Yes 271 votes (50 %)
No 266 votes (49 %)
Current High Answer: Yes

Come on people!
There tryin the same thing here too.:nono:

Grizzly Adams

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Talk to anyone in the service industry in revy. See what they think of sledders. These Cariboo are the most valuable critters on earth. The economics of this would suggest it would be better to buy cariboo futures than gold! Drop Barry Penner minister of environment for BC a letter to offset the tree huggin lobby .env.minister@gov.bc.ca

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Found this on Wildsight's website yesterday and immediatly posted it on Snowest. Came here and found it already looked after. Kudo's Kathy! You can bet Wildsight's not the only enviroloonie group that's sent this to their members too! I find it really sad that a post about the BIS on Snowest is getting more attention there!

Did anyone catch Global TV news last night? Had to quietly (ya, right!) sit there and watch some woman from Forest Ethics tell me how snowmobiles are compacting the lichen that Caribou eat. You know....that lichen that's hanging from the old growth trees! The sad part is that the general population doesn't know squat about Caribou and falls for this crap! So much for truth in the media. :mad:

Powder Puff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledrevelstoke.com
I believe sled clubs/ individuals/ organizations, etc. need to pool resources to do their own studies into these kinds of matters and provide the decision makers with legitmate info that either contradicts or supports the info put forth by the lobbyist groups.

It`s too bad we haven`t been able to share the sightings and #`s for the past 20 yrs. These groups have made us not want to tell a soul for fear of losing more areas.
The animals have moved out of the national parks where there is no back country recreation allowed and have habituated to popular snowmobile areas.
Please vote u guys, there are some really good comments to read to.
It won`t let me login to comment.

barbender

Reaction score
voted... thanks PP for all of your time bringing such important news to all of our attention time and time again. Job very well done.:clap2::clap2::beer:

330AC

Reaction score
It continues to amaze me that the governments, be it provincial or federal, always point to recreation as the sector of the economy that is going to get us out of this recession, yet they continually limit recreational opportunities by closing areas.

At some point in time a politician has to have the stones to make some hard choices. Do the communities that rely on the revenue that sledding brings to survive or do we close all the hills and hope this helps in the caribou recovery plan.

There is no scientific proof that snowmobiling and the access it causes has any effect on Caribou herds or their survival. There is a case to be made in shooting all the preditors that prey on Caribou but again, this strategy has no appetite in the political arena.

Make sure you vote, this is political decision not a scientific one!

330AC

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
just voted as well. never have and probably never will sled this area but i have to agree with everyone on here that if they keep getting their way it'll never stop. I am an avid hunter, fisherman sledder and qauder and enjoy wildlife as much as any tree hugger,probably even more whens its on my plate, but i really don't think that sledders are hurting the caribou/ whatever other animal they can find in the area. I know myself it sure is alot easier to move around on a packed sled trail than in powder up to your eyeballs. hopefully it all goes well for the sledders afected by this and the area in ? stays open for a long time.

Powder Puff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledrevelstoke.com
You can bet Wildsight's not the only enviroloonie group that's sent this to their members too! I find it really sad that a post about the BIS on Snowest is getting more attention there!

You bet it is out there everywhere now, hope the poll continues to run for the wk. following the club and society`s response that will be in tomorrow`s paper.
Angie got an e-mail (Sorry Angie :eek:) from the editor of the paper asking that P.P. correct an incorrect passage in a post on SW. Lots of people are reading all of this.
I don`t think the BIS thing is not going to get us any positive recognition at all, it could be really sad

Had to quietly (ya, right!) sit there and watch some woman from Forest Ethics tell me how snowmobiles are compacting the lichen that Caribou eat. You know....that lichen that's hanging from the old growth trees! The sad part is that the general population doesn't know squat about Caribou and falls for this crap! So much for truth in the media. :mad:

I have heard a lot of people saw this on t.v. Sad when other groups that rely on the backcountry for employment/recreation start blaming each other, those other groups love to see us fighting.
I`m looking forward to the paper tomorrow, we actually will get to tell our side of the story. Sure hope the poll stays up.
The comments on the poll are good, check it out.
I have been unable to login so far, anyone else having trouble?

Moyiesledhead thanks for all your help getting this out there. :beer:

LID

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Even if they were to follow what the so called "experts" were saying and shut down completely, there's little chance of recovery if their numbers are dwindling in already protected areas. Back in the 80's (or so), the "experts" said that shutting down the NFLD cod fishery would have stocks back in a few years. These "experts" were WAY off then and they are way off now.

muffin

Reaction score
PP, Way back when, there was supposedly some info on the capture and release of said caribo . Was there not issuses of aborted calfs and deaths do to high stress of the way of capture? Maybe it is time for the alleged video to surface. Being shot at by a net cannon from a helicopter would be stressful . Maybe our tree huggers could be tested lol

Powder Puff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledrevelstoke.com
That is true muffin.

Here is the article from today`s paper, we were assured we would get equal coverage but with the way the story was written I`m glad we didn`t. The poll was also discontinued. :confused: Wonder who slams us next wk.?
You can comment after the article.

Top Bottom