Picked a fine time to leave me....

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
850 , 900 what`s the difference both frickin heavy....However if there is a bottom the heavier quads go better anyhow....I just get tired of everyone thinking the only heavy quad is the popo...All the big bore quads twins are heavy, big deal, they still haul ass....

The brute is not heavy, almost 200 pounds lighter. :d

Maybe 73 lbs lighter,,just looked up some spec's

tukernater

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thats why the doo and poo ride FAR better then others.

byronkentgraham

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Big Bore manufacturer CLAIMED ATV dry weights

Polaris Sportsman 850XP-773 lbs
Kawasaki Brute Force 750i-652 lbs
Can-Am Renegade 800R-614 lbs
Can-Am Outlander 800R-669 lbs
Arctic Cat 1000 LTD-772 lbs
Arctic Cat 700 LTD- 701 lbs
(Wet weight)Yamaha Grizzly 700- 641 lbs
Suzuki King Quad 750AXi- 672 lbs
Honda Rincon 680-648 lbs

NOTE: These are all 2011 weights the 2012 Brute Force is 40 lbs heavier with the new power steering and other refinements.

The Can-am weights are VERY inaccurate. They claim the base 800R is the same weight as the XMR

Last edited:

quadboy55

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Big Bore manufacturer CLAIMED ATV dry weights

Polaris Sportsman 850XP-773 lbs
Kawasaki Brute Force 750i-652 lbs
Can-Am Renegade 800R-614 lbs
Can-Am Outlander 800R-669 lbs
Arctic Cat 1000 LTD-772 lbs
Arctic Cat 700 LTD- 701 lbs
(Wet weight)Yamaha Grizzly 700- 641 lbs
Suzuki King Quad 750AXi- 672 lbs

NOTE: These are all 2011 weights the 2012 Brute Force is 40 lbs heavier with the new power steering and other refinements.

The Can-am weights are VERY inaccurate. They claim the base 800R is the same weight as the XMR

Yay for the lightness of the Yammherhammer. :d

leonard

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Quad boy save yourself the time modding a grizzly or king and get a can-am.

By now your already used to the 850xp power even tho its a heavy pig and thats probably why your breaking stuff.

You take Weight .. you add lots of power and a aggressive rider and things break. your bike is trying its best to move that weight but just cant before breakage its simple.

Now that your used to having power though. you would need to mod a single cyl bike to feel adequate and its alot of $ and work to do so, $ and work that otherwise would have you out riding instead of wrenching.

If it was me and i was you id be looking at 2 bikes right now

Can-am 800XMR
or
AC MudPro 1000

Both look to be quality built and ready to go. + have the HP that you want.

-----------------------

on my 2nd point no atv with agressive tires can be held hammer down through skeg and never break parts.

Ive seen 650 brutes break
660 grizz''s
700 grizz's
750 BF's
800 CAN's
and 800 popo's

eventually any bike with break if you hold thumb to handle bar in skeg. and funny thing about that is. most times your worse off going WOT in Skeg anyways creeping through always has served me better aside from jumping the odd hole.

Tire spinning and sudden traction or root catching = broken stuff just keep that in mind.

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

By now your already used to the 850xp power even tho its a heavy pig and thats probably why your breaking stuff.

You take Weight .. you add lots of power and a aggressive rider and things break. your bike is trying its best to move that weight but just cant before breakage its simple.

Now that your used to having power though. you would need to mod a single cyl bike to feel adequate and its alot of $ and work to do so, $ and work that otherwise would have you out riding instead of wrenching.

Can-am 800XMR
or
AC MudPro 1000

-----------------------

on my 2nd point no atv with agressive tires can be held hammer down through skeg and never break parts.

660 grizz''s
700 grizz's
750 BF's
800 CAN's
and 800 popo's

eventually any bike with break if you hold thumb to handle bar in skeg. and funny thing about that is. most times your worse off going WOT in Skeg anyways creeping through always has served me better aside from jumping the odd hole.

Tire spinning and sudden traction or root catching = broken stuff just keep that in mind.

The XMR out weighs the 850 xp and the XP is faster.....The fact is both bikes are great bikes. 55 rides a bike with no snorkels ,floods the belt numerous times and then wonders why the belt housing is leaking,they are not made to do that..Changeing brands won`t solve your problems,....

With brutes it`s belts/wiring ,canam axles,limpmode /overheat, popo the front carrier ....etc etc...All bikes have there issues.

My point is if you don`t know how to ride,or when to let off it is gonna cost you a lotta coin, simple as that regardless of brand....

On a side note my 850 did drag a canam with broken axle/overheat issue home to day...does that make the canam a pos bike ...HELL NO :d

quadboy55

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The XMR out weighs the 850 xp and the XP is faster.....The fact is both bikes are great bikes. 55 rides a bike with no snorkels ,floods the belt numerous times and then wonders why the belt housing is leaking,they are not made to do that..Changeing brands won`t solve your problems,....

With brutes it`s belts/wiring ,canam axles,limpmode /overheat, popo the front carrier ....etc etc...All bikes have there issues.

My point is if you don`t know how to ride,or when to let off it is gonna cost you a lotta coin, simple as that regardless of brand....

