Revelstoke avalanche

carbondaddy

Reaction score
I had some friends caught in a series of avy's in the Deadmans area on Frisby yesterday. I'm not going to talk details, but I wanted to let everyone know that the conditions around here are not very good. The snow pack is very unstable so be very careful.
CD

ss_badaz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just signed myself up for another refresher course today with "Zac's" can never have enough training. Thanks for the heads up!

Carbon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Quick strong systems and big windloading, on big open faces.those are signs you need to learn and look for watching weather where you ride.

good there out!its getting deep fast play safe
we had sluffing in Quartz today down 500yard pitches

2c

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Hope all is Ok. Just a heads up to be extra carefull. Early season excitment can get you into trouble.Lets make it a safe year guys and Gals

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I had some friends caught in a series of avy's in the Deadmans area on Frisby yesterday. I'm not going to talk details, but I wanted to let everyone know that the conditions around here are not very good. The snow pack is very unstable so be very careful.
CD

Thanks for the post, CD. We don't have the wide open spaces down here and the land mines are still too prominent so our danger rating, although high, shouldn't be a problem unless one is really stupid. We are pretty much riding in the sloughs and tight trees.

Hope it worked out okay for you and your buddies.

Shibby!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the post, CD. We don't have the wide open spaces down here and the land mines are still too prominent so our danger rating, although high, shouldn't be a problem unless one is really stupid. We are pretty much riding in the sloughs and tight trees.

On a less serious note, although it's greatly appreciated for the snow updates and detailed information, you HAVE to be making money of sledders coming to Fernie!

Most locals want the flock of sledders to stay away from their areas, but every post of yours is putting hype on Fernie.

Just curious, that's all. I figure you own a hotel, restuarant, dealership or something.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Sorry, but the attitude that "although the danger rating is high, it shouldn't be a problem" is incorrect IMO. Having a false sense of security is the reason people get into trouble. If the danger rating is high, its high for a reason and should be respected, take extra caution.

Not directing this at you, just stating an observation. If people get the idea that Fernie is somehow much safer than Revy right now, they may choose to head down there with the idea that somehow the risk is less, whether they are being stupid or not. Fernie has some big areas (Harvey etc) where people can get into trouble on wide open areas.

Although very tragic, I don't think anyone needs to be reminded of how dangerous the Fernie area can be in early season.

Know the risks and assess the areas before you ride. Snow pits need to be dug for a reason, conditions change daily out there. All this new snow we've had, has not had a chance to bond between the layers it seems. Make sure you're watching for the signs.

Just my observations. Thanks to carbondaddy for the update, good to hear sledders sharing the risk with others.

carbondaddy

Reaction score
Here's a first hand account of what happened. Glad it all turned out O.K. Now we need to get the three sled out. It's been pounding down hard all night up high (rain in town) and we have a series of storms in the near forecast. There could be a meter or 2 of fresh snow on this slope again by the time we can try to get them out! UUUGGGHHH. So now we have even more wind laden slopes on an unstable layer. Be VERY careful out there.
CD

