polaris 1" receiver

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
just an add to the tire thing, my buddy put mudlites on his rhino and has had nothing but trouble with them. I don't think they had considered the added weight and stress of a UTV in the design, he has trouble with sidewalls failing. every trip out to Grande Cache he has had tire failures, and not the tread puncture kind.

Sparx

Reaction score
lol i have a feeling the whole running mud tires and over heating bikes has nothing to do with actually running mud tires man.

more to do with what they were doing before they went out into the sand hills.

aka plugging their rads up with mud and then not cleaning them thoroughly.

to me that seems like a much more reasonable explanation.

If you've never been there done that, how could you really know? Trust me, this is from experience, don't be suggesting something to someone if you haven't even tried it yourself. EVERY experience rider up here agrees mud tires kill the machines in the sand.

Think about it, those motors are getting continuously loaded with no water in sight at high speeds on this road when it's 20-30C on average. It's not like running through a deep mud hole WOT for just a minute or so with water everywhere cooling everything down. Things change in this environment, and it will break things that don't normally get broken. You wanna test a machine, you hook up to a 750-1000lb + trailer and try to tow it up here at speeds of 30-50kph in the sand up and down hills.

We're all too used to the "know it alls" who come up here from out of town needing our help because they came unprepared for what this trip can dish out. It's not easy on the bike riding with a big load for 100kms straight in 3 hrs riding. The road can get pretty rough, I've seen the best machines fail and break up here. Broken hitches like that Rzr in this post are the norm, same with broken tongues on tub trailers. Seen a Brute Force last season with the whole axle hub ripped right off the rear end, little ways down the road on the same trip a Honda 300 with mud tires left stranded in the middle of the road.

We laugh all the time when we talk to guys complaining of overheating when running big tires in the sand, it's so common it's stupid. Most have to switch up the tubs & still have issues unloaded as a result. Just speaking from experience you know, being a local and running up here for over 12yrs.

Found out the hard way alot of these issues, just like sleds, for trips like these the stock machines do best for reliability. You would think Gorilla axles would be the ticket, nope, couldn't tell you how many times I had to rebuild mine. Great for the skeg, run way to hot if there's no water around though, even lowered.... That Ranger you see there normally runs 6 30" XXL Mudlites with a 6" lift, over 20" of ground clearance. Problems with everything aftermarket, nothing factory.... Motor is bullet proof!

Sparx

Reaction score
Sounds like a another plug for good old PLUGlites.......lol

I'd have to agree that the Mudlites could have better quality. I have a small leak in my one tire right where the seams join in the middle of the tire. Looks like a needle poked in there. Not impressed.... Other than that, they've taken quite a bit of abuse with no punctures though, been in some nasty spots too Moose hunting and all....

racerfromhell

Reaction score
I run the bighorns and love them. I ride in everything snow, mud sand, plowed field, grass, dirt whatever.....they are a great "overall" tire...and haven't had a flat in 1500 km

Fallen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
anyone have any take off big horns from a rzr S forsale??;)

Fallen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
nice tub trailer,
who has the best deals on tub trailers with walking beam axles or does anyone know where i can find just the tub??

not sure what the prices are like but they might sell just the tub if you wanna build your own.

Sparx

Reaction score
Marathon and Paddle Plastics in Mayerthorpe make great tub trailers. A few trips on our Paddle Plastics tub and they haul great and have been bullet proof reliable so far with heavy loads. They are under $2000 where as the Marathon and Rhino brand aluminum tubs can run you up to $2500 with a lid and such.

Top Bottom