Questions for FORD DIESEL OWNERS

.08rider

Reaction score
I agree, all have good and bad. Personal preference is what makes the difference. Freedom of choice is a good thing. I had a Dodge and it was a good truck, just rode a bit rough,good on fuel but in my opinion not as much power as my 05 Ford. I was raised on Ford, so when I brought a Dodge to the old mans I almost had to park on the street, he was much happier to see the Ford, my new 08' only has 2300kms on it, and i cannot tell you if the pulling is the same she is just a baby. I pulled my sled trailer with 4 quads to slave lake , and it pulled great, but very hard on fuel. And i agree Dodge is long overdue for some styling changes. Dodge is also in need of a better automatic tranny,4 speeds is just not enough for a engine that red lines at 2700rpm.Happy truckin and safe sledding Dean.

.08rider

Reaction score
oh, and there are no chessy flames on the 08' harley he must have an 07'. My 08 is one of the nicest tow vehicles on the road today in my opinion and the 6.4L diesel is still young and is not problem free but it does have alot of power and pulls harder than my 6.0L did stock. Pulling does not have to be done with a tractor anymore, thanks to Ford, you can have both,power and great styling. Just my opinion, I really have nothing agaisnt any brand,just pro Ford.

Lococoin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the info guys. I've been looking and I find it odd that 01 F-350 7.3 Lariat Crew, with 147K no warranty and dealer wants $27,995 he said he'd drop $500 for me being militray. Then I see an 05 F-350 Lariat Fx4, Crew, with 108K and he wants $30,000

Now in my eyes I should grab the 05 with warranty and just buy the extended warranty if needed down the road.
Thats the problem buying used, I dont need one right away, so do I wait for color and options I want or grab one when the price is good?

Keep the info coming the more the better. And NO I dont want a DODGE! Chevy maybe if the options and price is right but I prefer the FORDS:D

Thats pretty high for an 01. I paid 20,500 for my 2000 f250 lariet crew with 130k on it.

Have you thought about looking south of the border? There are some great deals down there.

Culvert

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would look south but I'm already 3hrs north of Edmonton. Time off and getting it here would be the pain. Also buying site unseen.

Just keep looking. If anybody is getting rid of there's or know of any drop me a line.

Thanks.

2003Summit

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
quick with the wit, I like that, in my five year old, Ford owns cummins and have not used cummins.Enough said!!Dodge cabs look about as nice as my first homemade gocart.Just about as much power too if my grandma helped grampa push me!!

Ford does not own Cummins in any way. There is a press release flat out denying it on Cummins web site. I don't know how that roomer got spread around so persistently.

Linkz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
DO NOT BUY any 2004 6.0L vehicles. This comes from a friend of mine who is a service manager for ford. My 6.0 2004 has had the tranny, turbo and front end work done to it in under four years! Its been in the shop 12 times so far for updates and repairs. I paid 58,000.00 for it and I would be lucky to get 18,000.00 for it on trade in, what a loss, the worst investement I've ever made. Anybody wanna buy it!!!

I own a 2008 F350 aswell and I gotta say Ford got their sh!t together on that one, its a great truck!

Shredder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
DO NOT BUY any 2004 6.0L vehicles. This comes from a friend of mine who is a service manager for ford. My 6.0 2004 has had the tranny, turbo and front end work done to it in under four years! Its been in the shop 12 times so far for updates and repairs. I paid 58,000.00 for it and I would be lucky to get 18,000.00 for it on trade in, what a loss, the worst investement I've ever made. Anybody wanna buy it!!!

I own a 2008 F350 aswell and I gotta say Ford got their sh!t together on that one, its a great truck!

I had an '04. I put 130,000kms on it. Lost 1 injector, and did 1 ball joint. Was in the shop for only those 2 things in 3 years.:cool: You're getting fuggin' a$$ rammed to get $18,000.00 on trade.:eek: I just got $29,000.00 for my '04 Larait in June. I think some were good and some were real bad. I agree that if a guy was looking at 6.0l's I'd try to stick to the '05-'07 years; just to get the new front suspension vs the leaf spring fronts on the '03/'04's.

Culvert

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You guys with the 6L Ford's. What kind of fuel mileage are you getting. In town, hwy, towing.

Thanks for the info so far. Keep it coming.

popeye

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You guys with the 6L Ford's. What kind of fuel mileage are you getting. In town, hwy, towing.

05 F350.I get about 15mpg hiway,12mpg towing 26' inclosed trailer. I have 4.10 gears and 295/70r17 tires and barely drive lessthan 120k on hiway. My brother has a 07 f350 srw with welder weighing in at 11000# with 3.73gears with 35" tires and he gets 14mpg hiway but he has a really heavy right foot. My dad has the 360 hp duramax in dually truck and gets about 14mpg. All the heavy duties sucker back.

GRD

Reaction score

Stop in go in the city I am getting 13.5 mpg and empty on the highway I am 18.5 mpg, havent towed with the truck. The truck is new to me, so I havent exactly been light on the pedal.

My truck is an 2006 F-350 with 3.73 gears. I have a 4 inch turbo back ss exhaust, afe cold air intake and a programmer...

