22 Boost Flooding and killing itself

Wrench & Ride

Reaction score
Buddy started his boost today. Ran as normal until it got about half way to operating temp and it randomly died. Wouldn't restart and smelled pretty gassy. We pulled the plugs and they were soaked. Dried them and the cylinders out and it restarted for a split second then died again. Tried drying everything out a few more times. Finally got it to stay running but was only on one cylinder and was not sounding healthy. Maybe a stuck injector hammering the fuel to it?

It'll be going to the dealer asap. For now it's a brand new paperweight with 2 stop rides and now apparently the engine decided to give itself a forced stop ride.....

Pretty sweet.

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

OnlyPolaris

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Put new plugs in it. They run way richer when they are cold and warming up. One of the plugs is fowled. While ya got the hood off adjust the throttle cable freeplay. I can guarantee it is loose.

ctd

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've heard this problem from others, I'm not a Poo guy. Doo had this issue back in the RT 1000 days, the POS would go into would go into warm up mode & bog @ the most inopportune times.

Until the genius engineers @ BRP figured it out we had a bypass resistor switch for the engine coolant temperature sensor. The ECU always seen the ECT above 100F when you switched the resistor. This POS would always start, the problem was no thermostat so in deep snow the ETC would go below the 100F.

Maybe that would work as temporary fix if Poo does not a solution yet.. Guessing it is a mapping issue in the ECU for cold start & warm up.

adamg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The bad news is the dealer will lock it in jail until Polaris let's them release it. Not that it is very useful to your buddy at this point.

tjrishel

Reaction score
Put new plugs in it. They run way richer when they are cold and warming up. One of the plugs is fowled. While ya got the hood off adjust the throttle cable freeplay. I can guarantee it is loose.
same spec as the AXIS? Adjuster near the throttle bodies?

gedakbx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Try disconnecting the Coolant sending unit in the cylinder head. Check for corrosion, or poor connection in the plug due to bent connector pins. If this sending unit is reading lower than normal temps it will run rich.

steevo

Reaction score
Having the same problem with mine. Swapped out the BR9EA plugs with BR9EYA plugs, got rid of the Extreme Polaris oil, and put in the VES. Made it an entire ride without fouling plugs.
Went to the dealer to investigate the problem, and have new injectors on the way.

thump

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have been having very similar problem with my 22 N/A. Sled is out of break-in mode. Mine has only fouled plugs on the first start of the day. When it has been parked outside, it fires up right away then after about 3-4 seconds of idling it will start to load up and then go down one one side. I change plugs and it fires right up and runs like the choke is on but does not die and the fumes are very heavy. Everything is stock. Dealer has changed out injectors and the harness feeding it, hasn't helped. Changed the temperature sensor in the air box, didn't help. Other suggestions I have come across are, change coils, so I checked ohm specs and mine are out of spec and the dealer also checked a new sled on the floor for comparison and it was also out of spec( same reading as mine) so do both sleds have bad coils or is the spec in the service manual wrong? Looking into this. I just emptied my oil tank of the Extreme and put in the Gold, have yet to run the sled to see if that will help, was suggested by a different dealer. TPS sensor? I was told it is non-adjustable?? So the throttle body would have to be replaced if found defective? My nephew suggested using BR9EYA, helped his sled, haven't done this yet. EGT sensors not reading correct? I pulled both sensors, the one in the pipe was dry and black and the one in the can was dry and black but had small moisture droplets all over it. When the sled is in my heated shop it starts and idles fine. When it was -22ish I left it outside for 3 days and tried it every morning and it would start and idle just fine but still rich. Its seems just around the -5 plus or minus 5 temp that it has this problem. No codes have shown up so this makes it more difficult for the dealer to start throwing parts at it. I think it is a fuel mapping problem.

Top Bottom