New mod plan!!!

Thunderguy BOOSTED

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey! Got a new mod plan!!

Here goes!

My 97 summit chassis powder coated! Flat Black Tunnel, Flat Red rails, Flat Black rear suspension, Flat Blue bulk head, Flat red trailing arms, Flat red bumper, Flat Blue steering, (which is ever thing), and a Dark Red chain case!

After i get all those parts back then iam going to put my 159''finger track on, (but if i cant find a 159''x15''x2.5 powder track)
new powder coated 159'' skid out of 2002 summit
16'' Fox shocks in the front
pro-taper bar
13or15 wide chain
new BLACK pipes
custom set of extra rads:D (going on the underside of the running boards foe more cooling)
cat roller secondary
p-85 on my 740 Union Bay engine
mtn fit hood
air pods
and a few other little things!
oh i almost forgot the Mothers Black To Black Polish for the plastic!:D;)(make her look like new:cool:)

What do you guys think???

J:rolleyes:

CHEERS :beer;:beer;

S

stripe

ya you may want to try bullfrog123 on here i know he does some powder coating

may save ya some cash

Thunderguy BOOSTED

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
IT LOOKS LIKE ITS GOING TO COST MY CLOSER TO $725 BECAUSE ALL THE PARTS THAT ARE FLAT RED OR FLAT BLUE NEED A CHROME BASE OF POWDER!!

j;)

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If it was me - I would do all one colour or a combo of red and black or blue and black, but not all 3.

Just my $0.02.

Thunderguy BOOSTED

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If it was me - I would do all one colour or a combo of red and black or blue and black, but not all 3.

Just my $0.02.
I guess your right!

Ok then i pick red and black!
So how do i do the coloring???
(#1)black tunnel, red rails,black suspension, red trailing arms, red rear bumper, black or red bulk head and red chain case?
(#2) all black?
(#3) black tunnel, black rails, red suspension, red bulk head, black chain case, red trailing arms, red bumper?
Let me know!

Give me your coloring idea!

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
Go with color wayyyyy to many people go with all black that bandwagon is getting pretty full, at 10 feet it all blends together there is no definition. Colored parts you see all the lines and angles to the parts makes it look better IMO

Thunderguy BOOSTED

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Go with color wayyyyy to many people go with all black that bandwagon is getting pretty full, at 10 feet it all blends together there is no definition. Colored parts you see all the lines and angles to the parts makes it look better IMO

SO WHICH ONE???
(#1)black tunnel, red rails,black suspension, red trailing arms, red rear bumper, red bulk head and red chain case?
(#2) black tunnel, black rails, red suspension, red bulk head, black chain case, red trailing arms, red bumper?
Let me know!

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Honestly, I agree with this statement but I don't. Black is sexy, black goes with anything. Black is also the easiest to repair.

I had my one tunnel and bulkhead powdercoated red and then had CMax mix me up some paint that matched (BMW Red 314) for the hood and accessory parts. That looked great until I got the first scratch in the hood. Colour is awesome but very very very hard to keep clean. I wipe my sled almost every ride and I still never get all the belt dust off it. All the dirt, grease, grime, etc is far more noticeable on coloured parts and usually powder coat colours are tough to match. Once you scratch or chip it, it can't just be repaired in one little spot, the whole part has to be stripped and re-coated. Thank goodness its durable, but if you have a bad wreck and lots of parts to repair, expect that the powdercoat will be damaged badly on lots of them (i.e. may need re-coating).

Be honest with yourself, sleds aren't trailer queens. For this very reason, I painted my other sled black. Basic black, nothing special. Easy to keep clean, can't see as much dirt etc. Looks sharp when everything is polished up. If this one gets a scratch or a chip though, its easily repaired with a Jiffy Marker, seriously that's what I use. Keeps costs down and allows me to spend more $$ on the important stuff (things that make it go faster...:))

As much as one-off lexan custom painted hoods look really cool, I have been sledding for long enough to see many of them tumble down the hill while breaking into 100's of pieces....:( Lots of money down the drain.

Murminator is right, lots of mainstream guys doing black stuff though. If you want to really be different, do a wrap or something really unique that is just your individuality.

At the end of the day, its more about how it performs than how it looks though....at least that's my opinion.

:)

Thunderguy BOOSTED

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Honestly, I agree with this statement but I don't. Black is sexy, black goes with anything. Black is also the easiest to repair.

I had my one tunnel and bulkhead powdercoated red and then had CMax mix me up some paint that matched (BMW Red 314) for the hood and accessory parts. That looked great until I got the first scratch in the hood. Colour is awesome but very very very hard to keep clean. I wipe my sled almost every ride and I still never get all the belt dust off it. All the dirt, grease, grime, etc is far more noticeable on coloured parts and usually powder coat colours are tough to match. Once you scratch or chip it, it can't just be repaired in one little spot, the whole part has to be stripped and re-coated. Thank goodness its durable, but if you have a bad wreck and lots of parts to repair, expect that the powdercoat will be damaged badly on lots of them (i.e. may need re-coating).

Be honest with yourself, sleds aren't trailer queens. For this very reason, I painted my other sled black. Basic black, nothing special. Easy to keep clean, can't see as much dirt etc. Looks sharp when everything is polished up. If this one gets a scratch or a chip though, its easily repaired with a Jiffy Marker, seriously that's what I use. Keeps costs down and allows me to spend more $$ on the important stuff (things that make it go faster...:))

As much as one-off lexan custom painted hoods look really cool, I have been sledding for long enough to see many of them tumble down the hill while breaking into 100's of pieces....:( Lots of money down the drain.

Murminator is right, lots of mainstream guys doing black stuff though. If you want to really be different, do a wrap or something really unique that is just your individuality.

At the end of the day, its more about how it performs than how it looks though....at least that's my opinion.

:)

is your 670 mod powder coated?

so what should i do??

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
what about all flat red??

I'd call you a copycat..... :)

I like the black on black personally, although the orange bellypan is coming off this year, a black one will replace it.

The red paint cost me about $150 bucks with reducer, clear coat etc. The black paint cost me $14.98 for two cans of tremclad gloss black. You can tell the difference between the two paints up close, but from 10 feet away you can't tell the difference. Painting is all about prep.

Attachments

• Red on Black.jpg
    Red on Black.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 25
  • Black on Black.JPG
    Black on Black.JPG
    62.6 KB · Views: 56

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
is your 670 mod powder coated?

so what should i do??

Yes my 670 mod is powder coated (except for the hood - you can't coat the hood). It has been awesome and its held up really well. It sheds the snow like crazy, nothing sticks to it. But I will never be able to change the colour of my sled. Whatever colour you coat it, be prepared to live with it permanently.

You should do whatever you want and whatever suits your budget.
Have you looked into anodizing?

Top Bottom