quads

Med1ogre

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That fact that it is groomed, has only sled tracks and no big ruts from quads running up and down it should be far more obvious than the signage on the trees or posts. You do not mistake a sled trail for a quad trail. And within 50 ft when you sink up to the axles and leave big ruts you realize you are destroying a perfect sled trail. There is only one explanation for anyone continuing beyond that point - they simply don't care who will use the trail after them.

If it was paved, had a posted speed limit, and had lines painted in yellow and white, you would assume its a __parking lot leading to a trail system__. Not hard to fill in the blank, unless you are saying that quadders can't figure it out.

Your assuming people know or should know the difference, they just see a trail system. I didn't until i started browsing forums regularly looking for people and places to ride. How are people supposed to know if they haven't been told?
I guess what bothers me most is the OP post about slashing the offenders tires and breaking his orbital bone. Ya it was a rant but it made wanna post my thoughts.
Its about education and etiquette. And now i have bad trail cred:(
My 2cents im out

2 RIDGEBACKS

Reaction score
We were out riding this weekend and of course some a-holes had to take their quads down the trails in my area!!They are probably lucky they were gone before we caught up to them because it would be really hard to fix four flat tires and a broken eye socket out on the trails!!!The trails would probably been ok for another 2 weeks but now with the ruts I'm guessing they'll be done next week!!And it's hard on my kids learning to ride in ruts that were probably a foot deep right down the middle of the trail!!These a-holes want to show how awesome their quads are drive beside the trail in the snow thats 2 and half feet deep!!Oh thats right ......they can't!!!!!They probably don't even have trail passes for my area......I buy four every year!!!!!!I volenteer my time to keep supplies and fire wood at the one cabin then when the last couple of family rides these dicks come in and wreck it for everyone!!!!Maybe if they would use common sense and realize if your cutting ruts as soon as your leave the truck or you can't drive through the grader bank it might be a little too early in the season for quads!!!Smartest part of these dicks obviously ran down their dad's leg!!!!:realmad:
fawking whineing farmers,too much rain,too little rain,too much snow ,not enough snow,too windy,wrong type of rain,too many geese,deer,gophers,bear ch!t your never fawking happy about anything:rolleyes:

MATTIAC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Before I could ever afford a sled I ran my quads year round. Studded up the tires and rode. There was never such thing as a sled only trail and not a groomed to be found within a few hundred km. The trails were hard packed enough to keep on top the biggest problems were the ruts or whoompes the sleds made. MAde for a terrible quad ride. Some people don't realize there is sled only groomer trails and not everyone can afford a sled. Each person is diferent and not everyone is out there to tear everything up and piss everyone else off. No diferent then the hundreds of sledders who go up to boulder and stop every few corners Of The trail and are forced to peg it off the line leaving a 160hp 16" wide crater in the snow instead of accelerating normally and not wrecking the groomed trail. Just saying

Last edited:

hadster

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately you are right about the legality of quadders using snowmobile trails. The problem is that snowmobile clubs put a lot of time and money into making and maintaining these trails only to have someone tear them up with little regard for others who want to enjoy the trails. Previously you said that the snowmobiles should ride to the side. Do you know how hard that is to do when the trail is only a few feet wide with ruts down the middle of it? Throw in a kid as a passenger and it is almost impossible. Sleds and quads do not mix on trails even in the winter when it is frozen. As soon as there is any kind of hill the quads chew it down to the dirt and leave ruts as deep as the snow. Just go to Chambers Creek around Rocky in the winter time and see how great the riding is on quad tracks or if you are foolhardy enough try Maclean Creek west of Calgary.
I hope the ASA starts lobbying the government for those time restrictions you mention because I don't believe it will happen by itself.
We all know the time, work & money that snowmobile clubs put it, pretty much the same as quad clubs that do the same (snowmoblies use quad club trails all the time without joining the club & paying dues).
I know what you are talking about the ruts, i ride sleds as well (sort of like when the snowmoblies stop for beer and upon take off make sure they are full throttle to leave the huge pile in the groomed trail,why don't you bitch about that as well? )
Never said snowmobiles should ride on the side (only in this case, season almost over and trail rutted up, the first sled makes a new track and kids & all others can follow). That's what our group does when out sledding and find a rutted trail that we want to use, we have never found the need to complain about it, especially at this time of year!!
Yes we where just sledding out at Chambers creek recently and the trails did have ruts in them, but still found them easily ridable, just not as nice as a smooth trail.
As long as the trails are hard packed frozen and no one spins out (quads AND sleds) why can they not be together on the trail at the same time?? Yes you will probably say a quad cannot ride the trail without spinning out (they can if they are carefull).
We are all in the same sport here and really should not be bickering, that just helps the guys that want us ALL shut down.

