polaris parts

cuzican

Reaction score
I don't know how many of you ride Polaris, but I'm wanting performance stuff for my sportsman 800. I found a pipe from aaen but I've heard that the big bore quads are de-tuned from the factory and that you can get alot more power with an aftermarket CDI box or chip/programmer for the fuel injection system. The only company I can find that has plans to come up with any fuel curve/timing curve mods is a company called Velocity devices inc. and they don't plan to start on them anytime soon.

I'm also curious about lift kits. If any of you have lifted quads have you noticed them being topheavy. I want a little more height for playing in the mud but don't want to ruin it for aggressive trail riding either.

I need a mount for the 4,000 pound winch and I can only find one for the 3,000 pounder. I love my 800 but when its stuck I'm screwed. Its too heavy for the 2,500 pound winch I have now. Without my snatchblock I can't even move it.

Thanks for any advice.

Garryese

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
At least a half a dozen fuel map adjusters for the 800. Google and decide what you want and can afford, then order it from your favorite Polaris dealer or on-line from the manufacturer.

Lift kits are easily made or can be ordered from several manufacturers aswell. Sportsmans are heavy but the weight is down low; no worries will lift kits raising CG to a point of making it tippy.

2500lb winch pulls every other 800 lb machine out of the mud when only handle bars are sticking out. 3000lb mount up to the same bracket as the 2500 and pulls out Prowlers. The weight on a 4000lb is enough to get stuck at every other hole hole.

cuzican

Reaction score
Thanks,
I'll have to look around some more.
I don't know whats up with my winch, if I don't use a pully block to double the power its almost helpless. Last spring I had a winch and two other quads pulling on it and it still took 1/2 hour of shoveling mud to get it to move.

Garryese

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have seen three quads trying to pull out a fourth quad all with winch lines and 2500lbs winches on the last wrap. Math says 10,000lbs pulling and it still had to be rolled completely over once before it came out. 98% of the time a 2500 should do the job. You may have a burnt out winch motor. Problem is a motor armature is better then half the price of a new winch.:(

If you have the ability to fab things up, have a look at your dealer for a lift kit, examine it and then build one. They are easy to build if you have some fabbing experiance. The polaris ones are too expensive for what you get; OEM cost over $100CAD:( and can be built for about $10CAD (free if you can find scraps at a welding shop).;)

cuzican

Reaction score
It just seems trying to pull that thing out of the mud even with multiple ATV's/winches is like trying to pull a battleship with a rowboat.
When my cousin's grizz gets stuck I toss him a line and give him a tug & the grizz pops right out. As far as lift kits go, I never really thought about building my own. I'm quite handy with welding/cutting equipment and have my own. I just havn't really looked close enough to see how hard it would be to make my own.

hintonatv

Reaction score
Website
www.bratphaze.ca
I am working on a 2005 Sportsman 800. It is getting a Big Gun exaust, Dynojet Power Commander, temperature guage (A must for any big bore ATV!!) and a fan overide switch, for starters. I'll let you know how it turns out when I get it done. I've been waiting on the exaust for 5 weeks now. They are on back order.
Check out the Gorrilla Axle lift kit.

cuzican

Reaction score
Awesome. I'm curious to see if it wakes up enough to make the money worth spending. This new computerized crap is too expensive to hop-up. I rebuilt the engine in my truck and added a different cam,throttle body, and air induction system for less money that it takes to hop up my atv.
I just ordered a good brushguard and rear bumper for my 800 too. Was noticing the plastic bumper starting to crack and stress in a few places from pushing downed trees out of the way.

Garryese

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The problem with the 800 Sportsman for any mods is the fall off after peak horsepower. Stock peak horsepower is at 6000rpm with about 10% drop off at 6200. So avoid anything over 6000rpm. The commander helps a bit but a mid range pipe is better value.

The nice part about a 800 is it has a flat torque curve, Pipe it right and you'll be at or very near peak torque from 3400rpm to 5000rpm. Clutch it to run somewhere in this range and you'll be moving. Most other quads need to be clutched to run within a couple hunderd rpm.

BTW, I have a line on an oil cooler kit to fit the 800 if you find overheating an issue.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Hey Garryese And Hintonatv: You Guys Are A Welcome Addition To This Site, Bringin' In Real Knowledge And Experience. Will Have To Meet You Guys Some Day. Keep Up The Good Work, Guys!!!

Garryese

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Oil cooler kit consist of a cooler that sit in front of the OEM rad, just behind the screen. Two lines and an adapter. Takes about 20*c off the oil temp. Keep the life blood cooler and the engine is happier.

Only problem I have found is delivey from the supplier is can be long. But I do where he lives.:D

Should work on the 600 and 700 as well.

youngpolarisguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have always thought of putting a oil cooler on my 500 i have had it start running pretty hot when i start working it hard in the mud let us all know price and where to get one, and also how it works out for you.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Garryese I have meet you a few times already and you really know your stuff. Thanks for your help on the teckno stuff. We all put something into making this a good helpfull website.

Garryese

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sledderglen, one of these days I'll get the scrambler stuck and I'll need someone like you to pull me out. We all need a hand once in awhile, and we all have a hand to offer once in awhile;)

dallasdaku

Reaction score
i have a 06 800 special edition and tried copying a 2inch lift kit but wen doing so and not making or buying new axles i increased angle on my cv shafts and ended up going through many cv joints. after removing the homemade 2inch lift ive had no problems watsoever. I have aaen pipe and looking for other simple mods to increase power. I burnt a 3500 warn winch out one day and had dsi in calgary fix it cheap. I would say your winch is faulty.

cuzican

Reaction score
i have a 06 800 special edition and tried copying a 2inch lift kit but wen doing so and not making or buying new axles i increased angle on my cv shafts and ended up going through many cv joints. after removing the homemade 2inch lift ive had no problems watsoever. I have aaen pipe and looking for other simple mods to increase power. I burnt a 3500 warn winch out one day and had dsi in calgary fix it cheap. I would say your winch is faulty.

That is what i would think too about my winch, but its not just my winch. I've had several other winches pull on it too and they have the same problem.
I don't burn them up because I only pull for short amounts of time before letting them cool. I don't know that I'm going to mess with polaris anymore. There is a huge lack of aftermarket support for them. I'll probably sell both of mine this summer and get a pair of grizzlies. The aftermarket for them is huge.
My cousin has put a little bit of money into his grizz and it will run circles around my polaris 800. I'm thinking of the outlander 800 too, but damn they are spendy.

dallasdaku

Reaction score
made my own 2inch lift and had to grind a bit off lower struts cause i kept ripping boots when full extension of suspension happened like climbing or going over large bumps. when in deep mud suspension would also drop and with big tires and torque cv joints kept blowing up. Wouldnt suggest it without gorilla axles, may as well buy the kit.

OnlyPolaris

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i had a 2" lift on my bike for a year and had zero problems. your right thumb is what you have to watch when you have a lift. that is what breaks axles. i personally know guys with 3" lifts on there polaris's with stock axles. they have no problems because they watch there thumb.

Top Bottom