Please help I'm worried! M800

Kenny_h2o

Reaction score
So sled is a 2012 m800 sp, only mod is D&D big dog barker can.

quick little back story. Last year my final mountain ride was a full week of -35 without wind chill in Valemount. Sled ran fine first 3 days, then started to backfire and take 5 or so pulls to start with a hand on fuel (while still warm)...

It seemed flooding itself right away even if I let it idle before hitting the kill switch.

My final day we rode a long bumpy cold ride up chapel, soon as I got the top my sled started flashing "ECU 06" so I said damn don't turn it off!

When I did turn it off in a sage place at about 9 am... She didn't go all day. I had all panels off, exhaust checked plugs warmed them up... Every time I cleared the cylinders out of fuel cause it was flooding... (With a torch) first pull it would just fill up with fuel, spitting everywhere...

All day I did that and ended up being a tow out day, and loaded her by hand...

So I bring it to the dealer and they told me a wire had pinched and shorted out then burned through and it was in "limp mode" which I'm told is over fuel, and timing retard?

So my question is does anyone know if that would cause an ECU code?

And now that I have the sled back its very hard to pull over even if its warm, and it comes in stages like I can feel the pistons cycling up and down through the recoil?

I'm not sure what would cause this or if its even a symptom of anything bad?

Also my primary makes some mean noise and oscillates like a spinning top about to fall over...

Is this normal?

I had one belt blow apart 083 in 35 km at break in... belt and damage was all warrantied... but after that not one issue with belts, 3 trips to elevation and I ride fairly hard.

thekrust

Reaction score
Sounds like a trip to the dealer is in order. The ECU code could easily be caused bt a pinched wire , not much to worry about there. Feeling the compression strokes when pulling over is not so abnormal either. The clutch oscillation and noise would scare the hell out of me! That would indicate that the crank has gone out of alignment and would require the engine to be torn down. Good thing for warranty in a situation like that.

Kenny_h2o

Reaction score
See this is my issue because it seemed to do that all last season and I put plenty of km on it. 1000 or so...

If I posted a video of it running I guess maybe that would help because I'm heading to the mountains in 1 week and was wondering if its just how the proclimb primary's run?

They told me at the dealer it was pretty normal and I know a lot of guts say that torque plate isn't strong enough for these engines so I guess that could be it too?

thekrust

Reaction score
If you want to be sure just put a dial indicator on it and see if it is running true. I don't recall my 12 being noisy or seeming to oscillate and the13 sure don't act like that.

Kenny_h2o

Reaction score
I guess I could do that but it's pretty visibly oscillating from just an eyeball...

Also puts a pretty mean backfire out every started it up last night.

Tearing most of it down this weekend for running boards, track, tether, new snow flap.

Just wanted to see if it was normal at all due to that clutch fan or anything... As clutching is somewhere I'm not familiar and it's my first new sled...

thekrust

Reaction score
I wouldn't see this as being APV prob. If the are stuck or not operating proper you will get ECU code 16. Do the dial indicator check, if it's out by more than .002" you have a problem. I had a ski-doo that you could visibly see at idle like that...it was .016" off centre.

suzuki_ryder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Primary clutches will always have a loud chatter. It's normal. Most people only notice how loud they are after they blow a belt thinking they did damage.

If it doesn't idle well I'd bring it to a dealer since you have another year of warranty. Why make their problem your problem right?

Bring it in as soon as you can because the longer you wait to get it fixed, the longer it is until you ride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kenny_h2o

Reaction score
So should it chatter a bit at idle then line back up and spin true when throttle applied? Because I know about 80 percent of the noise I'm worried about is because it has the stock can back on it right now..

The clutch and maybe engine mounts and that torque plate are what I'm worried about... Ill take a video tonight maybe after work.

suzuki_ryder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Why are you worried about those? And yes the clutch will chatter loud on idle since the weights are slapping sound inside the primary with no load. Once you spin the motor faster there will be enough centrifugal force to hold them against the moving sheave.

Kenny_h2o

Reaction score
Was saying I know it's not something I should worry about too much just combined with all of the history and the oscillating primary ( seemingly ) it's hard to just ignore.

suzuki_ryder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The easiest way to ignore the clutch is to put your sled in 1-4 feet of fresh snow. You'll forget all about it then.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you can visibly see the primary wobbling you have a serious problem. I'd get it to the dealer NOW! Well I wouldn't 'cuz none of my sleds are still on warranty...but you get the idea.

tavis43

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Was the sled stored in a heated place between rides? My 08 did the exact thing when I banished it to the shed for a bit. As soon as I thawed it out it was all good.

Go-Vertical

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've heard of a couple primary clutches that have broke off/ cracked. They crack/break at the threaded portion of the stationary shiv. Just an idea.

Kenny_h2o

Reaction score
About to put the track in and sled back together. Cleaning and washing primary and secondary what kind of water/soap should I use? People use sand paper??

Last edited:

tater

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had same issue with my 12. Took it in and was cracked motor mount. I thought it was clutch.. Just an idea..

Kenny_h2o

Reaction score
It will be going to the dealer ASAP if it still acts up tonight when I fire it up and check it over.

Top Bottom