Quietest release ever for Doo

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The freeride is not being marketed as a Deep snow sled. I doubt there will be a change in the tunnel width, if there is a advantage to having extra clearance at the drivers and an advantage of a shorter tunnel, than a 1/4” of extra clearance is not going to hurt with a 15W track. Technically doo always had a 15w at the paddles for snow evacuation relief.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

greenthumb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree and think that bulkhead might be due for a redesign anyway.

Following the pattern of XP->XM and then G4->G5; things will probably remain largely unchanged until the next chassis in about 4 MY's.
Who's knows where we will be by then. Regulations may dictate completely new powerplants and I suspect there will accommodations made for electric drivetrains.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Who's knows where we will be by then. Regulations may dictate completely new powerplants and I suspect there will accommodations made for electric drivetrains.

Hopefully under a government that gets their head out of their ass and realize fossil fuels will be around for decades to come.

But In another 4 years add 10g onto the price of a sled with how things are going. It may be cheaper to rent a sled instead of owning one especially with the way the warranty’s are going.

Mountainman52

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't think I have ever seen a release from Doo that has was so unresponsive from S & M members.

I know most guys are happy with the current design but i kinda got used to being excited for new tech this time of year. I sure hope Polaris and Cat wil have some interesting updates.
BNG

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I hope Polaris has more than BNG's. A new track would answer a demand. 3" with 3.5" pitch, series 9. Not sure if it needed though, but many want it. Also the P22 clutch needs to be improved. Maybe improved ski dampeners too. And like every year, Polaris will offer better flashes to fine tune the Boost and maybe even add power. If they do these things they will make followers happy. i would bet that Polaris has 2 or 3 releases planned and based on what Doo does, they pick their plan. Polaris won't release the 900 turbo until they feel the have too.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't think you'll ever see the 9R with factory boost, at least not in present form. It's a ported high compression mod motor, it'll never handle any significant amount of boost on pump fuel. Maybe they could use the same bore and displacement, however.

I'd rather see Polaris continue to develop the 850 as the boosted model, and leave the 9R as the N/A specific engine. Kinda like they did with the RZR, they developed the 925 specifically for boost, instead of using either the 900 or 1000 engines and boosting them.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Polaris needs direct injection and a more symmetrical engine before they can even start thinking about competing with the G5. Where Polaris needs to go they can’t get their with the current 850 or 9R for that matter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Polaris needs direct injection and a more symmetrical engine before they can even start thinking about competing with the G5. Where Polaris needs to go they can’t get their with the current 850 or 9R for that matter

I think there are some BRP patents standing in the way of Polaris getting direct injection. It's why BRP acquired Evinrude, I don't think they wanted to sell outboards, they needed the direct injection patents Evinrude held.

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
Polaris won't release the 900 turbo until they feel the have too.
I would hope Polaris concentrates on getting there current factory turbo working properly prior to going to the next stage of the 900. See several issues including fouling of plugs to clutch issues.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think there are some BRP patents standing in the way of Polaris getting direct injection. It's why BRP acquired Evinrude, I don't think they wanted to sell outboards, they needed the direct injection patents Evinrude held.

Hmmm probably right on that. Automotive industry is using DI. It wouldn’t have to be the voice coil DI skidoo uses but any form really would be an improvement

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hmmm probably right on that. Automotive industry is using DI. It wouldn’t have to be the voice coil DI skidoo uses but any form really would be an improvement

Well this is disappointing, looks like BRP doesn't own the patent as I've thought, Orbital Engine Company does and has licensed the technology to many companies including BRP and Polaris.

So Polaris could go direct injection but doesn't.

Regardless, I'd still argue there's performance left on the table with the current Polaris engines, the tuning for the '22 Boost's was pretty terrible, listening to the wastegate flutter made me want to poke my eardrums out, and the '23s aren't a whole lot better. Polaris would be well served hiring a competent group of engineers to workover the tuning on their sled engines.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well this is disappointing, looks like BRP doesn't own the patent as I've thought, Orbital Engine Company does and has licensed the technology to many companies including BRP and Polaris.

So Polaris could go direct injection but doesn't.

Regardless, I'd still argue there's performance left on the table with the current Polaris engines, the tuning for the '22 Boost's was pretty terrible, listening to the wastegate flutter made me want to poke my eardrums out, and the '23s aren't a whole lot better. Polaris would be well served hiring a competent group of engineers to workover the tuning on their sled engines.

I find it interesting that Keith curtis and Andy Thomas sleds always sound bang on when racing or in the backcountry. Everyone else not so much

smc

Reaction score
I find it interesting that Keith curtis and Andy Thomas sleds always sound bang on when racing or in the backcountry. Everyone else not so much

the race department doesn’t have to worry about passing emission tests. just imagine what skidoo and polaris could make without having to meet those standards.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I wonder what the race department tune for the stock G5 turbo is like?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would hope Polaris concentrates on getting there current factory turbo working properly prior to going to the next stage of the 900. See several issues including fouling of plugs to clutch issues.
I believe both the breaking plugs and clutch issues are related to the engines over revving. Detonation and harmonics that can go away when the motors are properly loaded.

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

If they can keep it together the 900 with a turbo would easily beat the G5 turbo but duribility will be the issue. Polaris does not need the extra weight and complexity of DI. DI is over-rated as the current N/A polaris 850 runs spot on. DI cannot keep up with turbo applications and that is why Doo has to use old school injectors to make power. Keep telling yourself that DI is the answer, it is only the answer if the question is "What is the best fueling for a 2 stroke touring sled".

Top Bottom