Removing primary on '10 m8

snowslut

Reaction score
I need a little guidance on removing my primary. I have my spring out , but I'm not sure if I need to remove the weird looking nut in the middle or do I just pop the whole thing off to replace it? Can someone help. First time I've ever changed one. Thanks

Crazy8

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You will need a puller to remove primary from crankshaft. $30 or $40 from dealer

snowslut

Reaction score
Thanks. Seems easy enough. I just do t want to wreck anything before my next trip on Friday

bdietz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
what size torx is the bolt and what size are the puller threads

KatMan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
not sure if your primary is stock or not, or if it the same as the 1000. if you are just removing the whole unit, then you do not need to remove that big ass nut. the water trick will work. i just did it on mine last week. take the main bolt you undid to get at the spring(its about 4 inches long, im assuming its out already if you have the spring out) and put it back into the clutch. it threads into the clutch first then into the drive shaft. kinda weird to explain, but if you play with it you'll get what i mean. take the bolt out. flip the sled on its side. fill the center clutch hole with water. get some teflon tape and wrap lots of it tightly on the bolt. thread the bolt back into the CLUTCH ONLY. this will create pressure betweeen the clutch and the driveshaft. either use a impact wrench or socket to tighten the bolt. once you get a good seal on the teflon and the bolt is in tight, tap the clutch lightly. continue the process four to five times. the key is a good seal so water does not come back and a tight bolt. the clutch will eventually come off, fly past your head and make you chit your pants. not really, but it is abit of a surprise. this will not cause any damage as a puller might. there have been other threads on this and others have done it this way as well.

markoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
not sure if your primary is stock or not, or if it the same as the 1000. if you are just removing the whole unit, then you do not need to remove that big ass nut. the water trick will work. i just did it on mine last week. take the main bolt you undid to get at the spring(its about 4 inches long, im assuming its out already if you have the spring out) and put it back into the clutch. it threads into the clutch first then into the drive shaft. kinda weird to explain, but if you play with it you'll get what i mean. take the bolt out. flip the sled on its side. fill the center clutch hole with water. get some teflon tape and wrap lots of it tightly on the bolt. thread the bolt back into the CLUTCH ONLY. this will create pressure betweeen the clutch and the driveshaft. either use a impact wrench or socket to tighten the bolt. once you get a good seal on the teflon and the bolt is in tight, tap the clutch lightly. continue the process four to five times. the key is a good seal so water does not come back and a tight bolt. the clutch will eventually come off, fly past your head and make you chit your pants. not really, but it is abit of a surprise. this will not cause any damage as a puller might. there have been other threads on this and others have done it this way as well.

this is wrong in so many ways.

markoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
First of all he asked if he needs to take out the center bolt yes bolt has to come out. Just because he has the spring out does not mean the bolt is out. You can remove spring without removing bolt. Secondly the clutch bolt does not thread into the clutch. only into the crank. you need a puller or a bolt with the same size threads as the puller. Then the water trick works great. You dont by any chance drive a skidoo do you?

bdietz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
FYI the torx bolt is a T60 and the bolt needed for the puller is a metric 14 - 1.5 pitch thread

catlove7

Reaction score
The bolt that holds the primary clutch to the crankshaft will work using the water trick

craptabulous

Reaction score
I bought a puller from cat , greased it up and threaded it in . Cranked it down with a breaker bar and then hit the puller with a hammer about 20 times , sat down for a minute and it went pop . Good to go .

To install the new one go to 55ftlbs with a little blue loctite . Deviate from this and be prepared to cut it off next time .

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No impacts or hammers! That is hard on to crank bearings! Just wrenches and a little heat maybe.

Sent while sitting on the toilet when I should be working!

potoski

Reaction score
Ok so I've got my puller installed tightly. And no dice. She won't come off....now what?

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Used some heat. Use a heat gun or a small torch. If you use a torch move it around a lot don't hold it in one spot to long. Heat it down where the belts rests at idle it will pop off.

Rideem

Reaction score
I had to replace my primary this year and it was a nightmare. It started with a borrowed clutch puller and it was a good one not one of the cheap pos ones. Then I ran cold water on the crank and put a little oxy heat to the clutch. Started losing it at this point. Eventually had to resort to die grinders, cut off wheels and an air hammer :( there was a nice little film of surface rust between the clutch and crank. I've got a nice little pile of scrap aluminum now. Hopefully all the smashing hasn't messed the crank bearings up, I've run it up to temp a couple times over summer and had the Rpm s up and it seemed ok.

Last edited:

Iamcatman

Reaction score
I have had the clutches off of a few M`s, and i never used water with the bolt in the clutch trick, but oil, so if it freezes, it wont wreck anything. Also have used a puller, and when it is snugged up real tight, one smack with a hammer and it pops right off.

git r done

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

This is pure nonsense, do you know what a primary is? Or naaa

KatMan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is pure nonsense, do you know what a primary is? Or naaa

pantyprose5.jpg

Top Bottom