Public service announcement

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Time to change your batteries in your smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors.
Did you know Carbon Monoxide detectors only have a 5-7 year life span?

That will be all........

Add to that, if the smoke detectors are 10 years old it is time to change the detector and not just the batteries.

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am guilty of nor checking often enough... I was woke up at 3:00 Am this morning to a chirping. Wife says go make that stop. So I go and take the smoke alarm down and pull the battery out. It's still chirping?? (I'm still half a sleep)... So I put another battery in , still chirping.... thinking WTF??? So i said screw this I'll deal with this in the morning and chucked it in the kitchen pantry. On my way down the stairs I hear CHIRP! I'm thinking that was WAY to loud to be coming from the pantry. Then I figure out its the Carbon Monoxide detector.... So I go to replace the battery in it and it's showing an ERROR on the display. Again said the heck with this and yanked the battery out. I looked up the error today and it said to call the manufacturer (it included a #) which I did. Basically he said the thing is programmed to quit after a set amount of time so it forces you to go buy a new one.

So I thought I would make a quick thread to make sure my fellow S&M members didn't have to go through what I did at 3:00 AM ;-)

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just picked up a case of Kiddie Smoke detector/carbon monoxide. It has a tag on the side replace in 2024.

As part of gifts to clients Val gives them detectors and a fire ext.

We see a lot of outdated detectors in homes. Or detectors hanging down with no batteries.

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just picked up a case of Kiddie Smoke detector/carbon monoxide. It has a tag on the side replace in 2024.

As part of gifts to clients Val gives them detectors and a fire ext.

We see a lot of outdated detectors in homes. Or detectors hanging down with no batteries.

Because of your post I looked into CO (Carbon Monoxide). I was curious about the combo unit you were giving as gifts.... My first thought was why is my C0 units plugged into the wall socket and these combo units on the celings. Is C0 heavier or lighter than air??

A quick search found C0 is slightly lighter than air and diffuses with air. So knowing this I will be chucking the wall socket ones in that garbage and updating to the combo units that go on the ceiling!

Thanks Arff!!!

Edit...What I found....

There's a myth that all carbon monoxide alarms should be installed lower on the wall because carbon monoxide is heavier than air. In fact, carbon monoxide is slightly lighter than air and diffuses evenly throughout the room.

Last edited:

teamgreen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with the plug in style, as long as they have good batteries and arent older than ten years. Lots of people have them start to chirp and call the fire department, first question is when was it tested last, if they cant answer its usually really old and has dead batteries.

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with the plug in style, as long as they have good batteries and arent older than ten years. Lots of people have them start to chirp and call the fire department, first question is when was it tested last, if they cant answer its usually really old and has dead batteries.

You missed call Fire Department during supper or 3 am.

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422072053.220520.jpg

camoJoe

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
have the same combo detectors in the house, (Kidde) they are all wired together with 3way wiring and will go off on every floor, pretty cool , tested them out.

Top Bottom