Buying a used sport quad!

KFX Drm Ripper

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hard to find a used KTM in his price range though..

The DS450 is a great machine too, all the 450's are great, each have their own advantage. to buy new my list would be

yamaha
ktm
can am
suzuki
honda
kawasaki

what Kawasaki last.... What?!!! lol Kawasaki is kicking a$$ on and off the tracks!! Honda and Can am before Kawasaki???? LOL it has reverse which i think is the best thing to have on everything, no buddy whats to puss the thing back if they don't have to!! i know its just your lest every one is different.... just playing lol but Honda before Kawasaki that hurts:(:(:(... lol

Attachments

• IMG_0728.jpg
    IMG_0728.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_0730.jpg
    IMG_0730.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_0732.jpg
    IMG_0732.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_0736.jpg
    IMG_0736.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_0895.jpg
    IMG_0895.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 119

MATTIAC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i love those beadlocks man and your quad looks so sick, is fuel injection compared to carburated really a big issue?

When your dealing with big elevation changes it is. In a typical
Ride I'll start at 1400 feet and ride up to 6000+ feet. So fuel injection would keep the throttle crisp and fuel/air in the right area. When your ripen hard and you get in the throttle to jump or whatever the case is and it bogs it's scary and could get you really hurt

I do admit that is a sectz kfx. I like kawi. It was only on the bottom because its the least of my favorites.

KFX Drm Ripper

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
LoL I know just had to joke about it lol Honda would be on the bottom for me lol!!!!! Every one is different

Gettin' Muddy

Reaction score
Yea i do find myself using reverse alot however the sport quads are so light but maybe i should look deeper in a kawi because i know the newer one are fi but im not sure about older ones like 08 and down (the quads in my price range) and i love the green and black lol

psullivan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you want a sporty quad to ride in mud and trails buy a Can Am Renegade or a Scrambler. If you are riding in any mud much with your sport quad you will get frustrated fast. You will always be soaked head to toe while everyone else his fairly dry.

If you still want a sport quad buy IRS. For your application it is the best set up way more clearance so you don't get hung up. There are 2 IRS sport quads. Polaris Outlaw and the Honda 700XX. But the XX is like 100lbs more the the outlaw. what ever you buy, enjoy it, I don't believe there is a best quad. Everyone is different and rides different. What works for one person doesn't mean it will work for another.

Gettin' Muddy

Reaction score
If you want a sporty quad to ride in mud and trails buy a Can Am Renegade or a Scrambler. If you are riding in any mud much with your sport quad you will get frustrated fast. You will always be soaked head to toe while everyone else his fairly dry.

If you still want a sport quad buy IRS. For your application it is the best set up way more clearance so you don't get hung up. There are 2 IRS sport quads. Polaris Outlaw and the Honda 700XX. But the XX is like 100lbs more the the outlaw. what ever you buy, enjoy it, I don't believe there is a best quad. Everyone is different and rides different. What works for one person doesn't mean it will work for another.

i ride a 4x4 sport quad right now and its just to boring and not only are renegades way out of my price range i still would not get one even though they are sweet rides it's just not for me, theres not enough excitement in just cruising through mud i like the challenge that 2wd sport quads bring

psullivan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
than buy one of thease.

Attachments

• top right.jpg
    top right.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 94
  • right rear.jpg
    right rear.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 92
  • left back.jpg
    left back.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 94
  • Left front.jpg
    Left front.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 93

Gettin' Muddy

Reaction score
you know i love the bike but theres something inside me just really wanting a 450 but i will still consider it as im searching for deals, does anyone know if kfx's in past years have reverse aswell

mxzguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I picked up a 07 Raptor for $4500.00 added skids front bumper and a twist throttle for a total of about $5000.00. For trail riding I would go with a quad with reverse such as a Raptor or a Kawasaki 450 you should be able to get these quad for around $5000.00 an 06 or 07. As far as getting through mud on a sport quad momentum is everything. Here is a photo of my Raptor. Good luck on your search.

Attachments

• IMGP0685.jpg
    IMGP0685.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 100

psullivan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I picked up a 07 Raptor for $4500.00 added skids front bumper and a twist throttle for a total of about $5000.00. For trail riding I would go with a quad with reverse such as a Raptor or a Kawasaki 450 you should be able to get these quad for around $5000.00 an 06 or 07. As far as getting through mud on a sport quad momentum is everything. Here is a photo of my Raptor. Good luck on your search.

I would hope it had lots of mods for 5000. I can buy a 07 raptor with stroker crank, hardly been rode lots of other cosmetic mods for 3500. And mor quads than the raptor and kfx have reverse. JMO

Med1ogre

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
my 2cent, A friend has a DS 450, and off the floor its pretty dam complete, nerfs, wide stance, decent shock setup and cut the pink wire you unlock a race map. but he hates it. Maybe just not used to it?!
He also owns a outlaw, loves that machine. he'll pick that everytime. I thought it might have some bad tendencies when doing a wheelie because of the IRS but that definitely wasn't the case. they also look bad ass;)

I myself think reverse is overrated on a sport quad. i just compensate if i have to turn around, pick a line, drive into a slope coast backwards. Reverse never helped me get unstuck. usually if your stuck on a sport quad, your hung up on your swinger. Which means your gonna have to pick the ass up and move it.

