Pemberton snowmobiler found

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Missing snowmobiler rescued thanks to weather break, survival skills

By Sam Cooper, The ProvinceMarch 22, 2010

It was both a miraculous rescue, and a brilliant display of survival skills.

That's what police and search teams said after a male Burnaby snowmobiler who had been lost for 48 hours was rescued Monday afternoon on a vast glacier near Pemberton.

Carl Mulherin, 33, was found at 2 p.m. near a snow cave that he had dug, just as a helicopter search was about to be called off due to bad weather, said Pemberton search manager Dave Steers.

Mulherin had been snowmobiling with two friends in an area called Top of the World glacier, when his sled broke down at 4 p.m. Saturday, Steers said.

Mulherin's friends didn't notice he had fallen behind until too late. They had to descend 55 km to Highway 99 to access cellphones and report Mulherin missing, at about 8:30 p.m. Saturday.

The search for Mulherin couldn't begin until Sunday morning, and extremely bad weather made it "very, very difficult," for ground and aerial crews, Steers said.

The search resumed Monday with about 20 rescuers from Pemberton and Whistler scouring the glacier.

At about 2 p.m., "we had a [weather] window of opportunity that looked like it was closing, and just as it was closing we found Mulherin," Steers said.

He was spotted from a Blackcomb A-star helicopter by search manager Russel McNulty, standing in the snow and waving both arms frantically.

When the chopper touched down, McNolty said "I gather you're the man we're looking for," to Mulherin, who was "grinning from ear to ear," Steers reported. The snowmobiler didn't require any medical attention.

"Mulherin expressed a lot of relief at not having to spend another night in the snow cave," Steers said.

In fact, Mulherin was such a cool head, that he reported to rescuers that he was enlarging his snow cave and "making some renovations and decorations" on Monday, when he realized he might have to camp out for another night.

Staff Sgt. Steve LeClair of the Whistler RCMP said search teams feared the worst with every passing hour.

"To be honest I wasn't optimistic that he'd live," LeClair said. "We thought maybe he'd started an avalanche or walked into a crevasse."

"He was fortunate that he had a good supply of food and water and was dressed warmly," LeClair added.

LeClair said Mulherin's immediate family, including his father in Eastern Canada, "are ecstatic" after hearing about his survival.

Rescuers stress that snowmobilers should invest in satellite phones, if venturing into the backcountry.

Good on S&R again!

powderhoundbrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good on him. He sounds like he knew what he was doing. But what were his friends doing. We never leave the alpine or main riding areas until all our friends are accounted for. If I was this guy my friends would have to buy a lot of rounds before it was OK that they left me 55 kms in.

Again good for him for having the survival skills out there.

farwest

Reaction score
That's good news !!! While I know first hand how easy it is to get split up when you are out having fun, I only let it happen once in our group before we had a heart to heart about keeping track of each other first and foremost on a ride.

Grizzly Adams

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So his buddies left him because .................
1.Ran out of beer
2.Ran out of rolling papers
3.Cabin had no vcr to watch Scarface
4.2 for 1 special was only limited time offer from the fat Ho at the Pem ho
????????????????????????????????????????

Just wondering?

teamti

Reaction score
FYI - a VHF radio will hit repeaters too from Top of the World Glacier. So either a sat phone or a VHF would work. Nice to have the VHF too for logging roads

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
even a SPOT would let SAR and your contacts know that you are OK and your location. But the buddies should of never let it get that far in the first place.

polarice

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
--- extreme weather comes in and the guys knowing he has the survival tools to stay at least one night ... if they cant find him and the rest get stranded now they are looking for three instead of one ..if someone reports them missing ...as dumb as it may sound whats the chances the guys did the right thing.... but id still kick them in the berries

fnDan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It should be pretty hard to lose a guy in a group of three!
I could see it happening in a bigger group when one group thinks the guy is with the other. I would guess they were racing back to the truck and realized way too late that their buddy wasn't just behind them. Just a wild guess though.
If I lose sight of riding buddies then I pull over and wait. If they don't show up within 5 or 10 minutes then I head back. Rino's with the 2 way radio make this much faster and having a Spot might have saved the guy some time spent out in the cold.
One punch in the swim trunks by the the hot tub is a great reminder.
If you're still friends at least the hot tub will help with the pain.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It should be pretty hard to lose a guy in a group of three!
I could see it happening in a bigger group when one group thinks the guy is with the other. I would guess they were racing back to the truck and realized way too late that their buddy wasn't just behind them. Just a wild guess though.
If I lose sight of riding buddies then I pull over and wait. If they don't show up within 5 or 10 minutes then I head back. Rino's with the 2 way radio make this much faster and having a Spot might have saved the guy some time spent out in the cold.
One punch in the swim trunks by the the hot tub is a great reminder.
If you're still friends at least the hot tub will help with the pain.
still laughing....

rgutmann

Reaction score
even a SPOT would let SAR and your contacts know that you are OK and your location. But the buddies should of never let it get that far in the first place.
Spot would have worked great, time for new friends. Good outcome to a bad situation...

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just saw the news report and they didn't portray sledders as a bunch of boozin' rednecks for once.

vic

Reaction score
Agree with the spot idea.But 4pm ,guys you lots of daylight left to find him.WTF who needs enemies with friends like that.

my mod

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree, With friends like that, who needs enemys!!
Every sled I ever rode seemed to leave a trail behind it that I could track back to where I came from. Maybe I just bought bad sleds.:rolleyes: I think if they were on their way back to the barn, they would have at least made sure everyone was out of any ravines or wherever they were before everyone had a fist full of throttle

Top Bottom