Question about Log Truck Drivers.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So true, always appreciate good help and it’s rewarded. Slackers and poor additudes are like death by a thousand cuts. Still think it easier to park it then have damage and injury.
Good employees that contribute to positive fun work site then becomes a productive work site.

Agreed. I don't understand people who want to try and get big, fawk it. I will stay by myself or with 1 helper running my own chit and do just fine without all the BS. I think there is a certain size were you break over and do ok, but that's when you're talking hundreds of employees. My brother is dealing with it right now, pretty much every single day problems, many jobs are break even or a loss, and a ton of hassle. Learning the hard way. But some people want to say they have "XX number of employees" or whatever. A small well run company you can do extremely well for yourself and have a lot less BS.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A one man show isn't really a company imo. I don't know why anyone would want to stay small?
There is no way in hell we could take on the projects we do with 1 guy.

How are you going to work on your business, if you are working in it?

If you don't want the "stress" of having employees and fixing equipment, and you just want to run a machine your whole life, you are probably better off to go work for someone else that has a company and let them worry about the "business"

Last edited:

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A one man show isn't really a company imo. I don't know why anyone would want to stay small?
There is no way in hell we could take on the projects we do with 1 guy.

How are you going to work on your business, if you are working in it?

If you don't want the "stress" of having employees and fixing equipment, and you just want to run a machine your whole life, you are probably better off to go work for someone else that has a company and let them worry about the "business"

You have a very misinformed outlook. I have a few casual employees, so I do and I don't.

Why not? More employees more problems generally speaking. Not making any money when employees break chit. I run my 3 pieces of equipment myself currently. Sure I could have all 3 running steady but I can't find decent operators and i'm tired of having my time wasted by people who claim to know what they are doing when they don't, I need to invest a decent amount of money trying out virtually any operator, so anytime I try, i'm loosing money if it doesn't work out. I almost had someone take out a final on my mini hoe from clogging up the sprockets with wet dirt, letting it freeze overnight and running it again the next day with zero attempt to clean it out. That's a $10k bill per final, never mind the down time. That machine has to work a lot to pay for one fawkup. I don't have problems fixing equipment, I have problems fixing equipment caused by stupidity.

Why would I work for someone else? I set my own hours and earn leaps and bounds more then an employee running a piece of equipment ever will. Not to sound arrogant, but I guarantee I make money in a year then my competitors running a few machines run by employees. Why? I'm quicker, less breakdowns, less material wasted, and actually give a chit and avoid so many problems that most employees wouldn't care about.

What i'm doing works great for me 2/3 of my pieces of equipment are paid for, everything works enough to be justified and I don't have much stress. Think what i'm doing is wrong all you want, it's working great for me :beer:

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You have a very misinformed outlook. I have a few casual employees, so I do and I don't.

Why not? More employees more problems generally speaking. Not making any money when employees break chit. I run my 3 pieces of equipment myself currently. Sure I could have all 3 running steady but I can't find decent operators and i'm tired of having my time wasted by people who claim to know what they are doing when they don't, I need to invest a decent amount of money trying out virtually any operator, so anytime I try, i'm loosing money if it doesn't work out. I almost had someone take out a final on my mini hoe from clogging up the sprockets with wet dirt, letting it freeze overnight and running it again the next day with zero attempt to clean it out. That's a $10k bill per final, never mind the down time. That machine has to work a lot to pay for one fawkup. I don't have problems fixing equipment, I have problems fixing equipment caused by stupidity.

Why would I work for someone else? I set my own hours and earn leaps and bounds more then an employee running a piece of equipment ever will. Not to sound arrogant, but I guarantee I make money in a year then my competitors running a few machines run by employees. Why? I'm quicker, less breakdowns, less material wasted, and actually give a chit and avoid so many problems that most employees wouldn't care about.

What i'm doing works great for me 2/3 of my pieces of equipment are paid for, everything works enough to be justified and I don't have much stress. Think what i'm doing is wrong all you want, it's working great for me :beer:

Hey no offense intended man. If it's working for you, that is good. But having employees has worked out pretty decent for my family.

Cheers. :beer:

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey no offense intended man. If it's working for you, that is good. But having employees has worked out pretty decent for my family.

Cheers. :beer:

If you can find decent people, yea it's great and they will make you lots of money, and i'm hoping to find a few like that, but finding someone capable of running a shovel isn't even easy. But bad ones will kill you even faster. A lot also depends on what they are doing. Trusting employees to run equipment that in mere seconds could put you out of business is a lot of responsibility, compared to an employee running a cash register, or something like that.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you can find decent people, yea it's great and they will make you lots of money, and i'm hoping to find a few like that, but finding someone capable of running a shovel isn't even easy. But bad ones will kill you even faster. A lot also depends on what they are doing. Trusting employees to run equipment that in mere seconds could put you out of business is a lot of responsibility, compared to an employee running a cash register, or something like that.

Yeah you need a lot of capital to run a constuction business, guys fawk up it cost big money. I know, trust me. Not here to brag or have pissing contest we do big $ projects though.

When you are still small and starting out, finding a few good guys is essential, maybe a friend or someone you can trust. Maybe even a partner that can put some money in. Then when you have some good guys, they can watch and train new guys for you. That would give you more time to work on the actual business.

Anyways good luck, I always like your posts, I can tell you are an entrepreneur.

Last edited:

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How many are getting their cat piss delivered? Versus buying it at the pumps.

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I buy DEF at local truck dealership, they have a pump, $.80 per liter

Top Bottom