On a side note my 850 did drag a canam with broken axle/overheat issue home to day...does that make the canam a pos bike ...HELL NO :d

I know my quad has no snorkels, but how does water get into the belt housing when I'm not even intake/exhaust breather deep?

BTW: That problem has also been solved. The clutch cover is RTV'd and no more water is getting into the housing... Except the ONE time I managed to tip it onto the intake side after testing the RTV and knowing that it worked.

Also, the PC valve was installed wrong from the factory. Upon reversal, no more oil in the airbox (another PoPo problem)

Before we start to point people and name fingers, I do have over 10 years of experience on a 4X4 quad. I've also ridded almost every big bore quad except any of the 'Hams, but I've ridden with 'Ham 800's.

Long story short, how come I can bag a Honda for 5 years straight and it finally lets a diff go, but an XP does it in 6 months?

And My buddy who has a Brute and rides it the same way I do... Has a quad every weekend and I don't?

quadboy55

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Can-am 800XMR
or
AC MudPro 1000

-----------------------

660 grizz''s
700 grizz's
750 BF's
800 CAN's
and 800 popo's

I never take holes in WOT, I some times WOT to get into a water wheelie, but my water wheelies are always in 2wd.

BTW: No Arctic Crap thunder crap for me thanks.. I'm not a fan of any quad AC makes. My uncle had one and it was just as bad as my XP and he doesn't ride nowhere near as hard as I do.

And also, 16K is a tad out of my budget..... Ok, maybe a long shot out of my budget seeing as I'm graduating from highschool.

byronkentgraham

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Since when has wiring been a problem for brutes? I've never heard of that in my life. The belts aren't bad if you don't bag the Pisa out of the machine. I hadn't burnt one yet. Jut buy Teryx belts and it's not a problem.

Problems with Brutes(before 2012)
Over-heating
Intake placement
Weak axles
Rear diffs were a problem at one time
4 wheel drive takes to long to engage
Racks are small with no strap hooks.
Should come stock with fender flares
Not enough good enclosed storage
Should start coming with metal axle guards
Should have a better set up to hold plastic together
Belts were weak
Getting to oilfilter sucks
Drain plug for coolant is in a terrible spot
Don't start well in winter(could just be mine)
Wish they would make a mud-ready model

Most of those are just little details that all machines have but just things I personally don't like.

quadboy55

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Since when has wiring been a problem for brutes? I've never heard of that in my life. The belts aren't bad if you don't bag the Pisa out of the machine. I hadn't burnt one yet. Jut buy Teryx belts and it's not a problem.

Over-heating
Intake placement
Weak axles
Belts were weak

Most of those are just little details that all machines have but just things I personally don't like.

Half those such as rack capacity and storage I don't even care about.

And I seen my friends brute go like friggin snot through just about everything and never seen it fail yet.

4byrookie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Over-heating
Intake placement
Weak axles
Belts were weak

you will find that Kawi's actually have some of the strongest stock axles made, most of the breakages are either cv joints or rider error.
Fender flares? which quad comes with them?
In 08 they put a dry storage on the fender that is almost as good as anyone elses(upside down in a pond it lets a bit of water in:().
Aluminum axle guards, again, name one quad that comes stock with them!
Belts are also some of the strongest made but the clutch and rider technique is what hurts them. Also alot of belt problems are because of aftermarket belts or poorly adjusted clutches.
The only time mine didn't start well in the winter is when it was -30 but I didn't want to start either.
I have never heard of rear diff problems on the brutes but have heard of front diff problems.
Also the oilfilters are one of the easiest to get at that I have seen. My honda was a pain with the internal filter, the 450 Grizz we have is even worse. Mine is easy to get at from the bottom, even with the skids on. Dont know where yours is but even my buddies old 07 Brute had the oil filter in the same spot as mine and he turned his tire and could get at it from there if he wanted.

byronkentgraham

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you will find that Kawi's actually have some of the strongest stock axles made, most of the breakages are either cv joints or rider error.
Fender flares? which quad comes with them?
In 08 they put a dry storage on the fender that is almost as good as anyone elses(upside down in a pond it lets a bit of water in:().
Aluminum axle guards, again, name one quad that comes stock with them!
Belts are also some of the strongest made but the clutch and rider technique is what hurts them. Also alot of belt problems are because of aftermarket belts or poorly adjusted clutches.
The only time mine didn't start well in the winter is when it was -30 but I didn't want to start either.
I have never heard of rear diff problems on the brutes but have heard of front diff problems.
Also the oilfilters are one of the easiest to get at that I have seen. My honda was a pain with the internal filter, the 450 Grizz we have is even worse. Mine is easy to get at from the bottom, even with the skids on. Dont know where yours is but even my buddies old 07 Brute had the oil filter in the same spot as mine and he turned his tire and could get at it from there if he wanted.

I know i'm not bashing the Brute i just wish they would make some steps to get back to the top of the industry. I loved the internal filter on the hondas.

When I was looking around before i bought mine i heard about some differential problems could be the front ones.

I always thought that the brutes had weak axles? i've never broken one but you hear so many stories

Top Bottom