Removing primary on '10 m8

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is pure nonsense, do you know what a primary is? Or naaa

this tread as 11 months old...why now? anyway, its not really "pure" nonsense, other than using an impact is a no-no but I also used to work with a factory skidoo mechanic and he used an impact all the time though...... the water trick is the best for primary removal IMO. I don't tap on the clutch at all though, just tip sled, fill hole with water and then crank the bolt with Teflon wrapped til clutch pops off. It comes off so easy (just did it 2 weeks ago for pre-season primary maintenance) I can hold the clutch steady with my hand and turn the bolt with a 3/8" ratchet. If you get the bolt tight and you're worried about it breaking or anything at all, just heat the main shaft of the clutch with a heat gun and it should pop right off once the metal starts to expand a little. It doesn't take much heat.

To avoid the clutch flying off the crank stub, do this procedure with the belt on and that will keep the clutch from flying around. The same procedure can be done with a Teflon wrapped clutch puller if the clutch retaining bolt and the puller are different sizes.

Top Bottom