radium riding

rkrahn80

Reaction score
How is the riding in the radium area now? where are the best places to ride? Going out on Dec. 4 and we are looking for another place to ride and Radium is the closest. Like playing on some good hills .

kdog

Reaction score
Forester would be your best bet...Head west at the esso in radium and I read on the forester thread that people were parking at 46km??? Someone else may be able to verify that. There are other areas around Radium, but I have not yet been.

Summit X

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
no, 46km would put you at the cabin at least, but probably past...

i saw the post about the guy who parked at km 38... PLEASE don't go that far. can't say i was there and so i can't blame it on anybody, but all 'somebody' did was rut up the road, kind of a pi$$ off actually. try riding 100km/hr+ up a road and then dropping one ski 6" down in a rut, lots of fun, trust me. we parked at 20.5 (beside the groomer) and had lots of snow to ride to the cabin. there is another parking lot somewhere around 19 which is the one that will be used all winter.

and not pointing fingers, but when people use the cabin, can they please carry out there own sh!t?? we got there on monday nov. 16th and found spritzer and beer cans all over the place. the cabin was disgusting. some of the cans outside weren't even frozen yet, so they had to be recent... we carried up more firewood and cleaned up others mess.

on a good note, we found tonnes of snow.

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree! 46km is the gas drop area.

There was a f-250 parked at 30km this weekend. Did some damage to the trail.
If you have a deck you can drive to the 22ish km bridge.

Otherwise stop at the groomer parking area at 20. It won't be long until there is enough snow on the road to park at the main staging area on Forester FSR.

The road in is pretty icy, there was a dodge with an enclosed that looked like it tried to make the last hill from the water shed fence to the parking area but did not make it.

The Horsethief FSR is icy also Don't try it in a 2wheel drive, There was a couple of trucks that could not make it to the Forester turn off.

Conditions were awesome in the meadows.

The cabin is full of other peoples garbage! we hauled out some.

LID

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That road gets deceptively icy and doesn't thaw out until the spring. Take your time on the way in and out, especially going downhill and with a trailer. Keep in mind as well that there can be people heading up and down the road at early/late times, opposite of normal driving in or out, if they are heading in to Dave White hut. If you park at 20.5k or 23k, the snow gets better quickly as you gain elevation.

A lot of those ruts are actually in the frozen mud of the road surface. We were in Nov 9th and there were about 4 spots between 23k and 35k that will be dangerous until there is about 1.5 feet of snow.

Last December we met a guy who had backed his huge 4+ spot enclosed all the way down the first big hill, after the mill, and across the bridge before he could turn around after not making the first hill. Serious backing-up skills as the big hill was nothing but ice.

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That road gets deceptively icy and doesn't thaw out until the spring. Take your time on the way in and out, especially going downhill and with a trailer. Keep in mind as well that there can be people heading up and down the road at early/late times, opposite of normal driving in or out, if they are heading in to Dave White hut. If you park at 20.5k or 23k, the snow gets better quickly as you gain elevation.

A lot of those ruts are actually in the frozen mud of the road surface. We were in Nov 9th and there were about 4 spots between 23k and 35k that will be dangerous until there is about 1.5 feet of snow.

Last December we met a guy who had backed his huge 4+ spot enclosed all the way down the first big hill, after the mill, and across the bridge before he could turn around after not making the first hill. Serious backing-up skills as the big hill was nothing but ice.

Chains are a requirement when you pull a trailer like that around here.

The Kickass One

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Without good driving skills I would agree. Locals can do without the chains with good Winter tires or studs, but I bet there are chains somewhere in the truck just in case of trouble.

Looks like the latest ruts were from skiers at Dave White as they were pulling out on Sunday of last weekend. When I drove to the 38 a few weeks back there was only 6 inches to a foot of snow. I was there after and would go with only driving to the first bridge as well.

I'd like to thank the locals that helped me load up my melted cat as well. I am from Cranbrook, so only a partial local Ha! Ha!:rolling::shots:

vic

Reaction score

We were up on the nov 29 the road was very icey ,will be looking into some chains for next time,logging trucks still coming down the road ,use extreme caution around the corners.

Barster

Reaction score
We were up on the nov 29 the road was very icey ,will be looking into some chains for next time,logging trucks still coming down the road ,use extreme caution around the corners.

How was the snow? Thinking of going this weekend but with three place trailer i only want to park at parking lot.

vic

Reaction score
How was the snow? Thinking of going this weekend but with three place trailer i only want to park at parking lot.

Snow at the upper parking lot ,made up there with 3 place open trailer 4x4 ,i saw one guy changing his rear tire maybe wrecked from spinning pulling a 4 place enclosed up to the parking lot road is like a skating rink going up.Need some good ice tires ,better yet have a good set of tire chains better than sliding off the road. I'am looking into having them on for my next trip up. Snow conditions good for this time of year ,could use a few more dumps.Was told left side up the water fall near top was small slides.Was good for first weekend sledding

poorboy

Reaction score
can you snowmobile in from the meadows yet came down backwards from last hill into top parking lot not fun

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
can you snowmobile in from the meadows yet came down backwards from last hill into top parking lot not fun

By meadows I am assuming you mean the Dog leg lake staging area on West side road. If so, no there is no snow that low.

Friggin cold today! -20 on the mountain.

Top Bottom