Powder Coat changed color ???

Sledtillded

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Did a bunch of powder coating 2 winters ago by one of the shops in Edmonton and was real pleased with the work and price seemed reasonable. What started out as a cherry Red has now turned into a soft pink ???? anyone else experience this ? WTF is this Chitty product or what. Tried polishing with a cut polish and it came back to more of a red but no way to polish a set of rails or Running board bars and certainly didn't think I would have to maintain PC parts.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have never seen this either. I bought a sled with some anodized parts on it. The black bumpers slowly changed till they almost had a really dark purple haze.

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
^^^^^
Powder coating fades bad if left out in sun.
If you don't want it fading you have to clear it after coating .

Sledtillded

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Never been in the sun. Always stored indoors Talked to a Buddy who did some Cat green several years ago and he said the same thing. Went from a dark green to a light green after a couple years. I have pics of mine when done and will take some now when I can get to my sled and will post it here. I will be talking to some of the PC shops to get their view. If clearing is the answer then will do it for sure

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Only generally fades if left in the sun or washed with harsh cleaners like brakleen.

shoppingcart111

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It shouldn't fade if its good powder and applied properly, I talked to my buddy Dean at the Powder Station and he said it was either applied wrong or its interior powder or some epoxies.

Sledtillded

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes Shopping Cart. Did some digging and have come up with some good info for anyone getting some PC work done
It looks like the powder that was used on my parts was a low UV interior grade. u need to make sure the powder used is a polyester high durability EXTERIOR powder. It is UV resistant and does not need to be cleared. After talking to the Powder Station this is all they use. At least the shop that did mine has offered to redo all my stuff with the right product. Just sucks to have to pull it all apart again. First 3 pics are when it was new. Not sure how well it will show in these pics. But it is night and day difference in person
atu3e5e9.jpg
ugusynev.jpg

freeflorider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Another option is to give the sled to your wife or girlfriend and then it gives you the excuss to buy yourself a new one....see hunny it's pink, just for you!

Sledtillded

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lol. Excellent idea. Will run that up the flag pole and see what happens

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would be upset to! I would be hesitant on getting them to redo it it might look the same again in awhile.

Sledtillded

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would be upset to! I would be hesitant on getting them to redo it it might look the same again in awhile.

Ya I thought about that too and will be 100% verifying the product They actually admitted they didn't realize this particular Red was an interior grade and reds are notorious for potential color change. Will pull the A-Arms off and get them to do those too free for all the BS

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya I thought about that too and will be 100% verifying the product They actually admitted they didn't realize this particular Red was an interior grade and reds are notorious for potential color change. Will pull the A-Arms off and get them to do those too free for all the BS

That's the least they could do!

Top Bottom