repair winch cable

mcnamash

Reaction score
I snapped my winch cable and would like to reattached the hook. Can anybody describe how to do this? What do you use to cut the cable and how is it "tied" together once it is looped around through the hook?

fat tire

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I snapped my winch cable and would like to reattached the hook. Can anybody describe how to do this? What do you use to cut the cable and how is it "tied" together once it is looped around through the hook?
Go buy some wire clamps ( they are a metal sleeve that has two openings to fee the wire through)at princess auto or canadian tire, loop the wire around your hook eye and feed it through two or more of these wire clamps, you can use a vise to clamp onto the wire clamps and pinch it tight to the cable. there is a tool you can use for it but I either use a vise or a good set of channel locks, make sure you put the sleeves on the cable before you loop it around the eye of your hook. hope this helps ya out.

sumx54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.absoluteadventure.ca

You could use little cable clamps, two of them. I normally don't pizz around with fixing thEm though. Princess Auto, replacement cable $14 is my answer. Good luck

hurt'in albertan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i work for a company that does wire rope and depending on the cable size i would just replace it, its cheap!! :beer::beer: if you do want to put an eye back into it just get a aluminum sleeve make your eye and just smack it really good with a hammer.

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If it snapped, then it is probably stretched, at least somewhat. I would avoid the pain in the azz, and just replace it...with synthetic.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Synthetic is the way to go. I have a plow on my quad and I break the cable 4-5 times a winter so I've been there....

I have a pair of cable cutters that makes a neat cut, loop the end through the eye on the hook and put the cable 'together' with a couple of cable clamps or saddles. They are available at Princess Auto for about $5.00 for the pair. Use two of them as said above. It is a cheap fix and an easy DIY. Good luck:d:d:d

SNOWPUSHER

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well i know people are going to disagree with me but depending on the cable size to, I heard lots of good things about that rope but when i tried it I snaped that stuff left right and center and got pissed off so i went back to cable, I snaped my hook off 3 times since i had my quad 7 years now, and I just use them clamps and a cutting torch, It makes nice cut and melts the ends together so they dont get all frazzled

just my 2 cents :d

whitegold

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well i know people are going to disagree with me but depending on the cable size to, I heard lots of good things about that rope but when i tried it I snaped that stuff left right and center and got pissed off so i went back to cable, I snaped my hook off 3 times since i had my quad 7 years now, and I just use them clamps and a cutting torch, It makes nice cut and melts the ends together so they dont get all frazzled

just my 2 cents :d

That synthetic rope comes in different thicknesses, if you think you will break the lighter ones..... just sayin'....

RZR101

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
don't get stuck! poblem solved!!! that said, cable strong, rope easy to tie. I agree if you want to cut cable use a torch it will melt and hold the strands together, and yes never saddle a dead horse.

RZR101

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know a few people that would agree, more that wouldn't. Either way it's all in fun.,

Big Jon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The Amsteel Blue winch rope can be had for under $50 with reinforced loop and chafe gaurd, inc shipping from fleabay. Just make sure it's dry when it's winched up before a drop in temps as it can freeze to itself.

Top Bottom