Power engineer trade

gdhillon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, how does this program work? Is it like an apprenticeship thing where you have to do x amount of hours before completing each level? What kind of work do you guys do? I read on the college website where the jobs are but it doesn't quite tell you what you do

Is there lots of demand for them?

sledneck_03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, how does this program work? Is it like an apprenticeship thing where you have to do x amount of hours before completing each level? What kind of work do you guys do? I read on the college website where the jobs are but it doesn't quite tell you what you do

Is there lots of demand for them?

Big demand for them. You take your 4th class first then work and write your 3rd, 2nd and then first.

You basically monitor plants. You really only work when the plant has a problem.

frock

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
gdhillon as others have said it is mostly plant work which usually means shift work. Power plants, gas plants, pulp and paper all those types of plants that run boilers. You start with your 4th, the easiest way in for this is to take a course that gives you the 4th when you come out otherwise if you just write the exams on your own you need firing time (time working with a boiler/s) before the boilers branch will let you write the final exam for each level of your power engineering. Most companies are reluctant to hire someone who doesn't have at least there 4th. There are 2 papers on the 4th, 4 papers on the 3rd, 6 papers on the 2nd and 8 papers for the 1st. Also the boilers you are working with have to be of sufficient size and you have to be in a certain role of responsibility to get firing time towards your next ticket. The steam chief at the plant has to sign off on your time in order for you to write the last paper for each level. There is a demand for power engineers right now so you may have a better chance of getting in without your 4th than we used to have if you tell them you are willing to sign an agreement to work towards getting your 4th as quickly as possible, 1 year is very doable if you have the first paper wrote on the 4th and only need to study for the last paper.
Hope this helps gdhillon, the shift work isn't the greatest but we get a lot of time off with good benefits and a pretty decent wage.

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
I have a couple guys that work for me that have done the 4th yr course but cannot get boiler time at one time you could volunteer at hospitals and schools and it credit towards your time now apparently you can't do that anymore you have to have a paying job. And according to these guys no one is hiring without already having it hence why they drive truck. The guys think it is one of those jobs were they are begging for people to get into it to flood the market to drive down the wages...but they could be just unlucky

PowderStew

Reaction score
My nephew looked into doing this. You can go to NAIT take the power engieers course I think it is 3 years. You come out with your full 3rd and half your second. Lots of demand especialy in the gas business. Give NAIT a call, they have lots of info.

Absledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My nephew looked into doing this. You can go to NAIT take the power engieers course I think it is 3 years. You come out with your full 3rd and half your second. Lots of demand especialy in the gas business. Give NAIT a call, they have lots of info.

I just got out of this course last year, its two years and as long as you work hard at making sure you have your third when you get out then its pretty easy to find a decent paying job. jobs are easier to find the farther your willing to go from a city though. lots of jobs in small towns were given up by people who refused to leave the city.

prairieguy

Reaction score
The Nait course is very good option!!! Any course that they help u get ur full third and find u places for ur steam time are the only way to go!! A third class is pretty much the ticket to have to get ur foot in the door for the oil and gas industry

08arcticcat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Seems to be alot of guys with 4ths cryin for work. Most expect they will leave college and get the 150g/yr camp job and live in kelowna. Good place to get experience is the small towns in the bush, fox creek, northern bc, cold lake or the older coal fired power plants forestburg, 3hills. The 2 year program is awesome if you can finish the 3rd and get good recommendations from the teachers.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a couple guys that work for me that have done the 4th yr course but cannot get boiler time at one time you could volunteer at hospitals and schools and it credit towards your time now apparently you can't do that anymore you have to have a paying job. And according to these guys no one is hiring without already having it hence why they drive truck. The guys think it is one of those jobs were they are begging for people to get into it to flood the market to drive down the wages...but they could be just unlucky

Sounds weird to me, if they have a paper on their 4th than they are not looking hard enough or don't want to relocate.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Pinner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Does having a 4th but have never set foot in a gas plant or have any understanding of processing still make you desirable ?

