Revelstoke avalanche

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No, but if they would have put it in Search mode (if the unit has it, which I would assume so with out knowing which unit it was and if it had a revert function) it would still be powered on. That way, with it powered on, in search mode, and it having a revert feature (maybe) should there be another slide, atleast the person who was found in the first place isn't now being burried without a working beacon? Or does no one else feel that is correct.

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good point. Now I'll have to go look at my beacon tonight and see if it flips back to "send" after being left on "search" for a certain period of time.....

Edit: if it was an old F1ND becon....shutting it off would be the quickest way to look for other signals.....

Carbon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Quick question as I'm headed to Frisby this weekend, where is this deadman's area? I'm fairly framiliar with Frisby but not all of the individual area names. We usually ride i nthe trees o nthe south end of the ridge. Is this at the north end near the tower or closer to the GH cabin?

Thanks,

Shawn.

yes its the east face,lakeside.and its north of groomers nob,is part of carbou closer area. and yeah across from THAT other cabin haha,its one of only two ares you need the big sleds

on this map it all above the deadman tack.

Attachments

• deadman.jpg
    deadman.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 75

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Sorry, but the attitude that "although the danger rating is high, it shouldn't be a problem" is incorrect IMO. Having a false sense of security is the reason people get into trouble. If the danger rating is high, its high for a reason and should be respected, take extra caution.

Not directing this at you, just stating an observation. If people get the idea that Fernie is somehow much safer than Revy right now, they may choose to head down there with the idea that somehow the risk is less, whether they are being stupid or not. Fernie has some big areas (Harvey etc) where people can get into trouble on wide open areas.

Although very tragic, I don't think anyone needs to be reminded of how dangerous the Fernie area can be in early season.

Know the risks and assess the areas before you ride. Snow pits need to be dug for a reason, conditions change daily out there. All this new snow we've had, has not had a chance to bond between the layers it seems. Make sure you're watching for the signs.

Just my observations. Thanks to carbondaddy for the update, good to hear sledders sharing the risk with others.

I just meant that with not enough snow yet, it should be too early for riders to be accessing the dangerous areas (ie. there shouldn't be very much climbing yet because of all the rocks still sticking out). I wasn't implying anything about the avalanche ratings. Maybe I should go back and edit my original post to change any misconceptions.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just meant that with not enough snow yet, it should be too early for riders to be accessing the dangerous areas (ie. there shouldn't be very much climbing yet because of all the rocks still sticking out). I wasn't implying anything about the avalanche ratings. Maybe I should go back and edit my original post to change any misconceptions.

No worries man, internet is a hard thing to gauge people's reactions and comments. Local snow conditions are appreciated, pls don't take my comments the wrong way, obviously I misunderstood your post.

There was an avy bulletin for the Fernie area last week already, couple skiers got caught in a size 3, just wanting people to know that even when we think it can't happen, it still can.
Avalanche Incident Report: 11/9/2009 : lizard bowl ,fernie alpine resort - Regional Discussion Forums

I just want people to be safe and informed.

08154XP

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just wondering why the guys avy bag did not inflate, that is scary as well. Was he not able to deploy because of not being able to pull the handle or did he give it a pull and it just malfunctioned?

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
On a less serious note, although it's greatly appreciated for the snow updates and detailed information, you HAVE to be making money of sledders coming to Fernie!

Most locals want the flock of sledders to stay away from their areas, but every post of yours is putting hype on Fernie.

Just curious, that's all. I figure you own a hotel, restuarant, dealership or something.

Yea, I own a whole bunch of things but nothing that makes money!! I'm just a retired old fart that wants to get the word out about the great riding in the SE Kootenay's. I'm a member of the Fernie Snowmobile Association and the Elkford Snowmobile Club and we are looking for progress or another boost to the local economy. If we have lots of riders we will have our SnowCats, cabins, etc. paid for and everybody wins.

