Picked a fine time to leave me....

4byrookie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They still produce great torque from a longer stroke. Might not be the fastest around but it works.

Sent from my white iPhone 4

From what I have seen the singles are almost as fast or faster mid and top speeds as most of the twins but really suffer for bottom end torque. Buddy of mine had 29.5 laws on his Grizz 700, clutched, piped and chipped and he would power out in the middle of a deep mudhole. If he wasn't at high rpm's he couldn't keep the laws turning and once he slowed down he was pretty much hooped. My Brute, with all the same mods, I could idle through the hole, stop in the middle and start out spinning as fast as I felt like. You certainly cannot beat the reliability of the Grizzly though, another buddy ran 29.5laws with everything dead stock and had no belt issues, lost a bunch of power but still got through almost everything he wanted to.
Another friend has a King quad 700 with almost every mod you can do to them, he still has issues turning his 28" Silverbacks in stuff that my Laws turn easy. His quad is and always was faster than mine from about 40kph on though. I have beat my Brute through 1600K of abuse with big tires, lift and other mods from day 1 and I have busted 2 CV joints due to heavy thumb and Laws, other than that it still goes great, oh yah and I have drowned it twice now(oops:d)
If you want the best mix of power and reliability you need a can-am(unfortunately) but any of the machines will last through a good beating, you just seem to have gotten a lemon!!

Canadianking

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
From what I have seen the singles are almost as fast or faster mid and top speeds as most of the twins but really suffer for bottom end torque. Buddy of mine had 29.5 laws on his Grizz 700, clutched, piped and chipped and he would power out in the middle of a deep mudhole. If he wasn't at high rpm's he couldn't keep the laws turning and once he slowed down he was pretty much hooped. My Brute, with all the same mods, I could idle through the hole, stop in the middle and start out spinning as fast as I felt like. You certainly cannot beat the reliability of the Grizzly though, another buddy ran 29.5laws with everything dead stock and had no belt issues, lost a bunch of power but still got through almost everything he wanted to.
Another friend has a King quad 700 with almost every mod you can do to them, he still has issues turning his 28" Silverbacks in stuff that my Laws turn easy. His quad is and always was faster than mine from about 40kph on though. I have beat my Brute through 1600K of abuse with big tires, lift and other mods from day 1 and I have busted 2 CV joints due to heavy thumb and Laws, other than that it still goes great, oh yah and I have drowned it twice now(oops:d)
If you want the best mix of power and reliability you need a can-am(unfortunately) but any of the machines will last through a good beating, you just seem to have gotten a lemon!!

Your buddy with the kingquad and 28 outlaws doesn't have it set up properly for the tires is all. I'm on my secound king with 29.5 outlaws and they never had any trouble turning them in the mud. One had a 10 inch lift and in low it never once had a problem turning tires. I'm not saying they have the same power as the vtwins but its all in the clutching and mods for the kings. I agree that quadboy just got a lemon.

mareshow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How will a xmr HANDLE like a gade with a clutch kit.....lol . It wieghs almost a 1000 lbs has a longer wheelbase,diffrent suspension and is geared lower......I can`t believe how many people bought the xmr that should of bought the xxc....:confused:

i suppose you've never driven one with that comment huh? the only differences i notice between the two is: the X MR is more stable in the corners and hills (you get some tire slide because of the mudders but its not bad), the renegade responds faster (its lighter and thus seems like it has more power),and the rene catwalks easier (shorter wheel base). So if i put a clutch kit in my X MR it should give me a quicker response like my rene had and hopefully the belt wont slip so i can catwalk it easier again haha. Thats my comparison between the two. Sure its geared lower but not that much lower (not very noticeable). and the suspension when set properly is awesome for everything the clutch is the delivery of the power if i make it have better delivery it will be pretty close. sorry for the hi jack :(

dodgeguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
IMO...Quadboy after reading all the threads here, maybe it's the fact you ride the machine harder than you should. But ten years ago I used to ride my bone stock 98 AC 454 4x4 like I stole it, jumped it swamped it over the handle bars....beat the sheet out of it... and never broke a damn thing, and my rider skill at that time was only a couple years, and I used to double quite a bit. I do agree with some on here saying that new machines are built cheap....I agree that is why I bought an old machine, this time.(ok that and my budget...haha;) ) I am not a brand basher or anything, I am thinkin just like some others here, that you got a lemon! Just my two cents worth here...!!:)

quadboy55

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies, there's a ton of grizzlies and hams on the trails, so they did something right. A good deal popped up on a grizz so it's hard not to pass up. I'm looking foreward more to a quad that won't be in the shop more than having a twin. And yeah, with the proper clutching it should spin laws nicely.

