Question about Log Truck Drivers.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know well how it works but at $100 for stumpage no one makes money, well maybe the trucks.
$20-$23 to log it and $15-$20 to haul it plus $5 allocation of overhead no silviculture costs on BCTS is a $140-$148 log. If it's a nice log there's still margin in that, even a dimensional mill had margin in that until July.

freeflorider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
$20-$23 to log it and $15-$20 to haul it plus $5 allocation of overhead no silviculture costs on BCTS is a $140-$148 log. If it's a nice log there's still margin in that, even a dimensional mill had margin in that until July.

Our ground is hardly flat. This sale is burnt, must const 1.7 km of road, log it and burn it. 40% Yarder or 55%-70%slopes and figure it out, must pull 70% of road back when done. So what I’m saying is by the time you do all this what’s left over when prices on burn fir/cedar and hemlock run an average of say $90. We need to pay the truckers something...
i bet you at $95 bucks before you throw a bonus bid back at them.
nothing left here.
just saying this is why loggers are going the way of the doe doe bird.
Oh yah the sale may net 6000cubic meters. No volume there.

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Our ground is hardly flat. This sale is burnt, must const 1.7 km of road, log it and burn it. 40% Yarder or 55%-70%slopes and figure it out, must pull 70% of road back when done. So what I’m saying is by the time you do all this what’s left over when prices on burn fir/cedar and hemlock run an average of say $90. We need to pay the truckers something...
nothing left here.

We are in a 9000m3 block. At $24/me moving on average 700m3 per day.

Take out wages and fuel for 2 bunches, 2 skidders, processor at $4m3, and the piling it doesn't leave much wiggle room.

This is why pulp markets have become such a crucial part of the industry. Every stick must go to town

Last edited:

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
nothing left here.
Definitely a different situation than my example of $100 stumpage. There are some mills struggling to stay open in your area that are just taking wood at a loss to avoid shutdowns beyond what is already scheduled. Writing is on the wall for Interfor GF and possibly Vaagen IMO.

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Definitely a different situation than my example of $100 stumpage. There are some mills struggling to stay open in your area that are just taking wood at a loss to avoid shutdowns beyond what is already scheduled. Writing is on the wall for Interfor GF and possibly Vaagen IMO.

And a few others

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We're definitely doing our part in Edmonton with using lumber, cannot believe how much new construction is still going. And wood prices are ridiculous. Someone is still making a lot of money on it.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
West Fraser in quesnel and Fraser lake has dropped their 3rd shift and canfor Houston has gone to a 4 day workweek
Yeah I figure West Fraser will divert the logs that frees up in Quesnel to their other Cariboo facilities, don't see it helping Tolko much.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have driven down hiway 16 and seen 2 B-trains of lumber 1 heading east and 1 heading west at the same time

is this to keep the truckers busy :confused:
Westbound is either high quality J grade or low quality economy going to Prince Rupert port to Japan or China respectively and east bound is mid grade staying in Canada or taking the long way to Chicago.

freeflorider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Westbound is either high quality J grade or low quality economy going to Prince Rupert port to Japan or China respectively and east bound is mid grade staying in Canada or taking the long way to Chicago.

Or a new Canadian that can’t read the road signs and is driving in circles....sorry just could bite my tong hard enough.

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nice rigging though
Must be alot of money in logging.
6f3a15f50b7d2c3e318b45abe9551d95.jpg
61c4a6b180c5e199098efd7a30b86c59.jpg

Top Bottom