Rev Limiter

xmsummit154

Reaction score
Is there something I can do to stop from hitting the limiter since the snow is so hard. My clutch is set at 1 and my elevation is 2200ft. Is this normal on hard snow?? My tach showed 8200 when the limiter went off.

Sask Sledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Seems contrary i know, but unless you are talking about roads or glaze ice you are probably hooking up pretty hard on the firm snow (those flexedge tracks really penetrate all but glaze) and that slows down total shift out and makes your rpms raise faster than you may be used to on soft snow where the track spins more. More load=less shift out=quicker to max rpm.
What you experiencing may be your true max rpm for your current setup.(8200 sounds like what a lot of lower elevation guys seem to experience on clicker 1)
From my own experience and what ive heard from other guys, clicker 1 still generally gets you pretty high rpms at 0-3000' unless you are in fluff.

(At least, this is what my current understanding of clutching tells me, might be wrong but i dont think so.)

If you are running stock clutching on a summit you will always run into issues even on clicker one. If its not overrevving, its losing way too much rpms in the deep snow) Ive read it again and again on this forum. Give yourself more adjustability and more consistant performance by getting a Dynamo Joe clutch kit.

Or add weight (1 gram should do.) Or reduce the final force of your primary spring, but id rather see you get a proven kit complete with a helix and secondary spring cause just doing one of these things may affect performance in other types of conditions.

$275 and youll be grinning ear to ear, high and low.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

zed899

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hijack, but a friend of mine at about 1800ft ran into a similar issue only when he hit a drift and came down after wot, his secondary got wedged open by the belt getting stuck deep in the bottom and then of course you can't move. Pull the belt out of the bottom, the secondary snaps back to where its supposed to be and its good to go. Did it twice in 10 minutes. Took it to the dealer and they said theres nothing visibly wrong with the clutch. Ideas? or is this related?

edit. hes also had alot of problems with drops in rpm and bogs when opening it up.

Last edited:

Sask Sledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hijack, but a friend of mine at about 1800ft ran into a similar issue only when he hit a drift and came down after wot, his secondary got wedged open by the belt getting stuck deep in the bottom and then of course you can't move. Pull the belt out of the bottom, the secondary snaps back to where its supposed to be and its good to go. Did it twice in 10 minutes. Took it to the dealer and they said theres nothing visibly wrong with the clutch. Ideas? or is this related?

edit. hes also had alot of problems with drops in rpm and bogs when opening it up.

Which engine? What model?

Could be rollers are shot.

zed899

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Which engine? What model?

Could be rollers are shot.

Its a 2012 summit x 800 etec 154". The doo mechanic said everything looked fine in the clutches, so we are still scratching our heads.

Sask Sledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Secondary moving sheave or the rollers are getting hung up on something. I bet no one actually took the secondary out and dissasembled it to look. Or is the primary sticking closed? The only mystery with these clutches is when you don;t actually take them apart.

OP...what's your status? Did my explanation jive? Or am I out to lunch?

Sask Sledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Probably cause you're running a mountain sled in the prairies.....

That's BS. My '13 summit 146 functions fine on snow or trail at 1500' (With proper clutching, which is simple). And for all you mountain guys out there that think that only you are worthy of longtracks, I'd love for you to ride the 3-4' powder we have in areas this year. It's a lot of fun, and no place for short tracks.

Only thing on an XM that is Mountain specific is the clutching and altimeter. The rest makes it fun everywhere as long as there is snow.

OP. something is wrong in your clutch. no way it should do that. Open it up. Secondary too. (harder to do)

Top Bottom