kidder17

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In Saskatchewan it is a law that it is illiegal to operate ATV's on any registered trail with the Saskatchewan snowmobile Association(SSA). Now of course in the non-winter months ATV's operate on these same trails. Unfortunetly there is a chit pile of environmental damage done because of the ATV's. It also makes early season snowmobile grooming very difficult. This is a very tricky topic as most of us do snowmobile and ATV both. I am by no means an enviromental nazi but I do question the damage caused by bikes. Take St.Walburg for example, this is by far one of the biggest ATV rallies in western Canada (some years 800+bikes). This rally has taken what was nice forest area(crown land) and basically torn the chit out of it. There is not a pipe line or muskeg that is not fawked now because of the rallies. The majority of it is impassable unless riding the big mud bikes and where their trails do come up to these muskegs the trails just keep getting wider and wider as they are chewed out so bad. SERM the last two years has been keeping close tabs of the enviromental effects of these rallies and I am sure that big changes are coming down the road in regards the ATV regulations and rallies.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
Been quadding a lot longer than I've been sledding, and as much as I love it the environmental impact is undeniable, especially now with the increased volume of users...

Bruderhiem/Redwater is a good area and with it's mainly sand base it tends to stay useable... rains tend to smooth out the ruts ect... unfortunately some of the people who operate the machines have a complete disrespect for safety the evironment and the local residents.

Hells 1/2 acre has become impassible to stock machines in a lot of places, and this is recent, I've only lived at my current place for 4 years and it has deteriorated very much in those 4 years.... I think it would be awesom to allow quads onto the sled trails and if they were operated off to one side and properly it would be doable but unfortunately that would never happen.

I've ridden the snow angles trails before I had a sled on my quad (sorry Glen) but it would have been very difficult to even tell we had been there...

Slash8

Reaction score
Every time I come into this forum I check to see what's going on in Ministik and it's the same damn thing, a bunch of people bitching about guys on quads and that's where it ends, at the stroke of the keyboard. The only sign I've read for limitations on machines in the staging areas says "Off Highway Vehicles" so that pretty much sums it up according to the Alberta Government. You can do all the crying and boo hooing you want, until that sign says "SNOWMOBILES ONLY" your hooped. But on that note I'd bet if the arguing and complaining don't stop and people don't find a way to coexist if you will, it might be hovercraft only. My guess then would be somoene freaking out because it was too windy. Just so you know I have only rode my sled in there, I don't have a pass either, for the one time I go there every three years I don't need one and can't justify paying for either, it's not like it's punishable law and who would punish me any way the ASA, yeah right. I'm quaking in my boots over that one, Maybe or some pissed off farmer with as sappy attitude who would rater settle things with a pitch fork and his fists then to use his brains, We'd have a grand old time in court if that were the case but it's his time and money, remember ELMER it says OHV. If I see a quad, I don't really care either way, they are out there to have fun just like everybody else. A chewed up trail is par for the course, BECAUSE NO ONE HAS DONE ANYTHING ABOUT IT! Ministik is within a cluster of rural communities so quads are, unfortunatly for the whiners and complainers, inevetable. If you want snowmobiles only, go to the mountains. If you want something done about quads in ministik, do something about it. There's an old saying that goes 10% of life is what happens to you along the way and the other 90% is how you deal with. I'll bet next year some else will be back on this forum freaking out and pounding their chest about them cursed quad riders but will have done absolutly nothing about it. I'll be in the mountains.

