Questions for FORD DIESEL OWNERS

Culvert

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys

Question for the FORD DIESEL owners.
I'm looking at getting a used truck. I'm looking for a F-350 CrewCab Lariat or better. 02-06
Where can I go to look for info on common problems/ recalls with the different models?
I'm holding out for a 02-03 7.3L, but I wonder if I should not just go with the 6L. jumping up to the 05-06. What are the pros/cons of each. What if any are the extra options from 02-06?

Thanks, Mark

PS anybody a FORD salesman??

sled

Reaction score
A guy that I work with has a 06 and the turbos keep going on him.He does use that the truck for work as a service contractor.hope that helps you

2003Summit

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys

I'm looking at getting a used truck. I'm looking for a F-350 CrewCab Lariat or better. 02-06
Where can I go to look for info on common problems/ recalls with the different models?
I'm holding out for a 02-03 7.3L, but I wonder if I should not just go with the 6L. jumping up to the 05-06. What are the pros/cons of each. What if any are the extra options from 02-06?

Thanks, Mark

I just bought a cube van with a 6l diesel, an 06. I was told by some other ford owners to stay away from the 03-04 6l, early problems like injector issues and such. The 05-06 was supposed to be better. That's about all I really know for sure, and that it's way noisier than my dodge. :)

Speaking of salesman, I dealt with DK ford in Leduc. This is the second time in 9 years I have purchased from them. Both times they have been fantastic and very refreshing in both sales and service, in all aspects and with everyone there I have had contact with, and I **really** hate dealers. I dealt with Fred in sales both times, he is a great guy. Maybe give them a try. I have also had pretty good luck with Koch on 51st (not surprisingly, same owner family).

Snort

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You can also try ford-trucks.com. They have a section for Technical Service Bulletins and Recalls.

I had a 05 and the only trouble I had was the connection on the hi pressure oil pump went. The injection system is driven by hi pressure oil. Had intermittent stalling/not starting until the dealer could diagnose the problem.

Had an 02 7.3L chipped and thought that it had more jam than the stock 6.0.

Also know people that have had very few problems with the 03 & 04s.

Personally would look for a 7.3 or 05/06 6.0.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Hi Guys

Thanks, Mark

HI: YUP, STAY AWAY FROM THE '04 - '05 6.0L PSTD(POWERSTROKE TURBO DIESEL).... THEY HAVE HEAD GASKET PROBLEMS, EGR COOLER PROBLEMS, INJECTOR PROBLEMS.... SAFEST TO GO WITH AN '06 OR NEW AND BE SURE TO HAVE LOW MILEAGE, AS THE DIESEL WARRANTY IS TO 160,000KMS. 6.0L ENGINE DEFINATELY BETTER GAS MILEAGE AND MORE POWER THAN THE 7.3L, BUT THE 7.3L IS A MUCH MORE RELIABLE ENGINE AND OVERALL BETTER DESIGN. MY 2 CENTS(AS A MASTER AUTOMOTIVE TECHNICIAN).........:twocents:

new24stroke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't say that the 6.0 has better fuel mileage then the 7.3.I get 24 mpg with my 02

Lococoin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya i get 20 mpg highway/city combined with my 2000 7.3 with a 6 speed. Not as fast as the 6.0 but supposed to be really reliable.

catzuki

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Buy a dodge. Problem Sloved. I have to say the ford do go like snot, buy forever have problems. At my last work, lots of guys had 6L and lots had turbo,injector,head gaskets goin constantly. But they were used HARD. My boss has one for sale right now acctually. Ill get you a pic tommorow. Its a 05 with 10x,xxxkm on it and its a full load crew cab with a 4" lift. no chip, just exhaust. But my personal preference is a dodge, I have put just about 100,000km on mine and no major problems. And im puttin down around 500RWHP for 70,000km of that.

.08rider

Reaction score
I now have an 08' but my last ruck was an 05' i put 157000kms in 2 years and it was a great truck. I had a banks six gun tunner and monster pipe. I had it in to the dealer once for a recall on emmisions. The 08' has more power stock,but wouldn"t touch my 05' with some goodies,I think everyone knows someone who has had trouble with the 6.0L, but my opinion it is over talked about.They are good motors but I would buy a later model,such as a 06' or 07'
Just my 2cents.

.08rider

Reaction score
Oh and i drove that truck like I stole it everyday,plus pulled a trailer almost everyday.work trailer,12,000lbs,Holiday trailer 9900lbs skidoo trailer loaded for McBride 10,000lbs.
Good all round truck.

Culvert

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the info guys. I've been looking and I find it odd that 01 F-350 7.3 Lariat Crew, with 147K no warranty and dealer wants $27,995 he said he'd drop $500 for me being militray. Then I see an 05 F-350 Lariat Fx4, Crew, with 108K and he wants $30,000

Now in my eyes I should grab the 05 with warranty and just buy the extended warranty if needed down the road.
Thats the problem buying used, I dont need one right away, so do I wait for color and options I want or grab one when the price is good?

Keep the info coming the more the better. And NO I dont want a DODGE! Chevy maybe if the options and price is right but I prefer the FORDS:D

BIGFOOT

Reaction score
Hey 'Culvert'.... One thing for sure is your choice order is right ! LOL! :D

.08rider

Reaction score
I would say the same."NO to Dodge" I had an 02" rode like a gravel truck. I sold my 05" ford to my buddy for $30,000.00. so there are some good deals out there you just have to keep looking.Chev diesels have had there own faults with them as well, my best bud has had no less than 10 sets of injectors put in his truck with only 240k.
My 02

Culvert

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
08rider. do you know what size tires you can fit under the 05 without a lift?
seen one with front leveling kit and 35" tires on 17" rims. wondering if he had to put a lift in or if thats just stock suspension with larger tires?

thanks

Dean10

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Why are you hooked on Ford, did you lose a bet?? They do look good in my rear view mirror, I'll give you that.

.08rider

Reaction score
my 05 had just leveling kit and i had 35" open country toyos on stock rims with a little rubbin, as for you Dean, I would rather lose a bet to drive a ford than pay money to drive a dodge!Farmers drive Dodge,FRAMERS drive FORD!

Dean10

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So you got framed, and they tricked you into a Ford, is that it?

.08rider

Reaction score
quick with the wit, I like that, in my five year old, Ford owns cummins and have not used cummins.Enough said!!Dodge cabs look about as nice as my first homemade gocart.Just about as much power too if my grandma helped grampa push me!!

Dean10

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well, a good friend of mine has the 08 Harley F350, and it is a nice looking truck, I'll give you that. But not matter if we're empty, loaded, or towing, he is ALWAYS struggling to keep up. My RV is 2000lbs heavier and I walk away every time. I think all the brands have thier ups and downs, and Dodge is over due for a styling change, but weather ford owns cummins or not, I'm buying a tow vehicle for the power, not for the cheesy flames on the rocker.

Top Bottom