polaris problems

mavrick

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 07 500 sportsman and it wont start with the key but will pull over by hand,the battery is fully charged. When I put it in gear it dies when I go to give it gas but idols just fine. Had it go ahead a bit then just died. help.

whopper809

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that your quad should have a throttle safty switch in the throttle housing. All you need to do is open the housing up and clean it up. It's sticking and triggering the safty to shut off the quad.

OnlyPolaris

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ya in the etc switch the is a mechanism that if it is not adjusted right the quad will idle and that it.

mavrick

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well now the quad has nothing the intrusment cluster wont even light up and the efi system dose not run off to the shop in the morring

lucm

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well now the quad has nothing the intrusment cluster wont even light up and the efi system dose not run off to the shop in the morring

I had a similar thing happen to my '02 400 but it stopped charging the battery so everything died, including the fan etc. If you take the front rack off and the front cover there is a set of wires by the radiator that sometimes corrode....................it might be worth a look?

mavrick

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well the charger said it has 100%charge and as for pulling more stuff apart the shop can look at it after all thats warrnety is for and besides this anit the first time I have had other issuses with the quad in the past little while this thing only has 400 miles of trail ridden nothing to serious I might just sell it and go back to dirt bikes or try a sport quad we will see in the morring as to what the shop says and take it form there.

ElectroTech

Reaction score
Somewhere along the line the quad isnt getting any power, just cause your charger says the battery is good doesnt mean a whole lot. There could be a shorted cell in the battery or a crappy connection, try boosting it like you would a car. I'd bet its a simple problem. As far as it dying just off idle thats not the etc, gennerally the etc will not let the quad idle at all, but if you give it gas it will go. As long as there isnt much freeplay on the lever(should be 3/16") you should be good, its so well sealed that there isnt any chance of dirt in there. I'd suspect that the reason it dies when you give it gas is that the battery is so pooched/low that the cpu is shutting it down as soon as it demands more power.Try shutting off every gadget on the bike, lights, hand and thumb warmers etc.

Top Bottom