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Depends on management, we have guys running around process running a unit with no ticket at all. They are contractors mind you. To get hired on as an employee yah have to have a minimum of a 4th

I'm not sure what 4yr covers but there has to be some theory on processing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

gdhillon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Big demand for them. You take your 4th class first then work and write your 3rd, 2nd and then first.

You basically monitor plants. You really only work when the plant has a problem.

So it is basically a maintenance type of position? Do they do any of the new construction or is that where gas/pipe fitters fall into place?

When the plants are union lets just say canfor pulp for an example would you be able to get in as a 4th class or in that scenario would you have to start as a laborer and wait till they promote you?

gdhillon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
gdhillon as others have said it is mostly plant work which usually means shift work. Power plants, gas plants, pulp and paper all those types of plants that run boilers. You start with your 4th, the easiest way in for this is to take a course that gives you the 4th when you come out otherwise if you just write the exams on your own you need firing time (time working with a boiler/s) before the boilers branch will let you write the final exam for each level of your power engineering. Most companies are reluctant to hire someone who doesn't have at least there 4th. There are 2 papers on the 4th, 4 papers on the 3rd, 6 papers on the 2nd and 8 papers for the 1st. Also the boilers you are working with have to be of sufficient size and you have to be in a certain role of responsibility to get firing time towards your next ticket. The steam chief at the plant has to sign off on your time in order for you to write the last paper for each level. There is a demand for power engineers right now so you may have a better chance of getting in without your 4th than we used to have if you tell them you are willing to sign an agreement to work towards getting your 4th as quickly as possible, 1 year is very doable if you have the first paper wrote on the 4th and only need to study for the last paper.
Hope this helps gdhillon, the shift work isn't the greatest but we get a lot of time off with good benefits and a pretty decent wage.

Okay so something like correspondence at BCIT wouldn't be a good idea then for the 4th?

What do you mean by papers? Are those essays or tests?

So do you think it would be a good idea for me to go to the pulp mills with a resume for a 4th level position?

Is the course material the same as say mechanical and civil engineering in terms of workload and difficulty?

Yes that did help I appreciate it, what part of northern BC are you in?......Fort St John I hear has a lot of oil and gas type work going on. What are the wages like on average?

gdhillon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

So no one is hiring 4th levels that don't have boiler time in your area, is there a lot of mills up there or is it just oil and gas?

gdhillon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info I will call them monday

gdhillon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just got out of this course last year, its two years and as long as you work hard at making sure you have your third when you get out then its pretty easy to find a decent paying job. jobs are easier to find the farther your willing to go from a city though. lots of jobs in small towns were given up by people who refused to leave the city.

How is the workload? Is it 8 hour days type deal?
Did they find you a placement in the field or did you have to do that yourself?
I am not sure what you mean by make sure you have your third when you get out, do you chose your own courses when your in the program?

gdhillon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Seems to be alot of guys with 4ths cryin for work. Most expect they will leave college and get the 150g/yr camp job and live in kelowna. Good place to get experience is the small towns in the bush, fox creek, northern bc, cold lake or the older coal fired power plants forestburg, 3hills. The 2 year program is awesome if you can finish the 3rd and get good recommendations from the teachers.

I wouldn't mind going up north in BC, I would like to stay out of Alberta for work if possible though.....the lack of mountains really throws off my mood :p.....although fort saint john is pretty flat itself.

Is there any companies you know of that work in the more remote areas I could call/email and pick their brain a bit

To get good recommendations I would assume you'd need to get an 'A' average?....I am not the smartest guy around but I do work hard at getting what I want

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
So no one is hiring 4th levels that don't have boiler time in your area, is there a lot of mills up there or is it just oil and gas?

These guys did not attend school they got the books and did it on there own. These guys are at the plants and mills everyday in person delivering product and still cannot get it without "experience". Relocation is not an issue for them most of them are coyotes anyway I did have 3 guys but 1 guy got in at some mine on the north end of Baffin island

Top Bottom