barleyfarmer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Every time I come into this forum I check to see what's going on in Ministik and it's the same damn thing, a bunch of people bitching about guys on quads and that's where it ends, at the stroke of the keyboard. The only sign I've read for limitations on machines in the staging areas says "Off Highway Vehicles" so that pretty much sums it up according to the Alberta Government. You can do all the crying and boo hooing you want, until that sign says "SNOWMOBILES ONLY" your hooped. But on that note I'd bet if the arguing and complaining don't stop and people don't find a way to coexist if you will, it might be hovercraft only. My guess then would be somoene freaking out because it was too windy. Just so you know I have only rode my sled in there, I don't have a pass either, for the one time I go there every three years I don't need one and can't justify paying for either, it's not like it's punishable law and who would punish me any way the ASA, yeah right. I'm quaking in my boots over that one, Maybe or some pissed off farmer with as sappy attitude who would rater settle things with a pitch fork and his fists then to use his brains, We'd have a grand old time in court if that were the case but it's his time and money, remember ELMER it says OHV. If I see a quad, I don't really care either way, they are out there to have fun just like everybody else. A chewed up trail is par for the course, BECAUSE NO ONE HAS DONE ANYTHING ABOUT IT! Ministik is within a cluster of rural communities so quads are, unfortunatly for the whiners and complainers, inevetable. If you want snowmobiles only, go to the mountains. If you want something done about quads in ministik, do something about it. There's an old saying that goes 10% of life is what happens to you along the way and the other 90% is how you deal with. I'll bet next year some else will be back on this forum freaking out and pounding their chest about them cursed quad riders but will have done absolutly nothing about it. I'll be in the mountains.

Should probably change your attitude about whiney farmers or buying a trail pass!Maybe be a little more informed about the trespass act changes that are in place because alot of whiney farmers with big sleds have been catching dicks with your attitude on their property and $2500 fines have been changing attitudes!!But let me guess you make so much money that you can afford to be so knowledgable!!Guys like you cause grief for sled clubs all over trying to do things the right way buy getting trail permission and such!!Do you realize that the trail pass you get has insurance coverage for anything that happens on that trail!!!Buying a trail pass kinda gives you the right to have an input on any asa trail but if your such a rebel why buy a trail pass in the mountains!!And I probably pay alot more land taxes than you so pretty sure me and my whiney farmer buddies have alot more pull with the local goverment and our sled club than some cheap(I don't buy a trail pass)dick with a couple of uninformed blabs on this thread!!

Slash8

Reaction score
Barley Farmer I'd be embarased to be in a club with someone shooting off at the mouth like you. Maybe you should charge more for club fees then you could hire a full time crew to groom trails. Maybe then you'd have a post about what a great time you had on the weekend instead of making go no where threats about slashing tires and breaking eye sockets. Is that a club perk? Do you get a big knife and brass knuckles with every membership to deal with trespassers. Have you cleared those smash and pummel tactics with the RCMP or are you just going to wing it there numb nuts? Do you think it would be advisable for all non members to carry bats just to fend of a blood thirst farmer who would rather wreck your equipment and break bones because he can't handle things like a big boy. I could see the head lines now, "Neanderthal Farmer Kills Trespasser for not buying Pass" Jesus I sure hope your kids didn't have to hear any of that garbage while you were out on the trail. And you say I have a bad attitude and that It's guys like me that give clubs a bad name, ha, ha, ha Listen to your self before you pass judgement on anyone else moron. If you and all your hay seed buddies have all this input and pull..... hell lets call it "tractor pull", (that was sarcasm, did you catch it?) how come quads are still on the trails? Maybe if you huff and puff a little harder you might get somewhere. I'll bet if you go pounding the ch!t out of trespassers and damaging their property that will get you somewhere as well. What club did you say you were you with again?

