plates on your machine

Grinny

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
i'm curious what the deal is with putting plates on your machine. i currently don't have mine on the machine, but keep them in the trunk. on my old sled i put them on the flap, but that lasted about 2 rides before they got ripped off. i'm just wondering if i'm gonna get a ticket if the rc's stop me?

Fallen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
depends on the officer! I got pulled over on my dirt bike and i told them that my papers and plate were back in my truck. They took my word for it and let me go. But i think i got lucky. I keep my plate under the hood of my sled in my tool bag with my insurance papers.

meierjn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Was sitting in Hay Lakes pub (before it burnt down) a couple of years ago and the local RCMP wandered in. He asked a few of us why we were not "proudly displaying our plates?" I explained to him that I was on my second one and did not want to lose it like I did the first. I offered to go out and show him my plate, insurance, and registration but he declined. I know legally you are supposed to have them visible but they sure don't last long on you flap. One of the guys with us had just bought his sled and didn't have it registered yet. The RCMP officer warned him not to let him see us riding after he left. We took a different route home that day. I find if you be civil and courteous chances are both parties will walk away happy (in most cases).

2003Summit

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Use rivets and attach them to the side of the tunnel, just drill a new hole right through plate, tunnel and all, and pop a rivet or two in - in an area where the track won't likely rub the rivet. They will never stay on the snow flap.

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
Mine is mounted on the side of the tunnel just put it through an existing bolt

RETODD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.valemountvacationrental.com
Lots of different threads have talked about this subject...seems no one has ever replied they’ve been ticketed if they can produce the plate and insurance...law says it should be visibly attached to the sled but if you are like me and do not want it bolted to the tunnel, stowed on the sled seems to be accepted. My :twocents:

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
I have gotten grief a couple times when it was displayed but never ticketed....always got the ticket for something else:mad:

sledderdoc

Super Senior Member
Reaction score
My buddies doing the Alberta Beach weekend here and they will be on sleds, he's pretty relaxed don't give him grief and they will leave you alone. They're main purpose is checking for registration and insurance. It would be advisable to have your plate attached to your machine, they don't really care where.

BIGFOOT

Reaction score
Use rivets and attach them to the side of the tunnel, just drill a new hole right through plate, tunnel and all, and pop a rivet or two in - in an area where the track won't likely rub the rivet. They will never stay on the snow flap.

Yup.... Always have mounted plates on the tunnel, 4 rivets done deal.

Top Bottom