Question for the pro welders

woody_tobius_jr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So, try as I might, I just can't seem to get a smooth weld when I'm welding on the bottom side of something, when I circle back into my puddle, it just seems to glop and drip. I've tried going straight across without the puddle, and it is tidier, but I'm not getting the penetration that I need. Advice??

Mudrookie

Reaction score
Not sure what procees your using but it sounds like you are pulling out of your puddle while you go across or pushing in to far, the key to a good overhead is keep very steady and I make a slight weave not a circle more like a quick v depending on the size of the fillet you want, also your tempeture is key and there are welding rods that are not meant to be burned overhead. you can look up good techniques online, when i first started welding i always used scrap to set my temps and find a good rod inclination set up is key for any weld.

Mudrookie

Reaction score
There are a few tips I always hand out when asked for advice on an overhead 4G weld test...
Set the machine just hot enough so that when you hold a really tight arc, it does not stick...
Hold a really tight arc
try to use a dead nuts 90 degree rod angle.
and one more tip... try to hold the stinger in such a way so that when (when not if) slag drips, it wont land on your glove fingers because if that happens you will need to decide whether to be tough it out and live with the burns, or stop and have an extra tie in.
Either way you lose.
Most beginners try to turn the amperage down thinking that using low amperage will prevent the weld from dropping down.
WRONG!
Thats the wrong plan. For overhead welding , set the amperage like you were welding flat and keep the rod packed in tight and the arc force with help the weld punch in and flatten out.
just dont get crazy with the amperage and keep the rod angle at 90 degrees.

I took this of a website for you.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good advice mudrookie. Like he said over you set your welder just like flat maybe ever a bit hotter. But we can sit here and tell you how to all day long, but there is only one way to get better and that is bye practicing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sweld

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Definitely need to know the process first

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

woody_tobius_jr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sorry guys, MIG welding.
I tried setting the welder a little hotter before, but ended up blowing a hole through the tubing ( 1 1/4" square x 3/16" TH) I definately need more practice on this though :)

Mudrookie - I'll give your 'V' pattern a try...oh and I went through the "do I try and keep welding or shake the glob off my hand" you're right, no real winner when this happens. :)

I'm open to all advice for sure though.

TROLLCAT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
small stringer beads, 3 beads of weld where you would normally use 1 bead on a flat surface, use this for overhead

also are you pulling or pushing the bead ?

woody_tobius_jr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm pulling the bead.
When you say stringer beads, do you mean just run a straight bead, no patterns?
Never really on flat surfaces, they're usually on an inside 90 that I have the biggest issues with.

TROLLCAT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm pulling the bead.
When you say stringer beads, do you mean just run a straight bead, no patterns?
Never really on flat surfaces, they're usually on an inside 90 that I have the biggest issues with.

if you run small stringer beads you just build up the gap until its closed run one bead on one piece and then on the other piece and close the gap with the third bead the metal will be hot after the first 2 beads and the penetration will be good

hope this makes sense Woody

TROLLCAT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
oh yah just straight beads , If you are ever on a ship look at the beads holding the hull together all stringer beads no weave patterns

pistoncontracting

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It would be much easier to show you, but I would say try pushing it, in sort of a 2 steps forward, 1 step back straight line bead. The whole hot vs cold thing I find is totally dependant on the speed at which you wan to travel, and how much material you want to deposit in 1 pass.
Also remember that preping the area ie.- cleaning, etc is more important and can have a greater impact on the finished product then the act of welding.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Top Bottom