barleyfarmer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Barley Brain, Id be embarased to be in a club with someone shooting off at the mouth like you. Maybe you should charge more for club fees then you could hire a full time crew to groom trails. Maybe then you'd have a post about what a great time you had on the weekend instead of making go no where threats about slashing tires and breaking eye sockets. Is that a club perk? D you get a big knife and brass knuckles with every membership to deal with trespassers. Have you cleared those smash and pummel tactics with the RCMP or are you just going to wing it there numb nuts? And you say I have a bad attitude. If you and all your hay seed buddies have all this input and pull, hell lets call it "tractor pull", (sarcasm, did you catch it?) how come quads are still on the trails? Maybe if you huff and puff a little harder you might get somewhere. I'll bet if you go pounding the ch!t out of trespassers and damaging their property that will get you somewhere as well. What club were you with again?

I see by the time of your response your parents must have let you stay up late last night!!Judging by the name calling and some of your arguments I guess your a child of some sort!!You proved one my earlier points that the guys that do most of the complaining about the trails don't have trail passes!!My point about quads 'Numb Nuts' was maybe use some common sense when the season is winding down and guys are still sledding maybe wait a week or go on trails that the sleds can't use instead of 2 guys wrecking for a bunch of people on the main sled trail!!Also if you were so bold to go to a meeting, oh thats right you might see how many people vollenteer their time to keep the trails clear of trees and other hazards on the trails you might actually see that buying a pass isn't a bad thing!Also if a club charged higher fees to have a full time groomer it wouldn't stop ignorant guys like you using the trail!!If you hadn't noticed in bc when you pay for a trail pass,there is guy sitting at the trail head letting you in,I guess here the clubs are putting to much faith in people to either join a club and contribute to the sport!Guys like you is the reason why areas get shut down in the winter and summer so maybe join a club so what you say about a trail might actually mean something instead of riding on asa trails that other people did all the work to get opened!If you actally worked on improving a trail system(free of charge)your fuse might be a little short too when some guys come in and ruin it for alot of people then laugh about it!!So I hope your parents can keep affording to send you to bc sledding so you can stay off theclub trails here!!You never know us hayseeds might be out chewing up a trail near you having a tractor pull!!!Have a nice day at school junior!!.....Oh wait its Saturday maybe gets some money from your mom and save up for asa trail pass for next year so what you have to say might have a little weight!!!:d

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah and I'll bet your still not going to do anything about it.

Well I think he was trying to do something about it by starting this thread. Yeah, he sounds a bit aggressive, but we can try to understand, cause he has a gog in this fight. You on the other hand.....sound like a total knob who, when he rightfully gets his a$$ kicked for good reason, wil be anothe r whiner running to the lawyers . have fun in the mountains, hope I don't see ya.

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
Where/when is the tractor pull?

Sent from my Milestone using Tapatalk

britt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree something has to be done about quads on designated sled trails. The snowmobile clubs (under the ASA) put alot of time and sweat equity into maintaining sled trails, it is very frustrating to see this hard work get chewed up in one weekend. ASA needs to step up to the plate and start lobbying the Govt about this problem. SRD is aware of the problem (alot of Alberta's sled trails are on SRD controled land) and they would like to deal with it but their hands are tied. One solution four feet of snow!!!

Britt

hadster

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
barleyfarmer, just wondering is the trail you speak about on any private lands or is it on crown land?? If it is on any private lands is there signage at the trail entrance letting people know it will enter private property????

kidder17

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'll be out there next year on my quad, why...... because I can. See you on the trail numb nuts.

Man, are you a piece of work! The world can do without azzhats like you. Its a person like you that totally un does a lot of hard volunteer work to promote and advance snowmobiling AND Atv'ing for us all. It would not hurt my feelings for you to take your "the world owes me a favour attitude" and fawk off! This site can do without people like you and your useless dribble.

Last edited:
Top Bottom