questions about oil!

thebutters

Reaction score
Not sure about the oil you mentioned. Everybody I know (slednecks, powder hounds and racers alike) all use blue marble oil...

I had my father start using it in his 600RMK after I rebuilt the engine and now it has more miles on the rebuild than the OEM engine and it runs just as smooth as the day he bought it...

Good luck on your quest.

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was told the "opti" was a great oil then it was bought out hence the name switch "opti 2" it has been down graded. I run Amsoil in everything now.

Bulldog Racing

Reaction score
Amsoil -- Its the only thing that will stop a D&D motor from becoming expensive shrapnel.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have always ran Amsoil in past sleds but I think the new to me King cat will be getting good old Castrol! I really do not think it's worth it to spend the big extra coin for synthetic. 19/gallon vs 33/gallon is hard to justify for a stock sled!

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Amsoil interceptor. Cheap insurance on an expensive toy.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have always ran Amsoil in past sleds but I think the new to me King cat will be getting good old Castrol! I really do not think it's worth it to spend the big extra coin for synthetic. 19/gallon vs 33/gallon is hard to justify for a stock sled!

You should price out parts for that motor first before making an oil decision, seriously. Sometimes the small cost 4-5 times a year for a jug of oil ($100) is far less than the cost of motor repairs ($1500). Best advice you can get about oil IMO was told to me by a guy who used to tune for Ski Doo - Run what the motor is built for, (regardless of the few extra $$$ cost), you will be $$$ ahead in the end. If its a '78 Blizzard - run whatever the heck you want. If its a race built motor - Run what the builder hands you and don't ask about the price, just buy a case, its usually cheaper in bulk. :D hope that helps.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You should price out parts for that motor first before making an oil decision, seriously. Sometimes the small cost 4-5 times a year for a jug of oil ($100) is far less than the cost of motor repairs ($1500). Best advice you can get about oil IMO was told to me by a guy who used to tune for Ski Doo - Run what the motor is built for, (regardless of the few extra $$$ cost), you will be $$$ ahead in the end. If its a '78 Blizzard - run whatever the heck you want. If its a race built motor - Run what the builder hands you and don't ask about the price, just buy a case, its usually cheaper in bulk. :D hope that helps.

so true. i have somewhat of a race built motor and when my buddies throw the motomaster oil into there sleds i just cringe, and when i runout of my oil they think im weird that i wont use there oil or switch or mix. haha oil is oil they say.

NOT TRUE!!

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't really know i'm still indecided, the old owner used regular old dino oil for 1,200 miles on the sled and it runs great. I'm really not worried about cost, but if it isn't any better for my engine then it would be hard to justify. I will probably end up with Amsoil, just because I plan to keep the sled for a really long time.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ouch! Went to Amsoil today and $40 for inteceptor cause of the bad dollar :mad: Guess I will be buying the cheap stuff. But which one do you guys think is the best? Motomaster, Castrol, or Shell?

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
Ouch! Went to Amsoil today and $40 for inteceptor cause of the bad dollar :mad: Guess I will be buying the cheap stuff. But which one do you guys think is the best? Motomaster, Castrol, or Shell?

Yep, the Amsoil has been expensive with the dollar being low. I usually sell alot of it and now I havn't bothered to much as the price is crazy. But if you want to pay, i think its the best and I'll get some for you.

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
go with the shell oil I use that in my 2000 Formula 600 with 7500 km no problems yet will use it on my 2008 XP after warranty over. Full Synethic all the way. Watch during the summer at CT for it on sale

Haggis

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
go with the shell oil I use that in my 2000 Formula 600 with 7500 km no problems yet will use it on my 2008 XP after warranty over. Full Synethic all the way. Watch during the summer at CT for it on sale

I was really leary of the Shell oil, until reading a lot of threads on here. It is the same oil that Cat uses and is not a cheap grade oil as I thought it was.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

The Shell synthetic is $36, doesn't seem like a great deal to me, considering that is a sale price. I was considering the regular stuff. As far as Amsoil, thanks for the offer I use it in my truck completly so i've got a preferred customer thing.

crm1000

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
opti is great stuff thats all i run in my dirtbikes both opti 2(2 stroke) and opti 4 (4 stroke) opti is still opti i have never heard of it being bought out and name being changed opti 2 means its for 2 strokes just my 2 cents

XP CRAZY

Reaction score
If you've ever seen an engine torn down after running AMSOIL you would be sold on it!

Top Bottom