Power engineer trade

sledneck_03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My cousin took his 4th year in school, works at the coop refinery in regina. Studied and just wrote his third while working there.

Its good cash if you can live near the plant or do week in or week out.

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It sounds like our plants are almost identical for OT. Our highest guy was just under 1300 and anybody that wants to can get 800. This year should be a high year, it's turnaround in June with a total outage for just under a month.

Ya 1300 is nuts! I'm winding down shooting for 450 again maybe less! But could be hard its a shutdown year for us too!

gdhillon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I actually work in plant 12k east of Robb, I live in Edson, about two hours east of jasper. For a 4th class there are two exams (papers) yah have to pass to get your certificate. I hear guys say they have there 3rd with 2 papers on their second.
At our plant once yah complete your 3rd your eligible for a steam ticket bonus.

Im a millwright by trade but am familiar with what ops have to do to get signed off.
As a tradesperson and If you have years of experience working in a plant there is a clause in ABSA that permits time worked in a facility to be credited towards steam time. Yah have to find a chief steam op willing to sign the time, I'm just not into working graveyard! Lol

Yep I ride mcbride,blue river, and valemount.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Your like the renaissance! lol
The reason I am looking for a change is I was doing industrial work in grande prairie and wasn't a huge fan of it. That 500 MCM teck cable they use wasn't light and me being a smaller guy well I was sore pretty much everyday. So, I am looking into getting into something less physically tasking.

Do you know if I would have a good shot at your plant with my 4th class done?

gdhillon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
gdhillon if you wanted to do the course here in BC, BCIT has 2 different programs. One is to get your 4th and the other is to get half your 2nd. I couldn't find the timeline for the courses on BCIT's website, but I think they would be similar to SAIT and NAIT. If you're interested and would rather stay here for your schooling give them a call.

To answer your earlier questions I live in Hudson's Hope and commute to Chetwynd to work at the Pine River Gas Plant. If you got a 4th and were willing to move to this area you would have a pretty decent chance at a job with us, our turnover is pretty steady. A starting wage would be in the mid 40's/hr (you may be able to negotiate that) all OT is double time. We have a lot of OT in Operations and if you are an OT hog you can make 200k pretty easily. It's 45 mins to an hour to most of the riding areas from Chetwynd and the mountain riding is pretty decent here, you've probably rode a few of the areas already being from PG.

Really? 200K with just a 4th class...or are you referring to 1st class?

I think I know where your plant is, a ways before the pass there is a spectra sign for it?

Do you work 12 hour days on average? And is anything above 8 OT?

No, unfortunately I haven't. I just got my summit this year and have only ridden a hand full of times so I am still a 'noob'. But I can understand why guys would drive all that way to ride in the Pass, there doesn't seem like any shortage of snow up there.

gdhillon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It sounds like our plants are almost identical for OT. Our highest guy was just under 1300 and anybody that wants to can get 800. This year should be a high year, it's turnaround in June with a total outage for just under a month.

Ah that answers my question about OT, what is meant by 'turn around'?

sledneck_03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Really? 200K with just a 4th class...or are you referring to 1st class?

I think I know where your plant is, a ways before the pass there is a spectra sign for it?

Do you work 12 hour days on average? And is anything above 8 OT?

Need your 3rd to make over 200k. Guy that dates one of my employees is week in week out for suncore? he makes like 220k a year

No, unfortunately I haven't. I just got my summit this year and have only ridden a hand full of times so I am still a 'noob'. But I can understand why guys would drive all that way to ride in the Pass, there doesn't seem like any shortage of snow up there.

Need your 3rd to make over 200k. Guy that dates one of my employees is week in week out for suncore? he makes like 220k a year

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Not true^^^* been way over that for the last 6 years.
I only have my 4th it all depends on your OT and years of service.unless your referring to base pay? But even that a 1st at 200k base... That would be huge I would think

Last edited:

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Your like the renaissance! lol
The reason I am looking for a change is I was doing industrial work in grande prairie and wasn't a huge fan of it. That 500 MCM teck cable they use wasn't light and me being a smaller guy well I was sore pretty much everyday. So, I am looking into getting into something less physically tasking.

