Radio Recommendations

-lenny-

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
High Rollers in my group have Garmin 655Ts. The cheapskates (myself included) run Puxing 444 off ebay. Works as good as the Garmin, but no GPS.

maxbed

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
garmin 650 rino's. they work eally slick

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hand signals, watch for finger.

garmin rhino otherwise, any model will work, some have better range and functions, but will all work with one another.

sorsy

Reaction score
I got a Garmin rino 610 it s little more bulky compared to the 655 but works great the only thing I don't like is that it does not have a rechargeable battery...just takes 4 "AA" batteries...but I wasn't going to spend another 250 bucks for the recharge battery and a couple more bells and whistles that I would not use anyways.

geordiep

Reaction score
Garmin Rino 610 - It use 4 AA's - buy the Eveready/Duracell recharger kit for $20. I charge in the hotel after each day.

The best thing about the Rino's is you can track where your buddies are on your screen and you can set the GPS to point you in their direction. I will never ride without it.

Range is great - we were at Boulder Mountain and could talk to another group at Frisby.

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
rhino for me too, really cool to download satelite imagery onto it.

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

kfrey

Reaction score
Rhinos. But they have glitches too. They freeze: disconnect battery and restart. Remind your buddies to turn on the sharing features, including polling, so you can find them. Don't turn on scramble bc they'll be useless as a radio. Basically play with them until they make sense and learn some of the features.

fnDan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Rhinos. But they have glitches too. They freeze: disconnect battery and restart. Remind your buddies to turn on the sharing features, including polling, so you can find them. Don't turn on scramble bc they'll be useless as a radio. Basically play with them until they make sense and learn some of the features.

The scramble works if both radios are on the same channel and both have scramble on.

lloydguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am very interested in this topic as well.I want to get a set of radios for communication between sled's
when trail riding this winter,but with 1000 brands and 1000 different model's I'm lost as to what to get.
The Garmins look sweet but I'm not interested in spending a grand on two radio's.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just use regular GMRS radios and a throat mic. Works great and can talk as far as I need to. If you're gonna go with a throat mic then stick with Motorola radios. It's easier to get mics for them.

JSR

Reaction score
I have an older Rino120, but am thinking of upgrading to a newer Rino. I would definitely buy it from the U.S, though, as you'll get the 5W one, instead of the "CRTC" controlled 3W one! The more power, the better!

Sent from my iPad using

maierch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I prefer no radio at all. That way after riding around alone, lost and scared. I get a great feeling of satisfaction when I finally find my group. There is really nothing like it.

Amen to that.. it also makes your riding group respect you way more as all of them quickly reconvene using their radios then proceed to wait for you for 30 - 45 mins. It keeps them from getting too exhausted on the hill!

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2

Top Bottom