Quality of Amp Running Boards ??????

tnichols10

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am looking into getting some Amp Running boards for my truck, but questioning the quality of the product. I have seen the informational videos and the spec sheets of what they can support, however I am curious as to how well the joints hold up to ice, snow build up, dirt, dust, gravel, etc. and how well they perform when they are covered in all the stuff listed above. I am also curious to know if they open or close slowly in extreme cold, or if they open up, will they be able to close again? If any one has any information on these boards, or has them on their vehicle and can speak from experience, any input is appreciated. Thank you very much.

Sincerly,

Travis

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have had them since about march. The only I had was a couple weeks ago. One of the boards wasn't going fully up. Only had about another inch to go. The truck had not been washed in a month I went to wash it and washed the boards in the down position. I didn't lube them and it was getting colder out. I did a service on the truck and while doing so I sprayed the pivots and the one that was sticking started working again. I bought them from Cap-it in the west end as they were 100-150 dollars cheaper then everyone else. I have a brand new set for a jeep tj that I cant use and am selling if anyone wants a set.

347strokin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had a buddy that ran them for 4 years on a Duramax with no probs. Another friend had 2 years on a Tundra with them no issues.

I'm on my 3rd year on a lifted truck running these boards. Love them. The only issues I've had are when I wash the truck and park it overnight in -25 temps. The boards will sometimes not want to go back up until you help them with your foot a few times. Then they're good as new again.

Slush and frozen snow or even gravel are not an issue with these boards. I've never even had to brush or wipe snow or ice from the boards in the time I've had them.

A lot of the time, if you are having issues with these boards, they need a fine tune alignment or they won't work properly. These boards are pricey but worth it in my opinion.

2kDoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had a buddy that ran them for 4 years on a Duramax with no probs. Another friend had 2 years on a Tundra with them no issues.

I'm on my 3rd year on a lifted truck running these boards. Love them. The only issues I've had are when I wash the truck and park it overnight in -25 temps. The boards will sometimes not want to go back up until you help them with your foot a few times. Then they're good as new again.

Slush and frozen snow or even gravel are not an issue with these boards. I've never even had to brush or wipe snow or ice from the boards in the time I've had them.

A lot of the time, if you are having issues with these boards, they need a fine tune alignment or they won't work properly. These boards are pricey but worth it in my opinion.

i have the complete opposite to say about mine haha. It's one of those love or hate them things I think.

Colten K

Reaction score
just bought a set for my 2010 Dodge Ram 2500, installed them my self, which was super easy. They both worked great for about a week then the driver side stopped going up all the way. It would go up half way and stop. I emailed Amp Research support, they gave me some adjustments to make which i did and it worked for about a day now its back to the same thing. I'm sure its something minor. When they work they are awesome and look good. I bought mine from JB's on the west end. was the cheapest i could find, but i never checked "Cap it" like stated above.

cs5

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have had mine for 7 years now on my 05 and they work perfect, just have to keep the pivots sprayed with wd40 after each wash. Sometimes they don't go up all the way if you have a bunch of mud or snow on them because the sensor that prevents them from putting too much force on your kids arm or leg if it gets in there thinks there is an obstruction and just shuts them down. Clean them off and away they go. I know how hard I am on mine and I am shocked at the quality of the product, I have literally never done a thing to mine but spray them with wd40. Maybe I just got lucky.

Boobage

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I bought a set for my wifes jeep wrangler. They sucked. Noisy, they need constant adjustment, constant lubrication and then they look bad because they always have lube on them. They were on less than a year and a motor finally seized and my wife only puts on 10000 km/year and it is kept in a garage. Got motor replaced no problem which was good but i just took them off and they'll be going on kijiji soon. I am curious what a motor would've cost if i wasn't under warranty.
I'm glad i held off installing the LED lights that came with the boards. They wanted you to drill a hole in the body that would have been an ugly, rusty mess with time.
So, in the end, if you want something that needs constant Fkin with then I say get a set.

Last edited:

Boostmonkey

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have them on my last 3 trucks and I love them. Every truck I get, these are the one of the very first things I add. I work in the patch run lifted trucks in deep mud and snow all the time, only time I ever had them not work was one of those winter days that hit like -1 and I was driving in lots of slush and than the next day was -30 and I almost ripped my doorhandle off because it was frozen also, can't fault the running boards for that. I ready like the new ones with the LED lights.

BM

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I love the idea but the reality in this country they suck.
The ice and road salt and rocks are hard on them. 2 years and the set one guy I work with has are F'd. He just pulled the fuse on them and leaves them up now cause every time they open something fails on them.

2kDoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have had mine for 7 years now on my 05 and they work perfect, just have to keep the pivots sprayed with wd40 after each wash. Sometimes they don't go up all the way if you have a bunch of mud or snow on them because the sensor that prevents them from putting too much force on your kids arm or leg if it gets in there thinks there is an obstruction and just shuts them down. Clean them off and away they go. I know how hard I am on mine and I am shocked at the quality of the product, I have literally never done a thing to mine but spray them with wd40. Maybe I just got lucky.

DO NOT USE WD40. AMP SAYS SPECIFICALLY DO NOT USED WD40 IT WILL DRY OUT EVERYTHING FAST. USE SILICONE SPRAY, NOT WD40 lol
Serious haha, call amp they'll tell ya not to use

white6

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Had them on my last truck and have them on my current truck. Plus my brother has had them on his trucks. LOVE these things. They work awesome. Minimal issues. There first gen of LED lighting had some issues, they know that and will replace them warranty for you. I usually lube them coming into winter and mid way through winter. As yes sometimes they start to stick, if u assist them with your foot or hand until u can lube them they wil still work. I have never had them NOT come down either. If they wont go up, it is likely because the arm is seizing (so lube it) or its sensor for resistance is tripped. which is actually a nice feature so that you dont burn out your motors. User friendly easy install and the handiest steps i have ever seen or had. Love them i would highly recommend getting them.

Top Bottom