Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What about your trailer?
I carry a set for the trailer as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Well , don't got, my trailer is small and pretty light , take my chances.

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I use my chains in the summer in the mud as much as winter

06 Dragon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Between the brake lines, ABS wires etc there's lots to get ripped off by a chain that gets a little loose, and when turning the chain will often squirm a little bit to the inside of the tire making this more likely to happen. Only under dire circumstances would I put chains on the front axle of a 4x4 because the ability of the tires to pull the front end around usually makes it unnecessary. The only time I've done it was to go down a very icy hill with a trailer on behind. I took one of the rear chains off and put it on the front, doing so allowed me to steer on the slope yet still have the grip on the rear axle to stop the trailer from pushing the rear end of the truck sideways. When I got to the bottom I put the other chain back on the rear axle. 2wd truck is a different story because the front axle doesn't drive. Often you'll have to put a steer chain on a 2wd.
Exactly!!! When you turn it causes the chain to try to slide off the side of the tire, which in turn when it comes off it rip off all the abs wires, break lines etc. That being said. You can do it. Just have to be very careful when turning under power, careful not to spin, and check them tightness regularly. I would only do it again in a must have to situation.

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My old jeep on the farm I had 36" swampers on it, I aired them down to 8lbs...put the chains on the aired them back up till the chains were screaming tight......she would climb trees! It was a blast in the snow!

DirtLUmp

Reaction score
I ran these on the front end of an 09 f350 for about 4 months straight one winter. No bungees just kept them tight. Never had any issues.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I ran these on the front end of an 09 f350 for about 4 months straight one winter. No bungees just kept them tight. Never had any issues.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It can be done if done correctly, and works better if you use the quality chains with the cam tensioners like in the picture. Good choice!!

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I really like that funny noise a chain makes when it breaks and rubs against the fender. Turn the music up and drive to the beat of the chain. Brings back some old memories.

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Was just down at fleet brake and They have in stock the auto sock if that interests anybody, they swear buy them on big trucks but they would be sweet on a pick up. So easy too put on and light as ever.

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Was just down at fleet brake and They have in stock the auto sock if that interests anybody, they swear buy them on big trucks but they would be sweet on a pick up. So easy too put on and light as ever.

those are designed for the "new canadians" when experiencing their first hill in the snow

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Haha yup, I will stick with chains , those would wear out pretty quick, good idea though

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Haha yup, I will stick with chains , those would wear out pretty quick, good idea though

for the faint of heart on level icy roads. Had a chance to look at them at the local Peterbilt dealership, I can tell you I wont be throwing my triples away. No way in hell they would stand up to 100 yards of real work. Also factor in they are only singles and you get a fair idea of what they are really designed for.

But as you said, on a passenger vehicle or light pickup they would have their place.

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

HA HA. Tire condoms!!!

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I really like that funny noise a chain makes when it breaks and rubs against the fender. Turn the music up and drive to the beat of the chain. Brings back some old memories.
got to hear that sound today climbing km 100 hill on the Chinchaga road. right on the worst grade too...inside boomer let go. had to let 'er slap for a bit, no way I would have lifted her again if I had stopped.

man is it ever dead out there. camps are gone from km 80, battle river camp at 122 mothballed. in 30 plus years of trucking out there I've never seen it like that. only activity is forestry, and the guys mulching power line right of ways that I was hauling for.

Top Bottom