My decision when buying a Quad was swayed over the reverse issue so I bought a dvx400. I ended up dumping money into to make perform like a 450, and it will never be a 450. Then i bought a ltr450 and im glad i did, right out of the box it blow the 400's out of the water in every aspect, except i lose every reverse race.

Gettin' Muddy

Reaction score
my 2cent, A friend has a DS 450, and off the floor its pretty dam complete, nerfs, wide stance, decent shock setup and cut the pink wire you unlock a race map. but he hates it. Maybe just not used to it?!
He also owns a outlaw, loves that machine. he'll pick that everytime. I thought it might have some bad tendencies when doing a wheelie because of the IRS but that definitely wasn't the case. they also look bad ass;)

I myself think reverse is overrated on a sport quad. i just compensate if i have to turn around, pick a line, drive into a slope coast backwards. Reverse never helped me get unstuck. usually if your stuck on a sport quad, your hung up on your swinger. Which means your gonna have to pick the ass up and move it.

My decision when buying a Quad was swayed over the reverse issue so I bought a dvx400. I ended up dumping money into to make perform like a 450, and it will never be a 450. Then i bought a ltr450 and im glad i did, right out of the box it blow the 400's out of the water in every aspect, except i lose every reverse race.

that was alot of help man thanks, ive heard the outlaw 450 straight axle has reverse if thats the case does it still perform very well with the ktm engine? I feel like the raptor's are starting to sway me towards them but i have my heart set on a 450 but i wouldnt know to get a machine with reverse or not because I've never had experiences without reverse and a sport quad

KFX Drm Ripper

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
go with the Raptor!!! it less mantis then a 450! same power, has revers. 450 are made for the track if your just trail riding having fun the raptor is the best thing!! there are more raptor out there then 450!!! i have the KFX 450 and a raptor, and let me tell you that raptor won't die 4 years and all i had to do was change the oil, Spark Plugs and clean the K&N!!! and with a couple mods more power then the 450 mods i got everything done to my KFX 450 and motor to motor with my mechanic 700 Raptor he best me every time.... :rant:

Gettin' Muddy

Reaction score
buddy's who i ride with all the time have raptors ( a 700 and a 660) and i know theyre great machines the only reason i dont want one is because i want to have a unique bike apart from my friends and that would be for me either a 450 or an outlaw 525. and i do see alot of raptors out there for cheap prices so that could be what hooks me to one.

lbartels

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I never considered the outlaw with the IRS but that would certainly get you through a fair bit more mud in the race quad world. As someone else mentioned, momentum is key if you're getting over thick mud, skid plates are great. If your mud is mostly water, get the front end up. Reverse would be an awesome feature.

Honestly, the guy you buy it from should tell you more about what the quads went through then his words will.

Gettin' Muddy

Reaction score
yea i dont really wanna get irs i feel like a straight axle is more fun and original on a sport quad and to be honest looking back on my rides i feel like i could get by without reverse it shouldnt be too much of an inconvience, but i think for the riding i do i would need fuel injection but im not too sure

psullivan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I never considered the outlaw with the IRS but that would certainly get you through a fair bit more mud in the race quad world. As someone else mentioned, momentum is key if you're getting over thick mud, skid plates are great. If your mud is mostly water, get the front end up. Reverse would be an awesome feature.

Honestly, the guy you buy it from should tell you more about what the quads went through then his words will.

When you get your quad come ride with me. I'll show you what clearance does. If you are not 100% on the track IRS is way better. But don't trust me. I don't care. If you think you can use momentum to get threw everything your dead wrong. Go to brule try and climb some shoots that are real rutted out and you will get hung up 100 times b4 u make them. Or down a rutted trail in the trees where you can't go Mach chicken. I have owned both. If I wanted a track bike I'd buy a 450 straight axel. Jmo. Come for a ride with me and you'll see I can go alot farther with alot less effort.

psullivan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
go with the Raptor!!! it less mantis then a 450! same power, has revers. 450 are made for the track if your just trail riding having fun the raptor is the best thing!! there are more raptor out there then 450!!! i have the KFX 450 and a raptor, and let me tell you that raptor won't die 4 years and all i had to do was change the oil, Spark Plugs and clean the K&N!!! and with a couple mods more power then the 450 mods i got everything done to my KFX 450 and motor to motor with my mechanic 700 Raptor he best me every time.... :rant:

A little off topic but, bring the rappy to brule too that way when you blow up again you can still ride:p. lol.:d

KFX Drm Ripper

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A little off topic but, bring the rappy to brule too that way when you blow up again you can still ride:p. lol.:d

Hahahahaha I was reading everything getting in to it, and when I read what you had there lol hahahahaha I couldn't stop laughing (a little off topic) ya think lol NOS is like crack she got to have it!!! LOL she will be good this trip you won't beat me lol

Top Bottom