pro 600 turbo

glennk

Reaction score
Anyone running a turbo on a pro 600? And how will it perform against the 800 pro with equal boost?

Stg2Suby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forums. My guess is the 600 would have 75% of the 800 power until the 800 breaks a piston or cylinder skirt then the 600 will sail past like the 800 dropped anchor :)

Stg2Suby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Seriously I kinda thought of doing something like this. Shame the 800 has the reliability issues and one has to look for alternatives, but assuming the 600 is a strong platform (no idea) it might be pretty killer to build it turbo-specific with low base compression and lots of boost.

cnelson6

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would suggest running a carls bigbore with the turbo and it would walk all over a 800 turbo all day! Not to mention it would be reliable!

wooleybulley

Reaction score
ive been pondering this idea for ahile now myself, i think it could be a weapon if built right. some one should see this through and then ill follow if it works lol

glennk

Reaction score
The 600 is by far a more reliable motor for sure. Buying a 600 starts out about 2000-2500 cheaper to start with, so that put towards a turbo kit and it would be a all around fun machine. Love to be the underdog. Add 2 more lbs of boost it should run all day long against a 800 turbo. Will it be a king of the hill climber probably not but a 180-200 hp all around package, make a lot of sence to me. Dollar for dollar good deal with reliability.

NM

Boost It - Fuel your Boost
Reaction score
The 600 is by far a more reliable motor for sure. Buying a 600 starts out about 2000-2500 cheaper to start with, so that put towards a turbo kit and it would be a all around fun machine. Love to be the underdog. Add 2 more lbs of boost it should run all day long against a 800 turbo. Will it be a king of the hill climber probably not but a 180-200 hp all around package, make a lot of sence to me. Dollar for dollar good deal with reliability.
Turbos act as a restriction on the exhaust which in turn can make the bottom end less responsive. That and the fact that clutch weights need to be heavier to accommodate the added power.
The 600 would have less exhaust pulse which in turn may not sin the turbo as easily. You would use a slightly smaller turbo though, so that may make up for the reduced exhaust pulse.
IMO a 600T would be close to an 800T in low snow, but the added torque of the 800 would allow it to turn the track much harder in soft snow.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

To me turbocharging a 600 is like supercharging a V6 mustang, sure there is going to be a performance increase, but is it comparible enough to an 800 or V8 to make it worth the small cost difference. Assuming a $2000 price difference between a 600 and an 800 and the turbo kit is the same cost, then a new 2014 turbo 800 is in the $22000 range and a 600 turbo is in the $20000 range.

So now if we are going to make the same power, say 200hp and we need 3lbs more boost on the 600, how much more race fuel are we going to need to resist detonation? So if we need substantially more race fuel on a 600 to be equal to an 800, the cost savings begin to diminish, although the 600 should use a little less fuel so cost might be quite comparable. As for reliability I don't think there are enough boosted 600's out there yet to compare reliability between the two, and I think a boosted sled should have the top end looked at every other season at least anyway, so if I was to open it up I would put new pistons in anyway so there goes that cost difference. So to me I would think the cost of maintenance and operation would be about the same, just a little cheaper on initial purchase, but this will also show as a lower resale value on the 600.

Now this assumes that they perform the same, that the 600 spools like the 8, and has the torque for deep snow operation like the 8. None of which I believe will be the same, you can't spool up to more boost with less displacement in the same amount of time. So to me for the small cost difference, and performance difference, I would chose the 800 yet again.

glennk

Reaction score
Seriously I kinda thought of doing something like this. Shame the 800 has the reliability issues and one has to look for alternatives, but assuming the 600 is a strong platform (no idea) it might be pretty killer to build it turbo-specific with low base compression and lots of boost.

I just PM you

Top Bottom