I am not a man who expresses himself well in person, so I want to thank, from the bottom of my heart the two individuals who kept there wits about them (you know who you are Jeff and Randy, and my family is indebted to you) and were able to over come all ODDS to dig me and Riley out of our snow caskets. We were in frisby at the back in deadmans creek (maybe not the best decision!). Anyway we dropped in at 300pm bc thinking this may not be the best decision, got almost to the bottom and realized there was no safe way out the bottom. person x went a bit further and lost his nuts, decided it was best to dig in and try to come out the top. I removed my pack and helmet and proceeded hike down to help turn his sled around. We turned his sled around and as he regained his breath I began to hike back up. he hit the throttle and begin his minny adventure back up. Randy made it 50 yards and the slope broke, we all thought,"wow get the cameras this is going to be funny", then the slope fractured above him!!! I had literally 2 seconds to break into stride to head for the trees when a wave of snow hit me and covered me. the same wave knocked Riley off my sled had who was trying to see where randy was headed. The wave knocked riley off my sled and into a tree where my sled pinned his legs against it, he had no idea what hit him. that same wave carried jeff and his sled 50 yard down the hill. jeff scrambled to pull his avy bag cord 3 times but did not deploy. at that point jeff mad a decision to start scrambling for a tree as he was headed for a cliff. at this point I was barried with only my hand sticking out and I was frantically trying to clear snow away from my face, then a third slide came and burried me 3 feet under and it was like being concreted into the ground, I could not even blink the snow was packed so tight around me. from what I was told jeff was only haging on by a tree from being washed over the cliff after the third slide came. Randy who was on the sled some how miraculisly was able to avoid all 3 slides after being tossed and turned on his sled and managed to ride it out ( act of god, or something, call it what you want). all the avy's settled and riley was buring 5 feet under pinned by the sled and I was compacted like a garbage truck 3 feet under. Randy said he began immediate panic mode and began yelling for anyone left uncovered, as he could not see anyone or know where any one ended up. Jeff yelled out from 150 yards below, " I am here". randy ran all the way down to jeff to check his status, then they turned on there beacons and got a signal 50 yard up and 50 yards down (which would have been over the cliff) they scrambled up and down the slope to determine where the upper signal was coming from and were able to find Riley's signal after roughly 5-10 minutes, took 5 minutes to uncover rileys face and then a few more minutes to shut his beacon off. Riley was in severe pain as his knees and legs were pinned between a tree and my sled (which has landed him in Vernon emergency for surgery as a result). After getting riley air and his beacon shut off randy and jeff began ther search for number 2, me, just so happens they were standing on me the whole time they were digging out riley, but because we were so close the most recent ortovox avy beacons could not differentiate the two. Randy noticed a black spot through the snow (my belaclava) and frantically began digging. He uncovered my face and found a blue and purple corpse (literally), he said I was not breathing nor responsive. he continued to uncover my chest and abdomin, yelling "breath XXXXX, breath XXXXX!) I apparantly blinked very slowly and gasped a tiny breath of air. I do not rember much untill about 30 miniutes after I was pulled out of the hole. They continued to work on riley as he was pinned down. after all was said and done we ended up hiking/quadrupling off the hill with the remaining sled. worst scenario ever!!!!

ps.
being barried alive is the worst thing on the planet, your lungs affixiate and the pain is unbearable, then you begin haluciating and thinking you can just take a nap and it will all be OK! when you get to that stage think of anything you can to keep you consious, kids, wife, girfriend, sled, job, whatever it takes to hang on for an extra 30 seconds, because I assure you it will count. I am sure this blurb does not do the justis to the trials and tribulations my barried partner went through, nor our other two friends (who happened to save our lives) went through.

PSS, avy is out there, ride with caution!!!
Unread

polarice

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sorry, but the attitude that "although the danger rating is high, it shouldn't be a problem" is incorrect IMO. Having a false sense of security is the reason people get into trouble. If the danger rating is high, its high for a reason and should be respected, take extra caution.

Not directing this at you, just stating an observation. If people get the idea that Fernie is somehow much safer than Revy right now, they may choose to head down there with the idea that somehow the risk is less, whether they are being stupid or not. Fernie has some big areas (Harvey etc) where people can get into trouble on wide open areas.

Although very tragic, I don't think anyone needs to be reminded of how dangerous the Fernie area can be in early season.

Know the risks and assess the areas before you ride. Snow pits need to be dug for a reason, conditions change daily out there. All this new snow we've had, has not had a chance to bond between the layers it seems. Make sure you're watching for the signs.

Just my observations. Thanks to carbondaddy for the update, good to hear sledders sharing the risk with others.

id have to agree with ferniesnow on this with all the landmines still exposed on the hills shouldnt be a worry about the guys climbing ... the snow is not as good as revy .... i dont know about you but id prefer to keep my sled in one piece and id stay in the snowed in areas

vpfuelman

Supporting Vendors
Reaction score
thanks for the post carbondaddy .... hope all are ok .or are going to be ok, in this incident , everyone has to be ready for any conditions even this early in the season .dont want to loose any more friends so stay safe , check all conditions ..................................................

