needed, you will never pack to much first aid gear and you better have formal first aid training
3) Survival kit - this is above the food you better have. Two bic lighters, sealed waterproof matches, fire starter stick/birthday candles to start a fire, saw, survival blanket. Formal winter survival training.
4) GPS, Spot or Sat phone with emerg numbers for when you do need to call S&R or family to update a situation
5) AST1 training

This is the the bare minimum that a person should know, have and be trained in to ride and be able to look after yourselves. If you are not willing to do the bare minimum then you are accepting potentially fatal risk situations not only for yourself but for S&R members also and nobody has the right to do this. If some one every started doing investigations into rescues and recoveries I think it would show how ill prepared many of us sledders are.

For the last 14 years in the mountains this is how our group has ridden and gear has been updated as newer better gear hits the market. We have dragged out a lot of dead sleds, dragged out other peoples dead sleds, gone back the next day after doubling out, patched people up so they could get stitched/patched up in town, choppered out one broken back and two dead sleds beyond our recovery abilities, and did one avalance resue.
We have been through a lot but have never lost control of a situation for what I belive is due to common sense, gear and training.

Everyone should be able to enjoy the thrill of being in the mountains and I take my kids every year with no fear because we head out prepared and stay within our abilities. If you are not prepared stay close to the cabin. Do not put yourself and others at resk unnecessarily! Even as a group save exploring for the good weather days, the mountains are not moving any time soon.

A friend of mine is in surgery today and he let me know that he will be loosing some fingers and toes due to frost bite. He is neither an idot, a retart or inexperienced but one of the good guys in the world that assumed some risk and if not for the McBride S&R team it would be much worse. I wished him a speedy recovery.

S&R teams are needed as human error is within our nature for a thrill. Let's just keep the S&R teams happy and try a little self preservation through training and preparing and maybe we will only have to talk to S&R teams at the Mountain Mainia events.

May all go as well as possible today for you Ryan and may you have a speedy recovery.

Last edited:

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Glad everyone is Ok and hats off to all S&R tat go out to rescue those that need rescuing.
There are lots of basic steps that keep people from needing help.
1) You need at least three sleds to venture out any distance once you enter the alpine - this should be the very minimum. Haul out hurt buddy, pull out sleds gone over and edge, avy rescue, build shelter for overnight stay
2) First aid kit - there is lots of info on this site for what is needed, you will never pack to much first aid gear and you better have formal first aid training
3) Survival kit - this is above the food you better have. Two bic lighters, sealed waterproof matches, fire starter stick/birthday candles to start a fire, saw, survival blanket. Formal winter survival training.
4) GPS, Spot or Sat phone with emerg numbers for when you do need to call S&R or family to update a situation
5) AST1 training

This is the the bare minimum that a person should know, have and be trained in to ride and be able to look after yourselves. If you are not willing to do the bare minimum then you are accepting potentially fatal risk situations not only for yourself but for S&R members also. If some one every started doing investigations into rescues and recoveries I think it would show how ill prepared many of us sledders are.

For the last 14 years in the mountains this is how our group has ridden and gear has been updated as newer better gear hits the market. We have dragged out a lot of dead sleds, dragged out other peoples dead sleds, gone back the next day after doubling out, patched people up so they could get stitched/patched up in town, choppered out one broken back and two dead sleds beyond our recovery abilities, and did one avalance resue.
We have been through a lot but have never lost control of a situation for what I belive is due to common sense, gear and training.

Everyone should be able to enjoy the thrill of being in the mountains and I take my kids every year with no fear because we head out prepared and stay within our abilities. If you are not prepared stay close to the cabin. Do not put yourself and others at resk unnecessarily! Even as a group save exploring for the good weather days, the mountains are not moving any time soon.

A friend of mine is in surgery today and he let me know that he will be loosing some fingers and toes due to frost bite. He is neither an idot, a retart or inexperienced but one of the good guys in the world that assumed some risk and if not for the McBride S&R team it would be much worse. I wished him a speedy recovery.

S&R teams are needed as human error is within our nature for a thrill. Let's just keep the S&R teams happy and try a little self preservation through training and preparing and maybe we will only have to talk to S&R teams at the Mountain Mainia events.

May all go as well as possible today for you Ryan and may you have a speedy recovery.

Very well said!

Top Bottom