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How will a xmr HANDLE like a gade with a clutch kit.....lol . It wieghs almost a 1000 lbs has a longer wheelbase,diffrent suspension and is geared lower......I can`t believe how many people bought the xmr that should of bought the xxc....:confused:
Reny weight 614lbs dry and an XMR weighs 669lbs dry....

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies, there's a ton of grizzlies and hams on the trails, so they did something right. A good deal popped up on a grizz so it's hard not to pass up. I'm looking foreward more to a quad that won't be in the shop more than having a twin. And yeah, with the proper clutching it should spin laws nicely.

That almost sounds like a vote for grizz. :d

...but maybe you just need the PooPoo's military MV800. If you can afford the jet fuel, this looks like it might be reliable alternative.

Attachments

• mv800.jpg
    mv800.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 100

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Reny weight 614lbs dry and an XMR weighs 669lbs dry....

Yeah , and i have ocean front property at lake isle.....Take the seat off and read the sticker on the frame just under the front of the seat .....

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i suppose you've never driven one with that comment huh? the only differences i notice between the two is: the X MR is more stable in the corners and hills (you get some tire slide because of the mudders but its not bad), the renegade responds faster (its lighter and thus seems like it has more power),and the rene catwalks easier (shorter wheel base). So if i put a clutch kit in my X MR it should give me a quicker response like my rene had and hopefully the belt wont slip so i can catwalk it easier again haha. Thats my comparison between the two. Sure its geared lower but not that much lower (not very noticeable). and the suspension when set properly is awesome for everything the clutch is the delivery of the power if i make it have better delivery it will be pretty close. sorry for the hi jack :(

I have owned a gade and ridden an XMR, huge difference designed for two totally different riding styles....While on the subject remove your seat and post the weight listed on the sticker beneath the seat on the frame.....

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Why do i get the strange feeling that whatever you buy, it will start of great and then suddenly become a lemon.......

quadboy55

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Why do i get the strange feeling that whatever you buy, it will start of great and then suddenly become a lemon.......

I dunno, must be a feeling. Out of all my quads, my Polaris had had problem after problem. I had a Honda foreman 500 and it stood up to all the chit and abuse I put my xp through today. The foreman had 1500 km on it and I sold it... Probably a bad mistake on my part, it was bullet proof. I just wish it had IRS, efi and a tad more oomph.

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Having a third of the power,smaller tires,3 wheel drive might have a little to do with it....lol

youngpolarisguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Having a third of the power,smaller tires,3 wheel drive might have a little to do with it....lol

I agree with rzrgade maybe a griss or honda somthing with less power where the thumb can't do as much damage. Remember with great power comes great responsibility. :d

quadboy55

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I had similar tires on my Foreman, only difference was instead of 'Zillas it had MudLites.

Great power... yadda yadda, that was a pretty funny quote, but it seems like Polaris didn't build it to handle the power, in some of the previous posts there are stories of 'Hams going to hell and back with monsterous power and no broken diffs.

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They are around about 940 lbs...
Better get a scale dude. My 07 with skids and a small box on the back is 775 lbs full of gas ready to go....your talking Polaris ATV numbers there....

One of the boys on another site weighed his 08 Renny at 730 full of gas with skids.

Found this as well: "Outlander Max LTD, we went to the government weigh scales, quad had a full tank of fuel, front and rear rack extentions and BRP bags, and XTR's 11.5 and 9's, the weight of my unit was 930lbs".....so maybe the XMR might be around 900....yikes.

Last edited:

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
850 , 900 what`s the difference both frickin heavy....However if there is a bottom the heavier quads go better anyhow....I just get tired of everyone thinking the only heavy quad is the popo...All the big bore quads twins are heavy, big deal, they still haul ass....

Twig

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
850 , 900 what`s the difference both frickin heavy....However if there is a bottom the heavier quads go better anyhow....I just get tired of everyone thinking the only heavy quad is the popo...All the big bore quads twins are heavy, big deal, they still haul ass....

The brute is not heavy, almost 200 pounds lighter. :d

Top Bottom