Pull start jerk

mcnamash

Reaction score
Every so often when I pull the start rope, it jerks back and just about rips my arm out of the shoulder. What is causing this?

kootenaycat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Every so often when I pull the start rope, it jerks back and just about rips my arm out of the shoulder. What is causing this?

Well if it didn't do this, it would probably be really hard to start, it's called compression! :D

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What machine to you have, because some machines have a decompression pin built into the cam or it's hard to start. Also on some there is a decompression lever you can trip when you have to pull start it.

mxz sledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
real cold start this happening usually pull right out of your hand my 800
as like that specially on a open deck going down highway at -20 it got a little stiff

Big Jon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If the engine lights off while you're pulling it can push the piston back before it hits tdc and try and pull the cord out of your hands. Why are you pulling it?

RZR101

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If the engine lights off while you're pulling it can push the piston back before it hits tdc and try and pull the cord out of your hands. Why are you pulling it?

battery bad! nothin else said!
if you have to pull you must own a kawisooki. forgive me lord of mud for i speek the truth.

mcnamash

Reaction score
The battery was dead, I don't really need it so wasn't too rushed to replace it. I've heard the timing is of.

leonard

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
not sure how long you have been around bikes but ill give you a bit of simple advice when pull starting.

pull the handle till you feel the piston get tight and just about to go loose. now when you pull this thing.. pull it like your gonna yank the rope off the pull start. and walla it will typically fire right up and spin over fast enough you wont get kick back.

only really 2 ways to get kick back.
1. trying to pull off the compression stroke.
2. pulling too slow/weakly and the cyl is going to rip the cord out of your fingers.

GL

lbartels

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Regardless of the machine. It is likely that when the dogs engage the flywheel the motor is on the way to the compression stroke.

Top Bottom