question for mechanics, smoking atv only when hot

tntsmallmotor

Reaction score
My buddy swamped his bike last year, its a 07 prairie 650, he couldn't get it running, the bike felt seized but after we took top end apart it was good, spins over great, so we put it back together but when it gets up to temp it starts to smoke bad, so we tore it apart again and put new rings in it, put it back together and same thing
mad.gif
.... What am I missing, when its not up to running temp it don't smoke a bit.... only when hot.. the smoke isn't a very blue smoke but smells like a oil smoke but haven't ruled it out... has anyone ever seen this before.. when I put it back together I used all new gaskets and even added liquid gasket to them the second time.... where should I start next... thanks a lot guys

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is the oil or coolant milky? Try pressure testing the cooling system when it's at operating temp.

doorfx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Did you check the end gap on the rings? Did you give the jug a slight hone?

tntsmallmotor

Reaction score
I never did but am wishing i did.. I check oil and coolent tonight. How is best way to know it is valves or rings.. Like i said i fired it up the first time with old rings and it smoked, so changed them out but never honed anything.. I will run pressure test on cooling system.. Thanls alot guys, i give upgldates

250mark1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Did you tear the motor right down or only the top end. I would put money on it the bottom end is full of mud and crap
And it will tear up top ends until it is cleaned and fixed

doorfx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Plus if you didn't end gap the rings correctly when it warms up they expand and the ends contact each other stopping the ring from making a good seal.are you sure the rings are in the right order and facing the right direction? Some rings have an up and down orientation

Top Bottom