Shibby!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here's a first hand account of what happened. Glad it all turned out O.K. Now we need to get the three sled out. It's been pounding down hard all night up high (rain in town) and we have a series of storms in the near forecast. There could be a meter or 2 of fresh snow on this slope again by the time we can try to get them out! UUUGGGHHH. So now we have even more wind laden slopes on an unstable layer. Be VERY careful out there.
CD

I am not a man who expresses himself well in person, so I want to thank, from the bottom of my heart the two individuals who kept there wits about them (you know who you are Jeff and Randy, and my family is indebted to you) and were able to over come all ODDS to dig me and Riley out of our snow caskets. We were in frisby at the back in deadmans creek (maybe not the best decision!). Anyway we dropped in at 300pm bc thinking this may not be the best decision, got almost to the bottom and realized there was no safe way out the bottom. person x went a bit further and lost his nuts, decided it was best to dig in and try to come out the top. I removed my pack and helmet and proceeded hike down to help turn his sled around. We turned his sled around and as he regained his breath I began to hike back up. he hit the throttle and begin his minny adventure back up. Randy made it 50 yards and the slope broke, we all thought,"wow get the cameras this is going to be funny", then the slope fractured above him!!! I had literally 2 seconds to break into stride to head for the trees when a wave of snow hit me and covered me. the same wave knocked Riley off my sled had who was trying to see where randy was headed. The wave knocked riley off my sled and into a tree where my sled pinned his legs against it, he had no idea what hit him. that same wave carried jeff and his sled 50 yard down the hill. jeff scrambled to pull his avy bag cord 3 times but did not deploy. at that point jeff mad a decision to start scrambling for a tree as he was headed for a cliff. at this point I was barried with only my hand sticking out and I was frantically trying to clear snow away from my face, then a third slide came and burried me 3 feet under and it was like being concreted into the ground, I could not even blink the snow was packed so tight around me. from what I was told jeff was only haging on by a tree from being washed over the cliff after the third slide came. Randy who was on the sled some how miraculisly was able to avoid all 3 slides after being tossed and turned on his sled and managed to ride it out ( act of god, or something, call it what you want). all the avy's settled and riley was buring 5 feet under pinned by the sled and I was compacted like a garbage truck 3 feet under. Randy said he began immediate panic mode and began yelling for anyone left uncovered, as he could not see anyone or know where any one ended up. Jeff yelled out from 150 yards below, " I am here". randy ran all the way down to jeff to check his status, then they turned on there beacons and got a signal 50 yard up and 50 yards down (which would have been over the cliff) they scrambled up and down the slope to determine where the upper signal was coming from and were able to find Riley's signal after roughly 5-10 minutes, took 5 minutes to uncover rileys face and then a few more minutes to shut his beacon off. Riley was in severe pain as his knees and legs were pinned between a tree and my sled (which has landed him in Vernon emergency for surgery as a result). After getting riley air and his beacon shut off randy and jeff began ther search for number 2, me, just so happens they were standing on me the whole time they were digging out riley, but because we were so close the most recent ortovox avy beacons could not differentiate the two. Randy noticed a black spot through the snow (my belaclava) and frantically began digging. He uncovered my face and found a blue and purple corpse (literally), he said I was not breathing nor responsive. he continued to uncover my chest and abdomin, yelling "breath XXXXX, breath XXXXX!) I apparantly blinked very slowly and gasped a tiny breath of air. I do not rember much untill about 30 miniutes after I was pulled out of the hole. They continued to work on riley as he was pinned down. after all was said and done we ended up hiking/quadrupling off the hill with the remaining sled. worst scenario ever!!!!

ps.
being barried alive is the worst thing on the planet, your lungs affixiate and the pain is unbearable, then you begin haluciating and thinking you can just take a nap and it will all be OK! when you get to that stage think of anything you can to keep you consious, kids, wife, girfriend, sled, job, whatever it takes to hang on for an extra 30 seconds, because I assure you it will count. I am sure this blurb does not do the justis to the trials and tribulations my barried partner went through, nor our other two friends (who happened to save our lives) went through.

