Buying a used sport quad!

Gettin' Muddy

Reaction score
Hey whats goin on? I'm new to the site and I'm really excited to get a new toy for myself. I ride only trails and those trails do have mud, lots of it. However I still want a 2 wheel drive sport quad. Im interested in any of the 450's, raptors, and if the price is right i would even buy a banshee (even though theyre probably not to great in mud) I would love feedback on any sport quad. The top of my list so far includes raptor 660, raptor 700, can am ds 450, outlaw 525, and i know the ktm 450 or 525 xc is out of my price range but I'd love to get a good deal on one. My price range is anywhere up to $5000 I cant spend to much I'm on a tight budget. Thanks for the replies everybody :)

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lot of guys will give me a hard time on this, but for the type of riding you plan on doing, the Polaris Outlaw IRS is a great machine. It has independent rear suspension, which soaks up the bumps very nicely, plus it gives you 10" of ground clearance versus 3" or 4" with a straight axle. It also has reverse, which most of the 450's don't. When you get hung up on a root or stump, rewind is a nifty feature. Try and find a 525 Outlaw, the motors are built by KTM, they make great power.

psullivan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lot of guys will give me a hard time on this, but for the type of riding you plan on doing, the Polaris Outlaw IRS is a great machine. It has independent rear suspension, which soaks up the bumps very nicely, plus it gives you 10" of ground clearance versus 3" or 4" with a straight axle. It also has reverse, which most of the 450's don't. When you get hung up on a root or stump, rewind is a nifty feature. Try and find a 525 Outlaw, the motors are built by KTM, they make great power.

Great quad you can check mine out but it isnt for sale.

Gettin' Muddy

Reaction score
Yea I have a guy I ride with sometimes who has one and he seems to love it but im skeptical about IRS on a sport quad like can you still corner hard and fishtail and rip wheelies bootin down the trails?

psullivan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yea I have a guy I ride with sometimes who has one and he seems to love it but im skeptical about IRS on a sport quad like can you still corner hard and fishtail and rip wheelies bootin down the trails?

I love the way my quad handels.

Attachments

• Rear l.jpg
    Rear l.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 172
  • Left front.jpg
    Left front.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 169

Gettin' Muddy

Reaction score
Thats a really nice looking quad man, this help has been good so far lol anyone have any trail riding time on the 450's? I'd like to know

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thats a really nice looking quad man, this help has been good so far lol anyone have any trail riding time on the 450's? I'd like to know

I have a couple buddies that ride 450's, they seem to like them. I don't have a lot of seat time on any of them myself, although I've owned a few of them. My only problem with them is that they don't have reverse. If you're looking for a smoking deal, I have a stock 2007 YFZ450 for sale...$3200.

seano11

Reaction score
the first bike I bought on my own was a 2008 raptor special edition the whole sport quad deal wore off after about a month they are not very much fun in the mud was kicking my self pretty hard for not buying a 4x4 they places you can go with a sport quad are very limited

MATTIAC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the first bike I bought on my own was a 2008 raptor special edition the whole sport quad deal wore off after about a month they are not very much fun in the mud was kicking my self pretty hard for not buying a 4x4 they places you can go with a sport quad are very limited

speed is the key for mud on sport quads. I do agree the clearance is an issue on a swing arm rear end quad, but 9 times out of 10 I can pull my front end up and rip through most spots. you get pretty dirty, but it works. banshees with realter rear tires tear through mud and skeg pretty good leaving huge roost. I love my 450, and the no reverse thing, well they are pretty light, and if your stuck or hung up, only two tires working doesnt do you any good unless your on good ground.

Gettin' Muddy

Reaction score
Yea i ride a 4x4 now and i just get more fun out of manual shift and wheelies and the huge roosts going through some thick skeg and that is a pretty wicked deal on that yfz i'll get back to you on that as this weekend was rather expensive :p thanks again everyone

MATTIAC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yea i ride a 4x4 now and i just get more fun out of manual shift and wheelies and the huge roosts going through some thick skeg and that is a pretty wicked deal on that yfz i'll get back to you on that as this weekend was rather expensive :p thanks again everyone

most YFZ took a price drop when they released the EFI in the YFZ450R, so look around, might be some good deals

Gettin' Muddy

Reaction score
anybody know if the can am ds 450 is good? I see theyre doing rather well in gncc

ABKTM

Reaction score
my ktm xc450 has reverse. Some come with it. I must admit it is handy to have!

MATTIAC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
my ktm xc450 has reverse. Some come with it. I must admit it is handy to have!

hard to find a used KTM in his price range though..

The DS450 is a great machine too, all the 450's are great, each have their own advantage. to buy new my list would be

yamaha
ktm
can am
suzuki
honda
kawasaki

Gettin' Muddy

Reaction score
actually mattiac those first 3 machines you listed are my on the top of my search list aswell however ktm is 1st but its really tough to find them in my price range and of course the lower the better so my best bet is a yfz 450 but the ds has efi which comes on the newer yfz's but the can am i can somewhat afford easier

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
My banshee is a 92(never offered in Canada that yr) I have owned it since 95, she still scares the chit outta me.
I've read that you are looking for 4-strokes. But I will be putting her up for sale this summer.

Mostly.... like others have said. What type of riding do you really want to do??? :D

Attachments

• DSCN0614.jpg
    DSCN0614.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:

MATTIAC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
actually mattiac those first 3 machines you listed are my on the top of my search list aswell however ktm is 1st but its really tough to find them in my price range and of course the lower the better so my best bet is a yfz 450 but the ds has efi which comes on the newer yfz's but the can am i can somewhat afford easier

Ya, ive always been partial to the YFZ... mine is pretty nuts, but yes I sure do wish it was a fuelie
rhino006.jpg

Gettin' Muddy

Reaction score
My banshee is a 92(never offered in Canada that yr) I have owned it since 95, she still scares the chit outta me.
I've read that you are looking for 4-strokes. But I will be putting her up for sale this summer.

Mostly.... like others have said. What type of riding do you really want to do??? :D

Im strictly riding trails with lots of mud, some decent rocky hills, and some swampy muskeggy chit (i just made that word up) ive seen as banshee out where i ride and he seems like hes doin fine but ive never ridden a 2 stroke I know what to do like keep er in the powerband but just never owned one so im skeptical about fouling plugs and flooding it

Gettin' Muddy

Reaction score
Ya, ive always been partial to the YFZ... mine is pretty nuts, but yes I sure do wish it was a fuelie
rhino006.jpg

i love those beadlocks man and your quad looks so sick, is fuel injection compared to carburated really a big issue?

Dylan.B

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ds is alright but is lacking on low end power. If I was going with a 450 I would buy the yfz. Best power handles great, and reliable. I have not ridden a ktm or kfx though. This is also personal preference. If i was doing alot of trail riding and mud I wouldnt buy a quad that didnt have reverse. Trust me when I say youll regret it if you buy with out it if you ride alot of trails. And that limits the 450s to the ktm polaris and kawi. Outlaw 525 has awesome power, ive only ridden/ owned the S model but I think that the IRS model would suit your needs perfect. The raptor would be my next choice- Just as good of power as the 525, efi, reverse, one of the most reliable sport atvs out there. Sport quads are selling for dirt cheap, and there are so many out there so dont be afraid to shop around a little

Top Bottom