Pull start not engaging?

nielsy

Reaction score
buy the recoil assy it will save you a lot of headache I have seen a few times where the clip went in and ruined the stator even had to change a flywheel once

summitstef

Reaction score
Down an ole dirt road in a town you wouldn't know
set of metric allan wrenches should be all you need, maybe a spring puller to take the can off.

The recoil assembly is fastened to the case with 4 TORX Screws. The bottom two on the recoil assembly are easily accessible, but the top two are a pain in the krunt to remove. I replaced my recoil starter last night on my '06 Rev and wound up using a cordless drill with a uni-drill bit to make two access holes in the side support to remove the two top screws. You will see this once you remove the can. Make sure you bring along a flashlight, cordless drill, 1/4" drive socket with a long extension and a Torx bit set with a socket adapter and a long pair of needle nose pliers to grab any screws that are accidentally dropped below the engine. It took me 30 minutes to replace mine last night in the shop. The recoil cover has numbers on each ridge to line it up correctly on the case. MAKE SURE you realign it correctly otherwise you will have problems. Good luck!

Chuckt5

Reaction score
How did you end up using the drill and unibit? I'm not getting it.

Chuckt5

Reaction score
I guess I should have read more closely the first time. So you drilled out two access holes for the top screws then. Were there any holes existing already that you just enlarged, or did you have add them?

summitstef

Reaction score
Down an ole dirt road in a town you wouldn't know
I had to drill two new holes in the side support as just using the torx bit with a 1/4" wrench was a royal PITA!! The only two existing holes were for the two bottom screws which are easy and you do not have to enlarge them, but access for the top two screws just plain suck!!

Chuckt5

Reaction score
Thanks for the clarification. How did you make sure the top holes were lined up with the screws. Did you just eye ball it?

Chuckt5

Reaction score
Thanks. It's hard to picture with my sled up at the cabin.

I'll take a drill and unibit up with me though to make it easier.

KevinA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
buy the recoil assy it will save you a lot of headache I have seen a few times where the clip went in and ruined the stator even had to change a flywheel once

I will second that motion. bought a new recoil aswell for my 06... just keep an eye on those bolts as they like to come loose. I check mine periodicly to make sure.

goldtip

Reaction score
Did you get this fixed yet? I just replaced mine on my 07 800r, switched out the entire recoil assembly and put in the assembly for a RT 1000 instead. All metal parts inside, about $30 more expensive than the stocker, but don't have that little POS piece of plastic for a dawg to break off.

Top Bottom