Registration and Insurance Question

dwillowguy

Reaction score
Thinking of heading to Valemount in the next couple weeks....is registration and insurance on your machine required to ride there?

:spot:

BC Sno-Ghost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
not in BC,,,,,,,,, just give er....

AB insurance and regi required

This gets posted time after time that registration is not required for sleds in BC, and it's always albertans stating this???? BC does require that sleds be registered!!!!! Now out of province sleds being used in BC, that I'm not sure of. I agree that authorities don't check as often as they should but if you do get stopped at a roadblock in BC and can't provide proof of ownership for your sled they can take it away until you provide proof of ownership. Insurance is NOT required in BC. That is at your own discretion.

dwillowguy

Reaction score
Reason I'm asking is that I have 8 sleds ranging from 1992 500 EFI (son's machine) to 2004 King Cat...to insure and reg them all would be costly.

blastoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Reason I'm asking is that I have 8 sleds ranging from 1992 500 EFI (son's machine) to 2004 King Cat...to insure and reg them all would be costly.
Sell them then if you have too many, insurance is important for the liabilty issues u hit some one u better hope u have insurance

Shibby!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nobody said sledding was cheap.

I thought, and this has to be confirmed, that last year B.C made regulation changes requiring sleds and all off-road vehicles to be registered and insured, much like alberta?

BC Sno-Ghost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I would contact authorities to get accurate info about Alberta sleds being ridden in BC. No way you need to register them all because you likely don't ride all of them in BC. I've been sledding for 30 years here in BC and have only been asked for registration once. Kinda sad that this isn't enforced more with all the sleds being stolen. As I mentioned, insurance is at your own discretion in BC. :beer:

BC Sno-Ghost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nobody said sledding was cheap.

I thought, and this has to be confirmed, that last year B.C made regulation changes requiring sleds and all off-road vehicles to be registered and insured, much like alberta?

Nope. I've owned numerous sleds on and off over the past 30 years here in BC. Sleds are supposed to be registered in BC. Quads and dirt bikes are not.....yet. That is supposedly going to change this summer. As for insurance, it is not required. That is at your own discretion. I haven't had insurance on any of my sleds until this year. But, if you have an accident and hurt someone while you're riding you will wish you had insurance.

fat tire

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ask if you can put temporary coverage on them. I can do this here in AB with my ins co.
I have a couple of quads and sleds and I can't put temp ins on them ....who insures you ?? i'm out over 800 bucks a year to ride em and my ins company would never put temp ins on me....... maby I should change companies....

OverBore

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Don't ride without insurance. Basic liability is not expensive and if you are at fault in an accident you will regret it.

Taz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Do I have to register my snowmobile?
All snowmobiles must be registered, no matter what they are used for or where they're used.
To register your snowmobile, go to any driver licensing centre (except Expressways).
When it's registered, you will be issued two reflective decals. These must be displayed on both sides of the snowmobile.
Do I need licence plates and insurance?
A snowmobile must be licensed and insured if
it will be crossing a road that the public has access to drive on, or
it is used in a parking lot.
Before you can license and insure your snowmobile, you must obtain an Operation Permit. This permit states where and when the snowmobile may cross a road. It must be kept with your snowmobile at all times.
For more information about operation permits, or to get one for your snowmobile, please contact your local law enforcement agency.
Once the snowmobile has been registered and has its permit, you can apply to license and insure it, as required by the Motor Vehicle Act. You can do this at any Autoplan broker.
For snowmobiles, a restricted licence plate is issued. The restricted plate shows that the vehicle's use on a highway is limited. (The Operation Permit explains what its use is limited to.)
For more information:
Phone Vehicle Registration Support: 604-661-6611. (We accept collect calls.)
Or, write to
ICBC Vehicle Registration Support
Room 235 151 West Esplanade
North Vancouver, BC V7M 3H9

Some of this is if you are a BC resident but the rules still apply to all of us as far as reg and insurance. I have always had mine insured and registered better to be safe than sorry.

Motor Vehicle (All Terrain) Act.

retiredpop

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thinking of heading to Valemount in the next couple weeks....is registration and insurance on your machine required to ride there?

:spot:

If you are from another province you must have valid registration from that province in order to use your sled in BC. Of course you can't get registration until you have insurance.

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

yes but it would be alot cheaper than if you hit someone or something, or they all got stolen:eek: just sayin. your desicion in the end but if they don't have all the proper documentation the end result could be way more costlt than doin it right. i know its a hard desicion but its kinda like what i tell my customers when they complain about the cost of a job. if you can't afford to repair it right how are you going to afford to repair it again?

BC Sno-Ghost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you are from another province you must have valid registration from that province in order to use your sled in BC. Of course you can't get registration until you have insurance.

I'm not sure that is accurate. I've always registered every sled I've owned in BC and never have they asked me for proof of insurance on the sleds I'm registering. However, to put insurance on a sled you must have it registered. You cannot put insurance on an un-registered sled in BC. Maybe that's what you're thinking.

bbtoys

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
and as of this year(2010) if you are riding a quad on a Forestry road they must be licenced and insured.

Mikew5j

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure that is accurate. I've always registered every sled I've owned in BC and never have they asked me for proof of insurance on the sleds I'm registering. However, to put insurance on a sled you must have it registered. You cannot put insurance on an un-registered sled in BC. Maybe that's what you're thinking.

He was referring to Alberta. Its the other way around here. To register a vehicle (on road or off road) you must provide proof of insurance.

retiredpop

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

The law in Alberta is that you must have insurance before you can register a vehicle. I did not know BC was the opposite. In any case if you are checked for registration in BC and you are from Alberta you must have an Alberta registration and license plate visible to the officer if the vehicle is in operation.

Top Bottom