I still keep hidden away areas secret so that we have our local spots but it is getting harder and harder so we just go and find new spots that are on the fringe.

shawnmcgr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Shouldnt really mater the exact spot in Frisby I would worry about ALL of Frisby and Revy in general as well as all of BC right now Huge snow this last few days let it settle or setup before you guys get to carried away

Oh I'm worried alright...that's why I'm asking. :)

It does not look like Avalanche.ca is publishing bulletins yet (a few general comments), so any info I can gather would help.

I've been monitoring weather for the area and the ski hill snow reports.

Thanks for the location Carbon!

fnDan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good point. Now I'll have to go look at my beacon tonight and see if it flips back to "send" after being left on "search" for a certain period of time.....

Edit: if it was an old F1ND becon....shutting it off would be the quickest way to look for other signals.....

Glad to hear this one is happy story in the end. Definitely an eye-opener and something to keep in mind so we don't repeat last years incidents.

From the BCA Tracker manual... fyi

Auto-Revert System: At startup, the user can engage the
Tracker’s auto-revert safety feature by pressing the options
button (yellow btn) while pressing and turning the on/off switch. With
auto-revert engaged, the Tracker will revert to transmit mode
after five minutes in search mode.
If auto-revert is engaged, “Ar” will be shown in the power
display after the diagnostic testing. If auto-revert is not
engaged, “nr” will be displayed.
If auto-revert has been engaged, then after five minutes in
search mode, an alarm will sound for ten seconds and "Ar" will
flash repeatedly in the distance indicator. To remain in search
mode, press the search/transmit button or the options button
at any time during the ten-second alarm period. If ten seconds
elapses, “tr” will appear and the Tracker will revert to transmit
mode.
If auto-revert is not engaged, the Tracker will sound a short
alarm every ten minutes to remind the user that he or she is in
search mode.

cobbycat

Reaction score
Just wondering why the guys avy bag did not inflate, that is scary as well. Was he not able to deploy because of not being able to pull the handle or did he give it a pull and it just malfunctioned?

don't know why it did not deploy yet but he pulled it three times!!

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

The best way on the SOS is to put it on search. That is what should be done anyways.
It is designed to be easy to pop the button if another slide occurs. I just bought the Pieps DSP and you have to flick the slider, but it is easy to do, you just have to remember to put it back to send. I think all transceivers do this though in an easy form,.

These guys were very fortunate to have experienced people on their side.

don't fool around, get educated in Avalanche training. I am sure it saved lives here.

mountainbigbull

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sounds like the slide was in around the circled area on my map?

deadman.jpg

I know a few years ago we got into a not a great situation just east of my summit waypoint, were the lines get close together as well.:eek:

Glad everyone made it out alive on this one, and speedy recover for the injured one!

carbondaddy

Reaction score
On that map it's the area just to the Right ( east ) of the flag were it shows the Summit 2.5 K. and just north of the Frisby dot.

Shibby!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yea, I own a whole bunch of things but nothing that makes money!! I'm just a retired old fart that wants to get the word out about the great riding in the SE Kootenay's. I'm a member of the Fernie Snowmobile Association and the Elkford Snowmobile Club and we are looking for progress or another boost to the local economy. If we have lots of riders we will have our SnowCats, cabins, etc. paid for and everybody wins.

I still keep hidden away areas secret so that we have our local spots but it is getting harder and harder so we just go and find new spots that are on the fringe.

Haha. Makes sense. Just thought I'd put that out there since I seen a few of your posts about Fernie.

I no doubt enjoy Fernie when I head down there. Only familiar with Morrisey(sP?) though.

Would love to find some new areas that are good for sledding and boarding though. The drive to Fernie just seems to go easier, especially when pulling heavy trailers.

atver

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Glad all turned out well and remember material things can be replaced but not a life.

carbondaddy

Reaction score
The main lay-of-the-land is east, but they were in a draw area that might have been more north facing. There is also 24 degrees of magnetic variation here which cause some confusion. A few of use went for a ride up Frisby today hoping for some visibility but just went to the cabin as it was apparent that there wasn't going to be any. Mucky! Lots of fresh snow but poor visibility. Those sleds might be there for a while!

Top Bottom