Recession just around the corner?

j335

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Please elaborate on the recycling of water and fracs in Canada not causing earthquakes and not being cowboy frac happy, some of the world's largest fracs are montney shale gas Hz wells. Don't get me wrong there are pro's and con's but when it comes to drilling and completions I am happy and proud to say Canada leads the way but much more can be done. Also not so proud to say I have seen lakes drained for this process. Less then 10% return on water isn't much to recycle

The frac side has some catching up to do on water usage that's for sure as it development has moved so quick. It will eventually follow the in situ lead in Alberta, one of the best in class water recycling operations in the world IMO.
All I'm saying is if you think we're bad up here get some experience in state side operations and you'll realize how much less cowboy we are.
If fracs are draining a lake around you than your government is likely to blame as they are the ones that control water withdrawal permit approvals,at least that's how it is in Alberta.

And as far as earthquakes I believe they are cause by the disposal wells, not the actual fracs. Disposing in zones with natural fractures and lubing the two plane surfaces. My opinion of course.

Anyway back to subject, things are getting better in the patch!

Last edited:

800HMX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
65% of Alberta water is used for irrigation, 8% for the Petroleum Industry. The biggest Fracs in Canada are in shale deposits (Horn River), followed by the Duvernay. Montney is a distant cousin. Earthquakes in the US are associated with disposal wells, mostly in Oklahoma. Water use is a priority for everyone and every industry. Oil and Gas is moving toward using produced water and alternatives (CO2, N2 and gas) instead of fresh water.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's a neat plant, I was there about 5 yrs ago. I wonder if co2 flood will become more popular.

Yah know I'm surprised that no one has brought this up before. There is a carbon tax coming and govts put the spotlight on coal and oil and gas BUT no mention of the forestry industry, co2 is the major material for photosynthesis to occur so co2 is green.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BC forest industry has reduced GHG emissions by over 60% in the last ten years

800HMX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Starting to see some new bids from large Oil and Gas service Companies. Still very aggressive /low because it looks like Q1 2017 will be a bump in activity then fall off for the rest of the year. They want to capture the activity (what there is) and are biding accordingly.

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I made a prediction before but I still believe we have not hit bottom yet.
That will be next summer.........and I say we will remain in the valley of the dead a couple years.

Then we may see the return of some daylight......roughly when nothead is ousted.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Would this help?

trump alberta.gif

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It really seems to depend what you're in if it's slow or busy. This summer was insanely busy, and the fall and winter is the same. Quite confident next summer will be just as busy, if not even more so. Made the decision to purchase another track hoe, trailer and tractor and it's paid off well, tons of work around. Quite frankly I think if someone is in construction and not busy, depending what specifically they are in, in some cases it's them not the economy. There is so many people renovating, additions, garage suits, etc around even lots of new builds still. One nice part is seeing some of the guys go under who deserve it. There is a few I will be very happy to see go under and fingers crossed likely will happen.

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It really seems to depend what you're in if it's slow or busy. This summer was insanely busy, and the fall and winter is the same. Quite confident next summer will be just as busy, if not even more so. Made the decision to purchase another track hoe, trailer and tractor and it's paid off well, tons of work around. Quite frankly I think if someone is in construction and not busy, depending what specifically they are in, in some cases it's them not the economy. There is so many people renovating, additions, garage suits, etc around even lots of new builds still. One nice part is seeing some of the guys go under who deserve it. There is a few I will be very happy to see go under and fingers crossed likely will happen.

I have been saying the same thing for neao two years now. Lots of work out there just have to look for it

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have been saying the same thing for neao two years now. Lots of work out there just have to look for it

I agree and disagree with this statement. Here in Nisku area there simply no work for welders. But for the most part yesif you look around you can find it. If you were one of those coverall filler workers that was around when it was busy it's hard to find work, but if your a skilled worker that wants to work then you will find work.

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree and disagree with this statement. Here in Nisku area there simply no work for welders. But for the most part yesif you look around you can find it. If you were one of those coverall filler workers that was around when it was busy it's hard to find work, but if your a skilled worker that wants to work then you will find work.

Might not be top dollar welding work but if a guy looks with some ambition he can find work.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There is a lot of work for a 1/2 or 1/3 of what is was paid before...

Haven't really dropped prices at all, maybe 5-10% on certain things, nothing on others, have tons of work not giving anyone any deals. The way some people price things so ridiculously high is the reason it's so easier to be cheaper.

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nothing like big oil coming in and demanding 25 points off the top, not to mention only allowing 8% on 3rd party.

ducati

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nothing like big oil coming in and demanding 25 points off the top, not to mention only allowing 8% on 3rd party.

Getting pretty bad for sure. Asking for 25 points off the top when we only had 15 to begin with. We are back to 2003 rates at this point. Once oil prices turn around I think the producers are going to find out that they have done some permanent damage to the workforce.

Top Bottom