Power engineer trade

gdhillon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
These guys did not attend school they got the books and did it on there own. These guys are at the plants and mills everyday in person delivering product and still cannot get it without "experience". Relocation is not an issue for them most of them are coyotes anyway I did have 3 guys but 1 guy got in at some mine on the north end of Baffin island

O okay so they did it by correspondence then eh. They must be book savvy, I did physics 12 by correspondence last year and man that was difficult.
So the best way to get in would be to go through the schooling?

Btw how would I go about multi-quoting posts for future reference?

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So it is basically a maintenance type of position? Do they do any of the new construction or is that where gas/pipe fitters fall into place?

Speaking from the Pulp side....no, it's an operating position. Maintenance and new construction is done by tradesmen.

So do you think it would be a good idea for me to go to the pulp mills with a resume for a 4th level position?

Again, from the pulp side....if you already have a 4th, then yes. If you're looking to get into the steam plant right away with the intention of getting a 4th....it may increase your chances of at least getting an interview, but if you get hired you would be going into the mill in an entry level position until a bid position comes open, then it's generally the senior applicant that gets the job. Depending on turnover (ours is high) it could take you a while to even get started on your ticket.

Last edited:

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't mind going up north in BC, I would like to stay out of Alberta for work if possible though.....the lack of mountains really throws off my mood :p.....although fort saint john is pretty flat itself.

Is there any companies you know of that work in the more remote areas I could call/email and pick their brain a bit

To get good recommendations I would assume you'd need to get an 'A' average?....I am not the smartest guy around but I do work hard at getting what I want

Lots of gas plants, mills etc in alberta with a great view of the mtns. The foothills has very nice scenery, and only a 2-3 hours away from great riding.

So what do you actually have for a ticket? Do you have 1 paper on your 4th? Or do you have both and looking to get time signed off?

Last edited:

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Also....I've been told by the guys that have left our mill for Alberta money that once you've operated a pulp mill recovery boiler, hog fuel boiler, and a 45Mw generator, going to oil and gas is a piece of cake.....even boring. The plus side is less stress, and of course more money.

gdhillon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lots of gas plants, mills etc in alberta with a great view of the mtns. The foothills has very nice scenery, and only a 2-3 hours away from great riding.

So what do you actually have for a ticket? Do you have 1 paper on your 4th? Or do you have both and looking to get time signed off?

I have a second year electrical certificate lol, I am just pondering the idea of changing careers.

So you work in Edson? That is after Jasper, correct? What do you mean by 'paper' is that what the exams are called?

I would assume you ride McBride and Valemont?

Last edited:

gdhillon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Also....I've been told by the guys that have left our mill for Alberta money that once you've operated a pulp mill recovery boiler, hog fuel boiler, and a 45Mw generator, going to oil and gas is a piece of cake.....even boring. The plus side is less stress, and of course more money.

I see, so I was thinking of doing fourth level either in Prince or Quesnel and then moving where work is. I like the idea of going to NAIT and getting 3rd level done but I do not really want to move for school. I talked to a guy today that use to work at the pulp mill in town as a fourth level. He has since moved to AB, he suggested I do 4th at school and then the rest on my own. But at the same time he said employers like to hire 3rd or 2nd level guys over 4th....which makes me want to do the 2 years at NAIT

I think I'll call the pulp mills in town and see what they say

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a second year electrical certificate lol, I am just pondering the idea of changing careers.

So you work in Edson? That is after Jasper, correct? What do you mean by 'paper' is that what the exams are called?

I actually work in plant 12k east of Robb, I live in Edson, about two hours east of jasper. For a 4th class there are two exams (papers) yah have to pass to get your certificate. I hear guys say they have there 3rd with 2 papers on their second.
At our plant once yah complete your 3rd your eligible for a steam ticket bonus.

Im a millwright by trade but am familiar with what ops have to do to get signed off.
As a tradesperson and If you have years of experience working in a plant there is a clause in ABSA that permits time worked in a facility to be credited towards steam time. Yah have to find a chief steam op willing to sign the time, I'm just not into working graveyard! Lol

Yep I ride mcbride,blue river, and valemount.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sait or nait one or both have a power lab you can get your compressed steam time for your fourth. I think its 6 or 8 weeks long. You start stop boiler every day or twice a day and lots of hands on so they say it's like working a running plant is why u get your time in a compressed lab. Some guys at work did it. You can only get your time for your forth I believe.

WCTHEMI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How is the workload? Is it 8 hour days type deal?
Did they find you a placement in the field or did you have to do that yourself?
I am not sure what you mean by make sure you have your third when you get out, do you chose your own courses when your in the program?

When everything is running good, workload is very light. When there are plant upsets, you can be running your butt off for the duration of your shift. In an industrial setting you can expect to work 12 hour shifts, rotating from days to nights. If you attend NAIT or SAIT or other classroom training, they will place you in a plant to get your steam time. At the end of your schooling, you will have the skills needed to pass your provincial exam to get your third class ticket. Courses are set by SOPEEC, thanks to them, all power engineers across Canada are tested off of the same criteria.

frock

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
gdhillon if you wanted to do the course here in BC, BCIT has 2 different programs. One is to get your 4th and the other is to get half your 2nd. I couldn't find the timeline for the courses on BCIT's website, but I think they would be similar to SAIT and NAIT. If you're interested and would rather stay here for your schooling give them a call.