PSS, avy is out there, ride with caution!!!
Unread

Glad to have you here and everybody got out "ok". Im sure the buddy getting surgery is glad to be alive!

I "love" reading these posts because every single one is an eye opener. You can hear about what it's like till you are blue in the face, however hearing first hand what it's like always comes as a shock. I'm imagine the same goes for using the beacons after a avy. Practice is great, but till the time it comes to using it, that's when the real test comes. Some people can stay calm, where others flounder and fail.

Great post.

waka

Reaction score
Wow, you are lucky... I really appreciate this post of survival... hope we all read this and can keep as calm as he did in this kind of situation... or even better that we dont find ourselves in this same situation... always watch out for the second and third slides...

Thumbs up to all you for this great story...

The Kickass One

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for letting our fellow sledders know of your ordeal and the early season dangers. We are all very eager to try out new sleds, products or powdered areas, but an early reminder to all is what we need. Thanks again for your detailed story and happy to know all are now safe

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
id have to agree with ferniesnow on this with all the landmines still exposed on the hills shouldnt be a worry about the guys climbing ... the snow is not as good as revy .... i dont know about you but id prefer to keep my sled in one piece and id stay in the snowed in areas

Anyone willing to bet their life on "shouldn't be a worry"? :)

Is that kind of like saying - "they shouldn't have been climbing there"?

All I'm saying is based on the post above, conditions at the surface aren't what they appear, don't take some else's word for it, be safe and ensure that you do your diligence.

Ride safe.

polarice

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone willing to bet their life on "shouldn't be a worry"? :)

Is that kind of like saying - "they shouldn't have been climbing there"?

All I'm saying is based on the post above, conditions at the surface aren't what they appear, don't take some else's word for it, be safe and ensure that you do your diligence.

Ride safe.

ya missed his point there isnt enough snow to go on the hills

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey a great story, and I just wanted to post an observation I had about the post. I am no way trying to take away from this event, and the guys who saved thier friends in a time of need. I have never been apart of anything like that and can't imagine what it felt like for them and anyone else who has even been involved in it and can't imagine what they were thinking...

the only thing that stood out for me, because I am no expert on this and please inform me if you think I am wrong, but after finding one person they shut off his beacon. I wasn't there to determine snow conditions, but what if another slide had come down? Now they don't have a beacon. Maybe it would have been better to put it into search? Something to think about for the future if anyone has to deal with such an event.

Great post though. Really happy it had a happy ending.

shawnmcgr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Quick question as I'm headed to Frisby this weekend, where is this deadman's area? I'm fairly framiliar with Frisby but not all of the individual area names. We usually ride i nthe trees o nthe south end of the ridge. Is this at the north end near the tower or closer to the GH cabin?

Thanks,

Shawn.

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Shouldnt really mater the exact spot in Frisby I would worry about ALL of Frisby and Revy in general as well as all of BC right now Huge snow this last few days let it settle or setup before you guys get to carried away

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey a great story, and I just wanted to post an observation I had about the post. I am no way trying to take away from this event, and the guys who saved thier friends in a time of need. I have never been apart of anything like that and can't imagine what it felt like for them and anyone else who has even been involved in it and can't imagine what they were thinking...

the only thing that stood out for me, because I am no expert on this and please inform me if you think I am wrong, but after finding one person they shut off his beacon. I wasn't there to determine snow conditions, but what if another slide had come down? Now they don't have a beacon. Maybe it would have been better to put it into search? Something to think about for the future if anyone has to deal with such an event.

Great post though. Really happy it had a happy ending.

If they hadn't have shut off the beacon, we would have read the story from another person's perspective as the story-writer was right beside the first buried person....if I read that story correctly....

Top Bottom