Do you know if I would have a good shot at your plant with my 4th class done?

Yes you would have a good shot, I just talked to management and they said if yah have a 4th get your resume in, they are looking to hire a couple steam ticket guys!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

snow_farmer

Reaction score
I didn't read the whole thread, but I would go to school for the two year course so you can get your steam time and come out with your third class. There's so many night classes and quick courses you can do to get your 4th that the industry is becoming saturated in them and it makes it very difficult to get your steam time for your third. The industry is still lacking power engineers but its more so in the 2nd and 1st classes due to the wages being so good in Alberta that no one advances past a 4th or 3rd and the amount of experienced baby boomers beginning to retire. I went to SAIT in 07 came out in 09 with my third, have had my 2nd since 2011 and haven't looked back. I got buddies who took the one year course/night classes and there still stuck with there 4th, getting no steam time. Take the extra year and you wont regret it. Just my two cents

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I didn't read the whole thread, but I would go to school for the two year course so you can get your steam time and come out with your third class. There's so many night classes and quick courses you can do to get your 4th that the industry is becoming saturated in them and it makes it very difficult to get your steam time for your third. The industry is still lacking power engineers but its more so in the 2nd and 1st classes due to the wages being so good in Alberta that no one advances past a 4th or 3rd and the amount of experienced baby boomers beginning to retire. I went to SAIT in 07 came out in 09 with my third, have had my 2nd since 2011 and haven't looked back. I got buddies who took the one year course/night classes and there still stuck with there 4th, getting no steam time. Take the extra year and you wont regret it. Just my two cents

^^^^^^yup what he said!^^***

If your smart enough to get your 2nd... Do it and don't leave school till your done. 2 year program is the best way for a young guy/gal.
I took my 4th later in life but had my steam time

I've been pretty lucky where I landed for the education I have. But I have lots of oilfield / pipeline knowledge . I was hired off the street so to speak because of this. I had offers to go to fire bag but not ready to go there yet due to having a 4 year old at home. Go to school you'll be better off than trying to do it on the fly!

sledneck_03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Man i can only dream about 200k.

i took cad/cam another technical engineering diploma program, i get to go home every day at 5... Pays ok. Would be good if saskatoon wasnt so f'n expensive.

Wish i knew about power engineering 8 years ago.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

With the new ABSA rules the amount of temporary tickets being given out at our plant is fading, forcing the guys to progress. I don't think that that is a bad thing but on the other side of the coin a fellow with a 4th or a third can step up to a higher paid position and work off the temporary! That's were the big bucks are!! The big downside is Step up differance Just doesn't go towards your pension and holidays.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

i took cad/cam another technical engineering diploma program, i get to go home every day at 5... Pays ok. Would be good if saskatoon wasnt so f'n expensive.

Yah no kidding! Not a lot of physical work, but I do respect a op that wants to learn and get his hands dirty with yah, but mostly it's troubleshooting.

snow_farmer

Reaction score
Worked out at Shell Caroline for 5 years, currently at E1 waiting to go over to the new project to commission it (I'm a sucker for punishment haha)

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Worked out at Shell Caroline for 5 years, currently at E1 waiting to go over to the new project to commission it (I'm a sucker for punishment haha)

So ya worked with Murray M... Crazy bugger! Lol

Now I think about it...do u work with Wendy L
Or is she still in E3?
We lost some guys to the your side that are going to the poly expansion.
Are they still looking for guys?

PS back when I was a pipe fitter for Cobra, I worked at the Caroline site we installed all the arial coolers... Close to 20 years ago! Lol getting old!

Last edited:

mb1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Don't think the big checks come without a cost. We have some big OT numbers ( I was nearly lowest guy at 375h, 2 month TA ). IMO the happiest guys happen to have the lowest hours. Just my observation.

'12 T4

biggie25

Reaction score
I work 20 mins outside Edmonton and have my 4th class and 2 papers of my 3rd.. Made 175k this year.. Lots of guys with there 3rds made 200k.. No need to go out of town.. Lots of jobs close to home.. Great job path.. Only downer is the shift work.. We're always looking for ppl.. MSG me for details

Top Bottom