Pro vs E-tec

turboassault

Reaction score
Has anyone had any experience with the pro going head to head with an E-tec. Just wondering how close they are which one climbs and handles better in the mountains. Please list any mods that are done to the sleds and your experiences.

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have the 2011 etec with clutch clickers and an mbrp can other than that its stock and the thing works amazing I have rode with the polaris last year and it seemed to keep up real well even with my clicker set on 5 of 7 I was only half a sled in front of him up a hill it was actually quite suprising how close it was I heard that the new doo is more potent this year in the power side so the power will be better on the doo but In my opinion I like the handling on the new rmk I love the etec's new handling and front end stance but the pro edges it out just slightly for handling but for power the doo is the leader

007sevens

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have the 2011 Polaris, I can do Heel clickers, with an mbrp can other than that its stock and the thing works amazing I have rode with the E-Tech last year and it seemed to keep up real well even while I was doing heel clickers. I was only half a sled in front of him up a hill it was actually quite surprising how close it was I heard that the new Poo is more potent this year in the power side so the power will be better on the Poo but In my opinion I like the handling on the new rmk I love the etec's new handling and front end stance but the pro edges it out just slightly for handling but for power the Poo is the leader

Fix it for ya.

kyle019

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

cant beat the technology on the etec engine but polaris has the best PURE mountain sled on the market. literally every magazine shoot out ive read says so and i totally agree, people say they are underpowered but they rip through the powder like nothin and are so light and nimble. very awesome sleds!

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
pretty sure both options are a solid choice,,,

some is prefrance,, the doo is a few bucks more but also has a bit better re sale,, doo has 3 year warranty this year,, The Pro is only on its second year so newer styling and will be curent for 3 more years,,

buy both and let us know!!! this weekend I will have my e-tec and a buddy has a new Pro I will give my honest opinion after this weekend I am curious too

MATTIAC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I did a few small climbs against a 11 pro on my 11 etec, i pulled on him everytime. sidehilling and boondocking seem to be a little easier on the pro for people who dont know how to ride an XP chasis, but when you know how to ride both, i think most will pick the etec

cs5

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have no idea how you guys ride that doo, I know some of you can because I have seen it but I hate it with a passion. I love the technology that doo puts into it's motors but I am sure Polaris will answer with it's own DI motor very soon and the pro is solid now I can't imagine it with another 15 or 20 hp stock it would be very hard to complain at that point. If you can ride the chassis and you like the doo then ride it but you can't knock the Pro at all, underpowered has not been an issue for me and I am 240lbs in my birthday suit. I have been riding in the mountains for 25 years and I have NEVER had as much pure fun as I did last year on my PRO hands down. I keep trying the doo but I would rather wrestle with a grizzly bear for 2 hrs than ride that chassis for 15 min they both use up about as much energy lol.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have no idea how you guys ride that doo, I know some of you can because I have seen it but I hate it with a passion. I love the technology that doo puts into it's motors but I am sure Polaris will answer with it's own DI motor very soon and the pro is solid now I can't imagine it with another 15 or 20 hp stock it would be very hard to complain at that point. If you can ride the chassis and you like the doo then ride it but you can't knock the Pro at all, underpowered has not been an issue for me and I am 240lbs in my birthday suit. I have been riding in the mountains for 25 years and I have NEVER had as much pure fun as I did last year on my PRO hands down. I keep trying the doo but I would rather wrestle with a grizzly bear for 2 hrs than ride that chassis for 15 min they both use up about as much energy lol.[/QUOTE

Whats a 240 lb guy doing riding a sled in his birthday suit? LOL.

cs5

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If I suit up I need a turbo lol. I'm easier to spot that way too :)

chrishew

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Really I think it comes down to personal preference, both machines have good and bad points.
I completely agree. I rode a e-tec for one day last spring and that sled rocked. I've always been a Polaris guy and the short rip I took on a pro last year pretty much sealed the deal for that to be my next purchase but I'll need to ride them back to back to make my decision. Polaris handling just felt natural to me and seemed to respond very well, where as I felt a little awkward at first on the ski-doo but throughout the day my confidence grew and by the end had no problem threading it through the trees. The Doo is just a different riding style then the Polaris as all the magazine comparisons point out whatever you've ridden in the past is probably what you'll find handles better for you now. That e-tec engine though "Oh my God" seemless power and pulls extremely hard could not believe what it would climb up, that would be what could sway me Ski-doos way. In the end both are very capable machines and I think in the right hands either one could edge the other.

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ya both are great choices of sleds thats forsure! I found the tec quite easy to handle I just came off an m7 at that point then hoped on the new eteec and loved the new narrow stance. Hoped on the pro a few times and loved the feel of that sled to and yeah really nice power even though they say underrated I thought it did quite well.

j335

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Most would agree hillclimb would go to the Etec and handling to Poo.

Snowest compared all 2011's and if I remember right the etec was slightly ahead on the hillclimb segment, like half a sled length. The 2012's etecs have a few upgrades, I'm sure that will push it ahead a more. Frankly riding isn't always about hillclimbing though.

Try riding both sleds and decide for yourself. For myself the reviews of the sleds and the ability to save $2000 are the reason I went with the Pro RMK.

• Thanks
Reactions: cs5

turboassault

Reaction score
Thanks guys, i love to hear what everyone thinks about the two machines. I have already purchased a 2012 Pro 800 put a three inch 162 under it, power addiction head, and hps silencer. So you guys know what i riding. Everyone who has rode the Pro absolutely loves it and the power has not seemed to be an issue. If it is that is easily solved with a turbo. Maybe next year!! Keep it coming i want to hear some more stories from the mountains.

500efisks

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Makes me chuckle when people say the Poo is underpowered. Let's put it in perspective. All 800 2 strokers put out excellent power (Poo is lowest at 154 with Etec and Cat at about 163 hp) Difference of 9 hp . Works out to about 6% more. Poo has the better drive train we all know and lighter sleds. So when you do the HP to the ground calculation there is not much difference. It takes significant amounts of HP to make a small difference in performance on snow. Underpowered:confused:, hello.

Top Bottom