Radio Recommendations

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Is this 5watts or more? What kind of distance in the bush.

There is a good review in the link and a guide to programming. Distance has been good (not quite sure of exact distance but when we used them it was good enough to keep us together). The quotes below were taken from the review.

Submenu 2, power, set to High (appx 5 watts) or Low (appx 1 watt) as you wish. I have mine set to High, and can toggle it down or back up at any time, without going into the menu, with the # button, lower right on the keypad. There is an L (for Low) present on the screen when set to Low.

I have local Police, Sheriff and Fire frequencies tuned in. I pick up deputies on the opposite side of the county and local police five miles across town as if they are across the table from me.

Last edited:

Throttle-Junkie

Reaction score
It has been said that a some transmitting radios will cause interference in the search function of some avalanche beacons! Make sure you test your gear!

I am sure someone with more experience and knowledge with radios can chime in here..

All electronics can interfere with beacons always best to keep the electronics out of the backcountry or at least off until needed. (iPods, phones, cordless remotes for helmet cams etc)

Feel free to correct me if I am wrong please!

Sent from my iPhone using

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
You are absolutely correct. Phones etc., there is lots of evidence and videos about the interference.

Radios, I don't know but would imagine there could be some problems. Maybe someone with real-life experience could chime in.

clay923

Reaction score
I have 4 motorlla cp 185, there great with mic and speaker, battery lasts two days of riding, i give them to newbies in group or experienced and we can cover way more ground than without, i have my own channel an open channel and a couple channels for logging roads in sicamous and valmount, so i can get out just about anywhere i ride.

lloydguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You guy's with the GMRS radio's,do you have speakers and boom mic's in your helmet's or do
you stop and pull the radio out of your pocket to talk?
I want to set up afew of my helmets with mic's and speakers so when trail riding we can BS.
I don't have a clue as to what to buy and where to start looking.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You guy's with the GMRS radio's,do you have speakers and boom mic's in your helmet's or do
you stop and pull the radio out of your pocket to talk?
I want to set up afew of my helmets with mic's and speakers so when trail riding we can BS.
I don't have a clue as to what to buy and where to start looking.

Best method I've found.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Most people out there use a form of FRS/GMRS, Garmin being a popular option.
The biggest problem to these radios is general performance as they are a consumer recreational radio with limited usage.

In group application they work very well, especialy if the group stays together but if any real distances accure and obstructions get in the way you quickly find their limitations.
I have used the FRS/GMRS radios in the past but when i registered as a backcountry guide nearly 10yrs ago, it is mandatory to use VHF radio's to be licence, or atleast have a VHF on hand.
Today i no longer use FRS/GMRS style radio's but strictly VHF with my riding partner and her and i NEVER have communication problems experienced with FRS/GMRS.

mctrailboss

Reaction score
we use the vhf radios from ruggedracing.com a little pricey but if your serious about communication this is the way to go. 5 watt radio, waterproof. helmet kit with speakers and boom mic.

lloydguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
we use the vhf radios from ruggedracing.com a little pricey but if your serious about communication this is the way to go. 5 watt radio, waterproof. helmet kit with speakers and boom mic.

Rugged radios.com? rugged racing comes up with nothing on a google search

Shitfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Grabbed a couple of the Baofeng UV-5RA radios. Any pointers on setting up freq/ch settings? What other settings have anyone found to be helpful for out in the backcountry? Ordered a download cable with them but thats it, any starting point tips? Looks like a pretty serious little radio if you can figure it out, haha.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Grabbed a couple of the Baofeng UV-5RA radios. Any pointers on setting up freq/ch settings? What other settings have anyone found to be helpful for out in the backcountry? Ordered a download cable with them but thats it, any starting point tips? Looks like a pretty serious little radio if you can figure it out, haha.

YouTube has some videos for the Baofeng's. I am an Apple dude and the programming CD won't even fit in my Mac! Technology comes hard to me and I haven't even tried to get into them. I have a Kenwood in my truck so the hand-helds aren't necessary for that part and I haven't needed the hassle of figuring out the true multitude of all the features.

I haven't done anything other than set them up for the same channels so that we can communicate to each other. Yesterday, 6 km in a heavily forested valley bottom, they came in loud and clear. If one is more than 6 kms away, IMHO that is way too far for a group of snowmobilers. Over a major pass, 6 km apart and there was no signal. We each would have been about 1000' below the crest of the pass. Once I was on the summit of the pass, communication was loud and clear again.

Rust

Reaction score
For those wondering about radios interfering with transceivers, Just went back through my notes on my phone and had wrote down this very thing at a free Avy evening course put on by search and rescue last winter

Keep all electronics (ie phones, go pros, digital cameras even,) a min of 40 cm away if turned on and a min of 150 cm for VHF radios.

This is just what I wrote down, so if anyone has different info on this please share.

Stay Safe

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
For those wondering about radios interfering with transceivers, Just went back through my notes on my phone and had wrote down this very thing at a free Avy evening course put on by search and rescue last winter

Keep all electronics (ie phones, go pros, digital cameras even,) a min of 40 cm away if turned on and a min of 150 cm for VHF radios.

This is just what I wrote down, so if anyone has different info on this please share.

Stay Safe

That is good to know. Is there a link somewhere for a read on that information?

Top Bottom