Racing / Sport Quads pros cons

raustincat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I might be in the market for a racing quad... not to sure what to buy. It doesn't have to be brand new so if anybody has some decent deals let me know. But the reason for this post was to get your thoughts on the better quad.... Raptor 7? yfz 450 kfx 450.... banshee, yadda yadda? no brand bashing here... just experience with them and tips would be great? which ones are faster than others on flats? which ones perform better in the sand with paddle tires... which ones are easier to run as in consistency? that sort of thing.

thanks,
Ryan

gforce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i had a z400 suzuki last year and it hauled my slender 250 lbs up any hill..i will never own a quad that you have to kick or pull to start ever again..and you gotta have reverse:beer:

hit.it

Reaction score
I had a yfz 450 loved the quad ,but man sport quads suck on alberta trails when guys with big 4x4s rut the crap outta them. Always getting stuck and and overheating when riding muddy trails and muskeg. Rad sits really low. But when used on hard pack an awsome time. Long story short i now have a sportsman 800 and way more happy with it. More 4x4 friendly places to ride than tracks and long sand hills to climb. JMO

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Give some thought to the renegades ,they hang with the sport quads and 4x4 with the best of the rest. Twice the fun....

drfat4

Reaction score
I had a yfz 450 loved the quad ,but man sport quads suck on alberta trails when guys with big 4x4s rut the crap outta them. Always getting stuck and and overheating when riding muddy trails and muskeg. Rad sits really low. But when used on hard pack an awsome time. Long story short i now have a sportsman 800 and way more happy with it. More 4x4 friendly places to ride than tracks and long sand hills to climb. JMO

Completely agree with rzrgade, those Renegade's are pretty awesome! Can do wheelies, small jumps, drive pretty much anywhere, can work it. :specool:

lbartels

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Stock reliability, go for a honda. Just as much regular maintence as your truck and it will last a long time. But for a sporty 4x4 I'd have to agree with the other guys here, a renagade should be awesome.

byronkentgraham

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you are willing to go big buy a used KFX 700 they are one of the most fun machines you will ever ride. They are fast and crazy powerful.

If not check out the YFZ 450 they are lots of fun to.

Gotta agree sport quads cant handle our Alberta trails. Those AZZholes with their big 4x4 quads just ruin our trails:d

quadboy55

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've owned a Z400, LT-R and YFZ. For all around, get the YFZ if your more of a sand/track guy. I ride a Sportsman 850 now, It's Alberta, more places to go than the YFZ could.

mareshow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i had a ltr 450 and it was pretty awesome, although with all the mud and ruts you get stuck a lot, i'd try a renegade they are pretty awesome i just sold mine though because i'm addicted to mud haha and can ams go where the sports go as well

Iron Horse Racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you’re into racing ....Motocross, you have to have a 450...

YFZ's and Honda's have great strong motors, but if shopping used keep a good eye out for cracks in the frames. The LTR's 2008 and older were bullet proof, but in 2009 they started having trouble with third gear in anything raced hard....foe us ...Suzuki, Yamaha, Honda.......

If you’re looking at cross country/trails/dunes the Raptor 700, the KTM 525 XC or the golden oldie, King of the Hill the 2-Strock Banshie......

Either way look us up at the Alberta Triple Crown, come out and ride, watch and theres usually always someone selling stuff......

https://www.snowandmud.com/forum/f26/what-do-sport-quads-4x4-utvs-20053.html

rusty

GBCA Member
Reaction score
i have a ltz 400, that might have 5 rides on it, p.m me and we can work out a price

quadboy55

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you’re into racing ....Motocross, you have to have a 450...

YFZ's and Honda's have great strong motors, but if shopping used keep a good eye out for cracks in the frames. The LTR's 2008 and older were bullet proof, but in 2009 they started having trouble with third gear in anything raced hard....foe us ...Suzuki, Yamaha, Honda.......

If you’re looking at cross country/trails/dunes the Raptor 700, the KTM 525 XC or the golden oldie, King of the Hill the 2-Strock Banshie......

Either way look us up at the Alberta Triple Crown, come out and ride, watch and theres usually always someone selling stuff......

https://www.snowandmud.com/forum/f26/what-do-sport-quads-4x4-utvs-20053.html

Nope! It was 2008 when Suzuki released the 100 updates to the LTR that they had tranny problems. My 2008 blew third gear. So 08 and up have tranny issues with 3rd, 06 and 07 have issues with shift forks and linkages. 06 has an imcomplete weld on the swing arm that was recalled as well.

Sent from my white iPhone 4

Radagast

Reaction score
Raptor 700 = electric start, reverse, fuel injected

That made the decision for me.

Top Bottom