PRO RMK Dies On The Trail - HELP!

rugbynitro

Reaction score
Hopefully you guys can come up with some idea what the problem is. Posting this question on a few forums.

I'm running a stock 2012 Pro RMK 163 with 2500 kilometers. Running strong all morning at 6500 feet. Only difference today is that it was between -15c to -20c which is my coldest ride of the year. Running Chevron Supreme 94 octane since day one and using the non-ethanol plug.

Playing in the powder no problems at all for about two hours and around noon start riding to the cabin on the trail and the sled just died. Tried to pull it over a few times and nothing. Gave it five minutes and then it fired up for no more that 3-4 seconds and won't hold idle. 5 minutes later the same. Changed the plugs. Old ones look good (light grey) but dry.

It gets better! Start getting towed down the trail and pulling the recoil while moving and she fires up in the following seconds sequence 3, 8, 15, before dieing each time. While being towed again I try it a 4th time and it finally holds idle and runs strong up the trail for 25 minutes. When going up the trail she dies again just like the first time and we start it again by towing it just like the first time. I head for the truck. Just before loading it on the trailer it can't be restarted until we keep trying for 20 minutes.

Every time the engine died it was like I had just hit the kill switch. There was no stumble or hesitation before the engine died. It's got fresh gas from the station I always get it from and never had problems before. Bummed that it happened on one of the best rides of the year. What could it be and what can I do? Thanks I really appreciate it.

Polaristar warranty is not much help with this problem.....sadly :(

Luvinit

Reaction score
If your plugs are dry I,d start with the fuel system, press the schrader valve in the test port should spray out gas. Check all fuel pump connections, has your filter ever been changed. Put it in a warm shop, if it starts and runs could be moisture buildup in the tank.

dpolacik

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Also check behind your oil tank.Had five last year acted the same and it was a pinched wire between the oil tank and bodywork.

rydemx

Reaction score
My 12' did the exact same thing a few rides ago . It would kill the engine like I had hit the kill switch . The check engine light would come on when it did this . Does your engine light come on at all? It was really cold the day mine acted up and it turned out to be my throttle safety switch because my throttle cable was frozen and hanging up inside the cable . I fixed the problem by lubing the cable with tri-flow. Do you have the ultra low windshield like mine , dealer told me that's why the ugly hand guards came with the low windshields , to keep the snow out of the throttle block . I would also check your tps base setting if it hasn't been set in a while, and di-electric grease the plug in! My tps connector got water in it last ride and ran like sh*t . I built my own 5volt power supply to check my tps since like you say Polaris warranty is a joke !! Have fun

Dazzler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sounds like maybe moisture in your fuel... try a little isopropel, not methanol!!!

bayman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know of at least 3 that I ride with that replaced the TPS. I'd check that, but their sleds didn't have your symptoms.

+SLEDWRECKS+

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Most likely your throttle cable safety switch got moisture in it. I've had the same issues many times which in turn would flood the sled as well. Safety switch is now under the hood taped closed as it runs on closed circuit.

I found if you unplug your fuel pump (plug is behind your ECU) fire the sled up and let it burn it's fuel off - plug back in - and would be able to ride for 10 -20 mins before it would flood itself again. At least was able to get it off the mountain the 2nd day. (as it spent the night on the hill - and came back out next morning with a brand new safety switch, and would run but not move )

rugbynitro

Reaction score
Sled runs excellent now! Pounded the powder for 5 hours and didn't miss a beat.

Thanks Dazzler, there was moisture in the fuel. :)

Fixed it with half a can of sea foam. I'll be using a little from now on.

Top Bottom