To answer your earlier questions I live in Hudson's Hope and commute to Chetwynd to work at the Pine River Gas Plant. If you got a 4th and were willing to move to this area you would have a pretty decent chance at a job with us, our turnover is pretty steady. A starting wage would be in the mid 40's/hr (you may be able to negotiate that) all OT is double time. We have a lot of OT in Operations and if you are an OT hog you can make 200k pretty easily. It's 45 mins to an hour to most of the riding areas from Chetwynd and the mountain riding is pretty decent here, you've probably rode a few of the areas already being from PG.

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
gdhillon if you wanted to do the course here in BC, BCIT has 2 different programs. One is to get your 4th and the other is to get half your 2nd. I couldn't find the timeline for the courses on BCIT's website, but I think they would be similar to SAIT and NAIT. If you're interested and would rather stay here for your schooling give them a call.

To answer your earlier questions I live in Hudson's Hope and commute to Chetwynd to work at the Pine River Gas Plant. If you got a 4th and were willing to move to this area you would have a pretty decent chance at a job with us, our turnover is pretty steady. A starting wage would be in the mid 40's/hr (you may be able to negotiate that) all OT is double time. We have a lot of OT in Operations and if you are an OT hog you can make 200k pretty easily. It's 45 mins to an hour to most of the riding areas from Chetwynd and the mountain riding is pretty decent here, you've probably rode a few of the areas already being from PG.
What's your top OT guy in hours? Ours was 1200 but he's a freak!
I can peg 800 in a heat beat

ABOMB177

Reaction score

Must be Prentice plant? Heard of a few Dow guys down there the love to do nothing but work. Personally if I hit 48hrs OT ive done to much. My time off is worth more than double time....... Unless I need a new toy

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Must be Prentice plant? Heard of a few Dow guys down there the love to do nothing but work. Personally if I hit 48hrs OT ive done to much. My time off is worth more than double time....... Unless I need a new toy

I still managed 14 weeks vac. I get tons of time off. My goal is less straight time more OT

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
where do you work? I would love to get 1200hrs vacation a year.

Prentiss, 16years

5 team system is the chit! 2weeks of heavy end. Then I only work 2 days a week for 3weeks. Then start over. So I booked every light end off over last summer so 9 weeks off total, I would fly home work my heavy end then fly back to the wife and kid. But when I'm home at work ya end up with all the ot ya can stand cause every one else is trying to do the same plus I'm panel and a IC so I can pick as much as I want. My goal last year was 450 and I ended up 750ish but with that much time off it was easy! Plus I had two major trips last year for training 1 full week in Colorado and 10 days in Baton Rouge and New Orleans fire training and hazmat training. Which they always schedule on our light end so I can rack up 100 hours ot on a trip like that easy!

ABOMB177

Reaction score
so in reality its 4 weeks of vacation because normal days off dont really count(ie. I work 7 and 7 so one week vacation gets me 3 weeks away from work but only really one week off becasue the other are just normal days off.... like day walkers weekends). I got what your saying. 750 is a ton of ot!

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
so in reality its 4 weeks of vacation because normal days off dont really count(ie. I work 7 and 7 so one week vacation gets me 3 weeks away from work but only really one week off becasue the other are just normal days off.... like day walkers weekends). I got what your saying. 750 is a ton of ot!

I have 5 weeks vac, I had more vac last year than just what I took in the summer. I had 3 weeks at Xmas plus various days.
We trade the odd set of days too. I take 6 days and get 3weeks off. We can move what we call swing days to cover other OT threw out the year. So in that light end is 2 swing days, ill work them in a shutdown or where ever so now I take 4 shifts and get 3 weeks off. We can bank all stats even if ya don't work them u can also trade a ot day for a day off. So much time off 750 is not that hard. I've been that much or very close every year. The most I ever had was 930 I think and that was on purpose due to a retention bonus program we got. It was based on our gross year income. It boiled down to a years wage spread across five years.
What plant are you at? I assume your flying in/out to fort Mac?

Do u like the 7-7? I did 14 in and 7 out back in the rig days and that 7 seam to go way to quick.... But maybe that was due to being drunk the first 6.5 days! I was only 18!
How's your turnover? We've had our share! It's getting old this constant training program!

Last edited:

ABOMB177

Reaction score
7's are the way to go. Every set off is like having a vacation. For example I can head to mexico for a set off withought burning days off...... still take the time off to recover from a vaction of course. Not fort mac cold lake. Camp life is not for me. Get bussed in and out. Fairly steady here with not to much turnover.

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Do you have built in ot to your rotation ? We are 39.1 hours /week and anything after is ot

frock

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

It sounds like our plants are almost identical for OT. Our highest guy was just under 1300 and anybody that wants to can get 800. This year should be a high year, it's turnaround in June with a total outage for just under a month.

Top Bottom