Quartz creek for a first timer

Jordan1924

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if it is a wise idea taking a beginner to Quartz at this time of year?

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
gotta start some where right? might as well be now

Taminator

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Quartz is almost your best option for beginners IMO. This time of year there could be more hazards like rocks or stumps lurking depending on snow depth...but it's easy for even a newbie to avoid those - few creeks might be open, especially near cabin valley...but you can see them if you're lookin'. I went there as a new rider often...and at the start of the season and I wouldn't hesitate if I were you...just get out for a ride :D :D

Jordan1924

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ive just never been so i wasnt sure of the ride in, Im bringing my wife for her first mountain ride so i just want to make sure it will be enjoyable for her.
Is there open spots around the cabin to play around in?

Wilk INStheWEST

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ive just never been so i wasnt sure of the ride in, Im bringing my wife for her first mountain ride so i just want to make sure it will be enjoyable for her.
Is there open spots around the cabin to play around in?

Lots! There is a huge open meadow that is perfect for beginners to play around in and get the handling of the sled down, plus some easier open hills. You just need to look out for the creek that runs through the meadow, but it's easy enough to stay away from.

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Great area for beginners. I doubled a buddy in a couple years ago and let him fart around on my sled in the meadows. It's a great spot. Easy trail up, nice cabin, easy to maneuver, not a lot of terrain traps, plenty of space and play areas. This is the one spot I would bring any first timer to the mountains. Also my favorite place to have an easy first ride of the year to make sure the sleds working.

fnDan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think the ride to the cabin is perfect for beginners. At certain times of the year the trail going to the meadows gets a bit challenging. Some people pin it and create some deep ruts that will be initimidating for a beginner.
I would let her relax at the cabin after the ride in. If the trail is whooped, she'll need it. Then, I'd go and scout the trails to the meadows and to the right to see what they're like before you take her. With spouses and gf's you want to make sure it's enjoyable.
Frustrated spouses/gf's isn't fun for anyone. We think sledding is the best thing in the world because we know how. I think it's a good thing to let people know that it's OK to say you're not comfortable attempting some stuff instead of the "I have to do this, cause everyone else is" mentality. I've talked to a couple of guys recently that tried sledding once and will never go again because they were expected to learn too much their first time out.

powderhoundbrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No easier place to ride in the mountains than Quartz. Not sure how the trail is right now, there may be a few tricky creek crossings. I am sure that someone else will be able to chime in about that. As for the rest of the area it is easy to get around to most of the bowls, there is a large meadow to play in too. And there are usually about a thousand tracks creating a easy trail to follow up into the bowls. Still AVY terrain though so be prepared and be careful.

Jordan1924

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know the avy report cant seem to find much on it.
Thanks for all the help guys!!

Wilk INStheWEST

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know the avy report cant seem to find much on it.
Thanks for all the help guys!!
Ya, CAC doesn't seem to have any reports up yet on their website for that area. Only seems like Kananaskis has a report online. If you are with a beginner, I doubt you are going to be doing anything up in the alpine. Stick to the treeline or below, and avoid anything wind loaded. I would certainly spend some time when you get there practising with your transceivers around the cabin. I'm assuming if your wife is new to sledding, she may be new to the backcountry, so make avy safety important as well.

Reactions: LBZ

powderhoundbrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
AVY reports started today. Sign up for the daily bulletins. Hazard is high right now with lots of snow and lots of wind. Stay away from anything on the lee as windslabs are developing there with the storm snow. Treeline and below is below threshold in a lot of places. Not sure about Quartz specifically. There will be lots of stumps and rocks hiding just below the surface. Have Fun!

Purcells : Latest Bulletins : Bulletins : Canadian Avalanche Centre : avalanche.ca

Although skiing related there is really good information on the link below as well specific to the Golden area. Really good video updates every week about the local Golden and area Avy conditions. Good snow scientists doing what they do.

A Guide to Backcountry Skiing Golden BC - Journal

Last edited:

LID

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There seemed to be a lot of newbies stuck in the creek when you bust out of the trees up to the right past the cabin last Saturday. One would get pulled out, another in. "Anybody have a saw"
Teach them about fall lines. Until it fills in, down goes into the creek.

Shadam

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yes I was that guy with the saw ...
a drank a beer and watched ...

quartz is possibly the best place for beginners in this area.
there is every chance she can get to the ridge line on her first day.
but is she out-doorsy person who thrives in the cold.

hope it all goes well, and let us know with some pic's and a story

Top Bottom