Last edited:

Linkz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had an '04. I put 130,000kms on it. Lost 1 injector, and did 1 ball joint. Was in the shop for only those 2 things in 3 years.:cool: You're getting fuggin' a$$ rammed to get $18,000.00 on trade.:eek: I just got $29,000.00 for my '04 Larait in June. I think some were good and some were real bad. I agree that if a guy was looking at 6.0l's I'd try to stick to the '05-'07 years; just to get the new front suspension vs the leaf spring fronts on the '03/'04's.

Good info (on your trade in value), thanks!

lightweight

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if you by a 03 -07 6liter you will need all the warrenty you can get. i have a 03 7.3 85km just bought it 32000 . paid alot but you couldn't give me a 6 liter.. the last 7.3 i had 475000km before i sold it. and it still ran very strong. The most important thing is oil changes 5000 km intervals max.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
ANY OF YOU FORD OWNERS "HARPOON" YOUR GAS TANKS YET??? MY OLD '04 F350 6.0L PSTD CREW CAB 4X4 HAD THE NORMAL 109L TANK.... I READ ABOUT THIS IN THE FORD OWNERS FORUM, AND IT WAS BASICALLY PULL THE FUEL TANK AND CUT THE FUEL FILLER NECK INSIDE THE GAS TANK OFF.... THE FUEL FILLER TUBE IS ABOUT 4" INTO THE TANK(BELOW THE TOP) FOR FUEL EXPANSION. ALL THAT IS DONE IS TO CUT THIS NECK OFF ABOUT 1/2" BELOW THE TOP OF THE TANK(CUT ABOUT 3 1/2" OFF) AND SUDDENLY THE TANK WILL HOLD AT LEAST 139L:eek:..... HUGE RANGE INCREASE. JUST THOUGHT YOU MIGHT WANT TO KNOW.

2003Summit

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ANY OF YOU FORD OWNERS "HARPOON" YOUR GAS TANKS YET??? MY OLD '04 F350 6.0L PSTD CREW CAB 4X4 HAD THE NORMAL 109L TANK.... I READ ABOUT THIS IN THE FORD OWNERS FORUM, AND IT WAS BASICALLY PULL THE FUEL TANK AND CUT THE FUEL FILLER NECK INSIDE THE GAS TANK OFF.... THE FUEL FILLER TUBE IS ABOUT 4" INTO THE TANK(BELOW THE TOP) FOR FUEL EXPANSION. ALL THAT IS DONE IS TO CUT THIS NECK OFF ABOUT 1/2" BELOW THE TOP OF THE TANK(CUT ABOUT 3 1/2" OFF) AND SUDDENLY THE TANK WILL HOLD AT LEAST 139L:eek:..... HUGE RANGE INCREASE. JUST THOUGHT YOU MIGHT WANT TO KNOW.

I wonder if that works on a cube van? I am already at about 150l, maybe I could get to 175 or 200? I wonder how many times you have to put your cc in the pump to fill that up?

hbar218

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
had 04 6.0L with 200,000km and no major problems
had 06 6.0l with 205,000km and had head gasket go at 158,000km only problem
the 05 and up have better front suspension-coils
08 6.4l with 21,000 km no problems yet but hard on fue
i think i like the 06 better than the 08
just my 2 centsl

biggish

Reaction score
hey guys!new guy here love the site.i was reading the post about he 6.0l i own a 04 psd crew cab dually with a 8 by 10 deck i use for work hauling anything and have had no problems with the truck except for regular maintence and wear and tear my truck has 168k on her and love it the truck is stock except for exhaust and filter i get about 17 to 20 mpg hauling 5000lbs hotshots all the time and before i put the deck on her i got much better milage so mabey i got lucky i dont now but shes been very strong and good to me.just wanted to share my 6.0l

tanner

Reaction score
I wouldn't get a 04. I used 1 for a service truck the first 600kms the trans went. The oil cooler went 2 times, new heads at about 60 000kms and I don't know anyone who could afford injectors if there not on warrenty. Oh yeah the engine was blowen at 125000km. I like ford trucks but watch the 6L thats for sure. 7.3L is a little loud but will last for ever, my dad has a 97 with 450 000km and all he has done injectors not to bad I think.

CdnWrangler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yup.... I think you got lucky.....

Glad your truck is holding up and treating you good...

hey guys!new guy here love the site.i was reading the post about he 6.0l i own a 04 psd crew cab dually with a 8 by 10 deck i use for work hauling anything and have had no problems with the truck except for regular maintence and wear and tear my truck has 168k on her and love it the truck is stock except for exhaust and filter i get about 17 to 20 mpg hauling 5000lbs hotshots all the time and before i put the deck on her i got much better milage so mabey i got lucky i dont now but shes been very strong and good to me.just wanted to share my 6.0l

bergy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've got a 05 F550 with the 6L. It has 160K on it and is currently in the shop again. Since new it has had all the injectors on the right bank changed twice, three egr valves, one egr cooler, one new intake manifold, one new turbo, one high pressure oil pump (I suspect that is the problem again) and one trans temp sensor. It's not my truck it is owned by the company i work for. I change the oil around every 5000 kms and use 5/40 synthetic. I am glad i don't own it. I have a 05 Duramax and would not trade it for anything!! That is just my two cents:twocents:

Top Bottom