RER Not Working

mountaincatab

Reaction score
I have a '10 Summit X with an 800 P-tek 3000 miles (I think). Last week end the engine stalled a couple of times when I engaged the RER, but worked fine later in the day. This weekend it would stall every time I engaged the RER.

I also noticed I had to have the throttle depressed slightly to start the sled even when it was warm. It didn't seem to idle correctly when it first fired up... the lights on the dash would come on then it sounded like it wanted to die. I would hit the throttle and the lights would flash again and it ran fine until I shut it off again. Any ideas what to look for?

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They don't like going into reverse if they aren't up to temp but in your case I would start by checking compression as low compression affects it as well.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You can check the compression just to rule that out if you want but most likely just needs the idle set up a bit. Common fix for your symptom.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
compression, idle. Reeds, are usually the culprit.

or relay... Have replaced a few of them.... But you must get the idle proper before diagnosing the problem, whether just idle and air/fuel adjustment or compression problem or reeds. And once idling properly you can test the relay(also the "beeper" for reverse).....

mountaincatab

Reaction score
Finally had time to do a compression test... 90psi mag side 110 pto side. Looks like I will require a new top end. I also did a bore scope mag side will require a new jug. At this point I'm unsure what to do. Do I just do the top end or rebuild entire engine?

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Check the run out on crank .
If good send cylinder out and have redone and replace pistons. IMO
If run out is to much it might be cheaper to buy a long block and exchange yours.

Top Bottom